Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BirminghamFox

RIP Frank Worthington :(

He was playing in the first City match I ever went to but that was the only time I saw him in a Leicester shirt. If we'd held on to him we might have stayed up in the 77/78 season but he left and Keith Weller was refusing to come back from America if I remember rightly and we had one of our worst seasons ever.

He was one of those players of whom it was said at the time that they would add 2 or 3,000 spectators to the gate.

I recall at school in the mid 70s, one of the lads was reputed to own one of the football cards that we all collected of Frank Worthington but he was refusing to swap it for any price. He wouldn't even part with it for a Kevin Keegan, a Malcolm MacDonald or a George Best.

• Like 1

First of all RIP Worthy always a foxes legend!

Secondly thank you to everyone on this thread for sharing their personal stories. 

I was only a kid back in the 70's and my older brothers never took me to a home game at Filbert street probably so they don't have

to baby sit me and party for my own safety lol. I do remember their stories of what they witnessed and watching Frank's goals on MOTD.

Always was proud that a player so supremely talented played for Leicester City. Manu fans had Best we had Worthy! 

• Like 1

Football was in his blood :

Father Eric was released by Manchester United before World War Two and went on to play for Halifax as an inside forward and mother Alice turned out as a centre-forward for the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Frank was every mans idea of their ideal best mate, unless your wife fancied him of course. Anyone too young to remember him play should go search out any and all videos that are available, an absolute gift to football and he happened to play for a club called Leicester City; amongst others. A real character has departed and there are never too many of those.

• Like 1

Not much I can say that hasn’t already been said. But if any of the family read this thread to see how much he was loved by the fans, then I’d go as far as to say he was the initial spark in my life-long love affair with the beautiful game. Deserves every grateful comment from those of us fortunate enough to have witnessed his time at the club. 

• Like 1

Lucky enough to see him play in the first game my dad ever took me too, beat West Ham 1-0 (Kember), dad still rates him and Weller as the best players he saw for the Foxes. I still remember my first visit to Filbert Street as a 7yo very well....especially the toilets😂

RIP Frank, thank you for the memories you created for both me and my dad.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Look at Le Tissier he only got about 10. Part of it will be playing for an unfashionable club, part of it is at times we are scared of these maverick player, the ultra skillful game changers.

It's why Grealish could face a similar fate I think.

RIP to him also. Only ever hear things about him that tells me he'd have been right up my street as a player. Can completely get why people loved him.

I'm another one who's Leicester supporting time came after his legend... But to be THE legendary name of an entire era or generation prove's that we love the underdog mavericks with style and personality. And he was obviously the King of the Mavericks.

The King is dead...

LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

Edited by LC/FC
  • Like 1

“We stood there, looking at each other, eye to eye. He was talking to me and his eyes never left mine, but he must have flicked the ball up 47 times. He flicked it up and caught it behind him on his neck, down the back of his neck, hoofed it over his back and caught it on his foot, something I could never do if I played forever. I thought, ‘How do you give him a telling-off when he’s doing that?’” – the late Ian Greaves describing an attempt to give Frank Worthington a rollocking during their time at Huddersfield. Worthington, the maverick’s maverick,

• Like 3

Sad news indeed.  Many memories of seeing him at Filbert Street, but one recollection that immediately comes to mind was watching on TV as he came on as a sub for England and playing wonderfully - the commentator said he did not think a substitute had ever affected a game so much as Worthington did that evening (in #17 shirt I think).

• Like 1