Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

Is Elvis Hammond good enough?

Elvis Hammond. the big vote  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is Elvis Hammond good enough for this club?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, give him time
    • Not sure, i'll wait and see

i've noticed that loads of you are slagging off elvis hammond all of a sudden

it's funny how things change, at the start fans were chanting to get elvis on the pitch. it's funny how things can just turn around like that. well, that's football i suppose.

i understand the frustrations, and i must admit the price we paid for him i thought was very high at the time. 250,000 for a 25 year old striker who had never scored a goal! crazy, fulham were laughing.

elvis hammond and in a way momo sylla are the new jordan stewart and mark de vries. the fickle boneheads need somebody to blame. when hammond starts scoring people will love him, when momo puts 100 per cent in, they will love him too. i suppose there are reasons to dis-like these 2 players but they dont deserve the flack they are getting on here.

i've noticed that loads of you are slagging off elvis hammond all of a sudden

it's funny how things change, at the start fans were chanting to get elvis on the pitch. it's funny how things can just turn around like that. well, that's football i suppose.

i understand the frustrations, and i must admit the price we paid for him i thought was very high at the time. 250,000 for a 25 year old striker who had never scored a goal! crazy, fulham were laughing.

I don't think we're that annoyed with him. I think he could turn out to be alright for us. He does need to score though. Remember, Hume has only scored 1 too.

I've got confidence in Elvis, he scored against Derby but it was disallowed (when he wasn't offside). He proved to me then that he knew where the net was because it was a true striker’s finish. Give the lad time, he's been unlucky.

What bothers me is that he's got to 25 years old without showing any results as a striker.

Natural strikers just seem to score goals whether it's in a playground or at Wembley.

Steve Claridge was that sort. No-one can tell me he looked a sophisticated footballer. He was like Crouch in that way - points for technical impression zero.

But if ever there was a mellee in the goalmouth and the ball bounced into the net off someone's knee it was always Claridge's.

I reckon it was half his secret that opponents were forever lured into thinking he'd lost control of the ball and he hadn't quite. Just a little poke beyond the outstretched foot and - goal!

That's the problem with Hammond - he doesn't score any goals like that. Times he's been in a good position but instead of doing simply what's required he's blasted it - either straight at the goallie, or just wide.

It isn't all bad luck - it's bad thinking. Same as being offside. Every striker gets offside. But ruthless striker's work out why and quickly adjust to the defence or officials of the day. Hammond just isn't ruthless enough in that way.

He lacks two other things vital to a centre-forward...an outstanding first touch and the ability to shield the ball from persistent and strong defenders.

Dickov was brilliant at that - and knew he'd get a good percentage of free kicks as a result but also that, once the defender started to get cautious, he'd turn him and bang, another goal.

The ONLY way of getting goals out of Hammond is through his pace, through others selflessly making space for him to run into. Then, with some tuition to make him more clinical in his finishing just maybe you'd make a support striker out of him.

But doing the above takes more sophistication than we're likely to have in the City team and would he ever be a thoroughbred striker - never.

Too few strengths. Pace he might have (like lots of attackers) but he doesn't shoot to kill, he's not a great header of the ball, doesn't have great dribbling skills, isn't a natural twist and turner and doesn't have the instincts of a natural striker like Jimmy Greaves.

Hope I'm wrong but my answer to the question: no chance. :(:(:(

I don't think Hammond is good enough for this club but I prefer him over Hume. De Vries and Elvis should be a good partnership if Hammond had better awareness and better movement.

I think you just gave two reasons why he's probably not good enough, you seem a bit mixed up, why if Hammond hasn't got awareness or better movement do you prefer him to Hume :rolleyes::ermm::huh::mellow::unsure:

Because Hume also doesn't have those qualities and Hammond is faster than Hume so will get onto De Vries' flick ons and passes.

Well I'll have to disagree with then.

I think Hammond is lacking in 3 crucial areas to become a decent striker at this level;

1) Finishing - What can you say? It's simply woeful at times.

2) Awareness - He doesn't quite have the footballing brain to pick out others in better positions. Also, he's gets caught offisde for too often.

3) Strength - Does get knocked off the ball a little too easily.

Saying that, I think his pace and direct running does cause problems for opposition defenders. He does work the flanks well and gets in to positions to score - unfortunately, he lacks composure and technique in front of goal.

He's a very useful option coming off the bench, but I don't think he's starting material at present. With more coaching and guidance from the coaching staff, I'm sure he'll improve.

the stats say it all. he is 25 and has scored 1 goal in english football i think, + 2 abroad in holland, thats it. he is abysmal, if i was a centre back i would be unhappy with that record.

GET HIM OUT, because he is no benefit to the team, bring on Chambers, Graham and Dodds!

GET HIM OUT, because he is no benefit to the team, bring on Chambers, Graham and Dodds!

how things change, hero to villain for the lad. i agree he still has alot to prove, but chambers, graham and dodds don't appear in my opinion to be the answer. though, i wouldn't argue against them being given a chance.

lets look on the bright side, thierry henry was a shocking finisher when he started at arsenal and was even taken the piss out of by his team-mates for it at the time. though to be fair to him he was initially a winger. o.k i'm clutching at straws

• 9 months later...

Hammond is a terrible footballer. His touch is awful, he runs with his head down and he hasnt got a footballing brain. I just dont know how he became a footballer, there must of been so many better players than him in his academy side. Yes, he has got pace, but he isnt going to get any better as he is already 26. His record is dire, a defender would be dissappointment with the number of goals Elvis has scored. Not even worth playing!

Hammond is a terrible footballer. His touch is awful, he runs with his head down and he hasnt got a footballing brain. I just dont know how he became a footballer, there must of been so many better players than him in his academy side. Yes, he has got pace, but he isnt going to get any better as he is already 26. His record is dire, a defender would be dissappointment with the number of goals Elvis has scored. Not even worth playing!

I tend to agree, his pace does not compensate for skill enough to warrant a start in the team!!!

No first touch, can't shoot without it going straight to the keeper, doesn't use his pace (remember when he first came on loan? he was lightning fast) holds onto the ball for too long. That's what i toook from last nights game about him, i thought he was better than last nights performance but maybe I was wrong?

Archived