Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers explains ideal signing profile as he sets out Leicester City transfer plan

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-soumare-transfer-rodgers-5451672

The Leicester City manager outlined where he wants to strengthen his squad, and the kind of characteristics he will be looking for, in this summer's transfer window

ByJordan Blackwell
16:56, 24 MAY 2021UPDATED17:14, 24 MAY 2021
SPORT

Leicester City will look to bolster their squad this summer with players who have tasted glory, manager Brendan Rodgers has said.

City finished fifth for the second straight season, missing out on a place in the Champions League after a final-day defeat to Tottenham saw them finish a point behind Chelsea.

After back-to-back campaigns of pushing the elite all of the way, City will have a third attempt at finishing in the top four next season.

To do that, Rodgers wants to use the summer transfer window to sign players who understand the mentality of winning, which he believes will help his young squad – winners themselves after lifting the FA Cup last weekend – especially considering the departures of experienced duo Wes Morgan and Christian Fuchs.

The City boss also said he wanted to strengthen his attacking options, with the club likely to be keen on a new winger, as well as a new striker to push Jamie Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho.

A greater physical presence is also wanted by Rodgers, with Lille’s box-to-box midfielder Boubakary Soumare, who helped his club win the French title on Sunday, on their radar.

“We'll want to strengthen at the top end of the field,” Rodgers said after the 4-2 loss to Spurs. “We need more of a goal threat, and we need to have a bit more physicality in the team.

“It's also a mindset as well. I want to bring in one or two players who have that winning feeling, that mentality of winning, to add that to the group of talented players we hope will continue to progress.

“It's not just about bringing players in. It's about bringing players in who have the right profile and having that right mentality as a start point.

“Maybe players who have won something or have that feeling of competing at the top end with their respective teams. That's something that can help the team.

“We're also losing players with experience so it's important to bring in experience to it as well.

“It's a very exciting period ahead, it’s hard now because we’ve put so much into the season, but we'll go away and have a rest and get back ready for the summer with a few new additions to help the team and let's see if we can keep pushing on.”

As always, bringing players in is only one half of the summer transfer window for City. They must also attempt to keep hold of their current talents, who they cannot offer Champions League football to.

City have sold a big-name star in each of the past five summers, and it was not a topic Rodgers was considering after the game.

“It’s not something I’m thinking about now,” he said. “We’ll see what the summer brings.

"We want to bring in players that can improve the squad, we'll see what evolves over the course of the summer and if there are bids for players or what not.

“It's not something I've considered too much, to be honest.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

I still wouldn't be surprised if we went in for McGregor as he can fill a number of midfield rolls, particularly if we lose Praet, Choudhury and Mendy.

If physicality is what he's after in midfield then I can't see him making a move for McGregor, especially if Soumare signs as McGregor is similar in that one of his main strengths is he's a ball carrier.

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

If physicality is what he's after in midfield then I can't see him making a move for McGregor, especially if Soumare signs as McGregor is similar in that one of his main strengths is he's a ball carrier.

But it's the number of different positions McGregor can play that makes me feel he would be a very good addition to the squad, added to his experience.

11 minutes ago, foxgas said:

A goalkeeper who can command the penalty area to take pressure off defenders and distribute the ball well should be first priority. 

Ahead of wingers and attacking players that can create and score goals?

• Like 2

Please sign a top quality RW.

We're a completely different animal with a full firing Barnes and Maddison. I can't be doing with another season of WB's.

Ideal window for me:

1) Schmeichel

2) Ward

3) Thomas

4) Ricardo

5) Castagne

6) Justin

7) Evans

8) Fofana

9) Soyuncu

10) Tarkowski?????????????????

11) Ndidi

12) Tielemans

13) Soumare??????????????????

14) Dewsbury Hall

15) ??????????????????????????

16) Barnes

17) Maddison

18) Trinicao???????????????????

19) Albrighton

20) Sowah

21) ??????????????????????????

22) Vardy

23) iheanacho

24) Edouard???????????????????????

Sell

Mendy

Choudhury

Praet

Amartey

Perez

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Ahead of wingers and attacking players that can create and score goals?

Thank god there was no Foxestalk when we sold Banks to bring Shilton through. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Please sign a top quality RW.

We're a completely different animal with a full firing Barnes and Maddison. I can't be doing with another season of WB's.

Ideal window for me:

1) Schmeichel

2) Ward

3) Thomas

4) Ricardo

5) Castagne

6) Justin

7) Evans

8) Fofana

9) Soyuncu

10) Tarkowski?????????????????

11) Ndidi

12) Tielemans

13) Soumare??????????????????

14) Dewsbury Hall

15) ??????????????????????????

16) Barnes

17) Maddison

18) Trinicao???????????????????

19) Albrighton

20) Sowah

21) ??????????????????????????

22) Vardy

23) iheanacho

24) Edouard???????????????????????

Sell

Mendy

Choudhury

Praet

Amartey

Perez

i genuinely can't imagine a window where we are bringing in 6 players to the squad. simply won't happen. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, foxgas said:

A goalkeeper who can command the penalty area to take pressure off defenders and distribute the ball well should be first priority. 

You can't be serious, can you? GK is about the last thing we need.

First priority is a winger or a striker.

• Like 3

Just now, Greg2607 said:

i genuinely can't imagine a window where we are bringing in 6 players to the squad. simply won't happen. 

But it is needed if we lose

Mendy, Choudhury, Praet, Armarty and possibly Perez. In addition, Fuchs and Morgan have also been released / retired. We didn't replace Gray or Ghazzel either. Benkovik is another that could leave as well as the uncertainty around Tielemans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxgas said:

Thank god there was no Foxestalk when we sold Banks to bring Shilton through. 

Haha! Well I'm fairly confident that Iversen is on track to be our first choice keeper in the next 18-24 months.

Are you saying you put more of a premium on catching set pieces rather than scoring goals? Or are you just reacting to Kasper's howler at the weekend and stuck on that?

41 minutes ago, foxgas said:

We’re in the minority I’m afraid, people must be blind or just plain ignorant not see his distribution is absolutely woeful

• Sad 1

Guest Bert Fill
3 minutes ago, lanefox said:

We’re in the minority I’m afraid, people must be blind or just plain ignorant not see his distribution is absolutely woeful

Or - just a thought, and an alternative one to your sweepingly patronising comment - maybe people are perfectly aware of his shortcomings, but reckon that on balance over the last ten years he’s been much more good than bad?

Oh - also, do you think a keeper who was a fantastic shotstopper, dominated the box, had superb ball skills and distribution, and never made a mistake (if such a creature exists), would have been at Leicester for the last ten years, rather than Real Madrid, Man Utd etc?

28 minutes ago, lanefox said:

It's not even about his ability though...it's about complete misuse of the word priority. We've had to change our way of playing the past 2/3 months because Rodgers doesn't rate our attacking players lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

But it is needed if we lose

Mendy, Choudhury, Praet, Armarty and possibly Perez. In addition, Fuchs and Morgan have also been released / retired. We didn't replace Gray or Ghazzel either. Benkovik is another that could leave as well as the uncertainty around Tielemans.

Yes but that's just a wish list of people you want to see moved on.  Reality is Mendy choudary AND Praet aren't going.  One of 3, probably, 2 of 3, possibly. But not all 3.  Amartey might be held onto as a utility player. Who buys Perez???  Fuchs goes, but Thomas steps up.  We do need a CB in reality with Morgan going, but a starter?? Maybe not. If soumare comes, then Ndidi drops back in an emergency. RW, CM, ST Is what I can see happening. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Yes but that's just a wish list of people you want to see moved on.  Reality is Mendy choudary AND Praet aren't going.  One of 3, probably, 2 of 3, possibly. But not all 3.  Amartey might be held onto as a utility player. Who buys Perez???  Fuchs goes, but Thomas steps up.  We do need a CB in reality with Morgan going, but a starter?? Maybe not. If soumare comes, then Ndidi drops back in an emergency. RW, CM, ST Is what I can see happening. 

It certainly isn't a wish list - it's the reality of what we have seen this season.

Choudhury wants more game time and in essence isn't good enough for where we are aiming for.

Praet should stay and I rate him - BR obviously doesn't. You can't expect a Belgian international to want to hang around sitting on the bench for another season.

Mendy - BR has stated we need more physicality at 5' 6" he's hardly a giant. 

Amartey - It says a lot about BR's trust in him as a utility player/back up centre half when he decides to replace Fofana with a midfielder, rather than Amartey in our final game.

Perez has had 2 seasons here and has made no impact. He will thrive in Spain or Italy and, just like Slimani, we made need to take a hit on him, financially.

It's not a matter of Thomas stepping up, it's more that Fuchs and Morgan offered experience - that's why I'm not against Betrand joining. You can't expect Thomas to play at a high level of consistency throughout a long season at 19 years of age.

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Since returning to the PL here's the number of first team squad players we've brought in;

2015 - 9

2016 - 8

2017 - 7

2018 - 7

2019 - 4

2020 - 2

Some of those will be January transfers.

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Since returning to the PL here's the number of first team squad players we've brought in;

2015 - 9

2016 - 8

2017 - 7

2018 - 7

2019 - 4

2020 - 2

Some of those will be January transfers.

I stand corrected then. Albeit, it appears we are bringing in less people at a higher price as time goes on?  in 2018 we spent £82.5m on Incomings but that was offset by £60m from Mahrez....  in 2019 we bought in justin, Perez, Tielemans, Praet, but that was offset by £80m on Maguire..... unless we are selling a big name this year.... can you see 6 players but no outgoing star??

• Like 1