Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I refuse to ever look at this topic ever again... I have enough guilt in my life as it is :ph34r:

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1
Posted
2 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I've started counting my alcohol units on an app and I average about 25-30 units a week. If i didn't do this, I suspect I'd be at 30-40. There's obv some weeks that are way higher (eg stag dos/holidays) and lower when i try and have a week or two off. I started counting because i read an article about how consuming 35 units or more is really bad for your brain. When i looked up how much I drank, I realised I wasn't far off. I also have friends who drink far more than me so I'd always assumed I was fine.  I'd like to get my average down a bit further but i do find it hard. 

 

My issue is that beer and pubs are one of my main hobbies. I don't really drink anything apart from beer, and could happily leave alcohol if I was somewhere where the drink selection didn't interest me. 

 

When i go out, i exclusively go to places with a good beer selection and like to drink 3-4 pints so I can try a few different ones. I find if I can avoid drinking in the week I can get my units down as it's so ingrained in me to have a drink at the weekend. 

Pretty much exactly the same as you on all aspects. Counting units really helps, I try to be at 15 a week and when I’m at 13/14 my mind stops me from drinking anymore. I drink slowly on big days out because of it.

I don’t drink during the week, I do a lot of client entertaining or am entertained and honestly no one cares or notices if you’re drinking or not.

Likewise if go somewhere new I’ll want to try a few taps, half pints are great for this. Again no one notices when you’re on halves 

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I've started counting my alcohol units on an app and I average about 25-30 units a week. If i didn't do this, I suspect I'd be at 30-40. There's obv some weeks that are way higher (eg stag dos/holidays) and lower when i try and have a week or two off. I started counting because i read an article about how consuming 35 units or more is really bad for your brain. When i looked up how much I drank, I realised I wasn't far off. I also have friends who drink far more than me so I'd always assumed I was fine.  I'd like to get my average down a bit further but i do find it hard. 

 

My issue is that beer and pubs are one of my main hobbies. I don't really drink anything apart from beer, and could happily leave alcohol if I was somewhere where the drink selection didn't interest me. 

 

When i go out, i exclusively go to places with a good beer selection and like to drink 3-4 pints so I can try a few different ones. I find if I can avoid drinking in the week I can get my units down as it's so ingrained in me to have a drink at the weekend. 

This is why I left untappd. Probs gone down to about 20 units a week- all consumed at a weekend. I will probably push further in the new year. But I can go 6/7 days without any alcohol, so I’m quite happy! It’s the weekend pub crawl/ sporting outing that gets me.

Posted

I think even if a doctor told me I needed to quit I probably wouldn't. As above, I'll just try and stick to the half pints and small cans. 

Posted

I think the frustrating thing for me is that I’ve always been quite a moderate drinker. For years I’d only ever drink on one or two nights a week max and it would never be to the point of being hammered, even during times when I’ve been depressed. This time I’ve been more isolated and alcohol became my best mate. And I know that I could only ever drink again if the rest of my life is stable because I know can have a healthy relationship with it at that point. I just hope this run has been a one off. 

Posted

I've drunk too much lowish % beer for my entire adult life. I know it's not a good thing, 3-4 cans a night forever, and I can not drink if I'm ill or at a relatives etc, but it's an evil little thing that you keep doing even when you know you shouldn't but somehow can't ever stop. I know I should stop but don't really know where to begin with that. 

Posted
22 hours ago, Officer Doofy said:

Genuinely find the 0% stuff much nicer when it's hot out. Give it a whirl. 

 

I genuinely dislike Corona but the Cero version is actually good

I found that when I first stopped I could tell the difference but now after a few years it just tastes like normal beer. Ive no doubt it tastes much weaker or watery to someone who still drinks but for me AF just scratches the itch. Ive also found when going away with mates on weekends that most of Europe has a fantastic choice as well so I don't feel like ive missed out.

  • Like 1
Posted
30 minutes ago, foxy tiler said:

I found that when I first stopped I could tell the difference but now after a few years it just tastes like normal beer. Ive no doubt it tastes much weaker or watery to someone who still drinks but for me AF just scratches the itch. Ive also found when going away with mates on weekends that most of Europe has a fantastic choice as well so I don't feel like ive missed out.

Cricket training tonight.....Always stick around for a couple of beers after in the club house but will be 0% as I am determined to drop it in the week. 

 

Also after any kind of exertion I always feel like shit when drinking afterwards. 

 

 

It's just a great option 

  • Like 2
Posted
27 minutes ago, Officer Doofy said:

Cricket training tonight.....Always stick around for a couple of beers after in the club house but will be 0% as I am determined to drop it in the week. 

 

Also after any kind of exertion I always feel like shit when drinking afterwards. 

 

 

It's just a great option 

Absolutely hope the cricket goes well👍

Posted
13 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Pretty much exactly the same as you on all aspects. Counting units really helps, I try to be at 15 a week and when I’m at 13/14 my mind stops me from drinking anymore. I drink slowly on big days out because of it.

I don’t drink during the week, I do a lot of client entertaining or am entertained and honestly no one cares or notices if you’re drinking or not.

Likewise if go somewhere new I’ll want to try a few taps, half pints are great for this. Again no one notices when you’re on halves 

 

I've read about your tactics before and thought they seemed very sound (Friday and Sat only). My only issue would be the rigidity of it (which is probably why it works). For example, I'm in Bakewell on Sunday and there's no way i'd be able to forego going to the Thornbridge taproom because it was outside my drinking days lol. I find half pints a little bit too small, 2/3rds are perfect but not everywhere does them. 

 

12 hours ago, westernpark said:

This is why I left untappd. Probs gone down to about 20 units a week- all consumed at a weekend. I will probably push further in the new year. But I can go 6/7 days without any alcohol, so I’m quite happy! It’s the weekend pub crawl/ sporting outing that gets me.

I think you're right and I need to do the same. It's a great research tool though and I use it to scope places out. My worst nightmare is going to a new place and ending up at some generic pub that only does macrolager, Guinness, and Doombar and therefore I'm wasting a good chunk of my weekly allowance lol

 

2 hours ago, foxy tiler said:

I found that when I first stopped I could tell the difference but now after a few years it just tastes like normal beer. Ive no doubt it tastes much weaker or watery to someone who still drinks but for me AF just scratches the itch. Ive also found when going away with mates on weekends that most of Europe has a fantastic choice as well so I don't feel like ive missed out.

I think the non alcoholic beers are great. They definitely scratch the itch if you want a beer midweek at home. The 0.5% ones are much better than the 0% ones. I recently bought a load of Mash Gang Chug IPA off their website- it's the closest thing to a NEIPA i've had. I also like Charnwood Brewery Masquerade and Erdinger 0.5%. The non alcoholic selection is usually just the crap macro lagers when you go out, but I find the Guinness zero to be decent. 

  • Like 2
Posted
30 minutes ago, Officer Doofy said:

And Charnwood at least put the Masquerade on draft in their pubs

I did have an eggy one at the Fox Cub a month or so back. Maybe it's because it doesn't get the throughput 

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Stay strong, its great that you can see the positives that have come from the effort you have put in. It’s not easy but you have proved its worth the hard work.

I’ve got a lot of respect for everything you have done in those 10month and wish I could say I’ve done the same 

  • Thanks 1
Posted
14 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Never sure on whether to post this here or in the depression thread, as it ties in to both.

 

So I had posted abouy my sobriety, which I started December 1st of last year. I did have a couple one days slips, where I'd been upset about something, but this weekend I went back to old ways, where I was drinking all day for 3 straight days.

 

Today is a bit of a nightmare, because I get terrible 'hang-xiety' when I finally stop. Of course there's the temptation of just pouring myself a beer and that feeling will go away, but I am trying not to do that.

 

Trying to remember that in 10 months,  I've been sober for 95% of it and in that time I was feeling a lot better about myself. Losing 40 pounds has been great and the saved money was a good bonus.

 

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Was hard enough typing, because I'm shaky as f**k and I just want this day to be over.

 

 

On 29/07/2026 at 23:01, spacemunky said:

Nothing to feel guilty about. Live your life how you want to. 

 

For myself my life without alcohol has been better. I was never a 'casual' drinker and I never will be. 

 

I didn't get the doctor's warning, mostly 'cuz I never seen one lol But, I am in my mid 50's and I started getting sick a lot. 

 

Now, almost 8 months in(with two 1 day slips) I am feeling much better.

 

No more acid reflux. No more waking up soaking wet. No more waking up in a state of panic. I mean, I have some general panic, but that's just how I am! 

 

Lost a lot of weight and I am walking every day.

 

Now, it didn't solve all my problems, but it certainly took away one.

Easier said than done to not beat yourself up over it.  But you've been smashing it and a slip up doesn't undo all the good work this year that's given you positive results you posted back in July.

 

Battle through mate.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Never sure on whether to post this here or in the depression thread, as it ties in to both.

 

So I had posted about my sobriety, which I started December 1st of last year. I did have a couple one days slips, where I'd been upset about something, but this weekend I went back to old ways, where I was drinking all day for 3 straight days.

 

Today is a bit of a nightmare, because I get terrible 'hang-xiety' when I finally stop. Of course there's the temptation of just pouring myself a beer and that feeling will go away, but I am trying not to do that.

 

Trying to remember that in 10 months,  I've been sober for 95% of it and in that time I was feeling a lot better about myself. Losing 40 pounds has been great and the saved money was a good bonus.

 

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Was hard enough typing, because I'm shaky as f**k and I just want this day to be over.

 

 

Dig in brother. 

 

You can do it, you've already proved it. 

 

I'm on the last day of an all inclusive holiday and to be totally honest I've taken the absolute piss. I need to have a proper break and this week has highlighted some serious weaknesses.

 

You are already ahead of me. Do what makes you feel good the majority of the time, not the minority. 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Posted
1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Never sure on whether to post this here or in the depression thread, as it ties in to both.

 

So I had posted about my sobriety, which I started December 1st of last year. I did have a couple one days slips, where I'd been upset about something, but this weekend I went back to old ways, where I was drinking all day for 3 straight days.

 

Today is a bit of a nightmare, because I get terrible 'hang-xiety' when I finally stop. Of course there's the temptation of just pouring myself a beer and that feeling will go away, but I am trying not to do that.

 

Trying to remember that in 10 months,  I've been sober for 95% of it and in that time I was feeling a lot better about myself. Losing 40 pounds has been great and the saved money was a good bonus.

 

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Was hard enough typing, because I'm shaky as f**k and I just want this day to be over.

 

 

Ive often replied to your posts as youre in exactly the same situation as i am. I understand the shakes and all the other withdrawel symptons that come with it. Just dont let it get you down as youve done so well. Just drink plenty of water and let the alcohol pass through your system. Chin up 👍👍👍

  • Thanks 1
Posted
1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Never sure on whether to post this here or in the depression thread, as it ties in to both.

 

So I had posted about my sobriety, which I started December 1st of last year. I did have a couple one days slips, where I'd been upset about something, but this weekend I went back to old ways, where I was drinking all day for 3 straight days.

 

Today is a bit of a nightmare, because I get terrible 'hang-xiety' when I finally stop. Of course there's the temptation of just pouring myself a beer and that feeling will go away, but I am trying not to do that.

 

Trying to remember that in 10 months,  I've been sober for 95% of it and in that time I was feeling a lot better about myself. Losing 40 pounds has been great and the saved money was a good bonus.

 

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Was hard enough typing, because I'm shaky as f**k and I just want this day to be over.

 

 

Sober for 95% of the time in the last ten months…wow. That is an incredible effort, got a lot of respect for the willpower required to do that 

  • Thanks 1
Posted
1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Never sure on whether to post this here or in the depression thread, as it ties in to both.

 

So I had posted about my sobriety, which I started December 1st of last year. I did have a couple one days slips, where I'd been upset about something, but this weekend I went back to old ways, where I was drinking all day for 3 straight days.

 

Today is a bit of a nightmare, because I get terrible 'hang-xiety' when I finally stop. Of course there's the temptation of just pouring myself a beer and that feeling will go away, but I am trying not to do that.

 

Trying to remember that in 10 months,  I've been sober for 95% of it and in that time I was feeling a lot better about myself. Losing 40 pounds has been great and the saved money was a good bonus.

 

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Was hard enough typing, because I'm shaky as f**k and I just want this day to be over.

 

 

You've done a great job, mate. Today will be over soon enough. Plenty of us here rooting for you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted
1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Never sure on whether to post this here or in the depression thread, as it ties in to both.

 

So I had posted about my sobriety, which I started December 1st of last year. I did have a couple one days slips, where I'd been upset about something, but this weekend I went back to old ways, where I was drinking all day for 3 straight days.

 

Today is a bit of a nightmare, because I get terrible 'hang-xiety' when I finally stop. Of course there's the temptation of just pouring myself a beer and that feeling will go away, but I am trying not to do that.

 

Trying to remember that in 10 months,  I've been sober for 95% of it and in that time I was feeling a lot better about myself. Losing 40 pounds has been great and the saved money was a good bonus.

 

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Was hard enough typing, because I'm shaky as f**k and I just want this day to be over.

 

 

Don’t let one weekend slip up get you down mate ! You’re only human and no one’s perfect, you’ve had abit of a blow out over the weekend and I’d hardly say that’s crime of the century. You’ve been sober for 95% of the past 10 months and lost a considerable amount of weight, so well done and that in itself is a credit to you.
I’ve been in the situation your feeling now after a heavy weekend and it’s one of the worst feelings, the racing thoughts, anxiety and all the other crap that comes with it, but it passes and after a day or two it never seems anywhere near as bad as it does at the time. Stay strong mate and remember the hangxiety will pass 👍

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Thanks for all the kind replies. 

 

Part of the problem is that everyone I know drinks and most excessively and it would be easy to just be lost in that again. 

 

I do have a subreddit that I post on every day, which has been very helpful.

 

Still feeling very anxious, but I know that will get better with each day. 

 

Just tea and water for me today.

 

Again, much thanks for the support. It was definitely appreciated.

  • Like 2
Posted
4 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Thanks for all the kind replies. 

 

Part of the problem is that everyone I know drinks and most excessively and it would be easy to just be lost in that again. 

 

I do have a subreddit that I post on every day, which has been very helpful.

 

Still feeling very anxious, but I know that will get better with each day. 

 

Just tea and water for me today.

 

Again, much thanks for the support. It was definitely appreciated.

It’s very admirable that you’re talking about it here and on Reddit. You got a lot of strength clearly. 
Obvs not aware of your social scene but any chance you can adopt hobbies that aren’t drink related? In the last 18 months I’ve been hanging out more with mates from the gym, they are good lads but also proper gym bro happy clappers, they annoyingly barely drink. That has led to me involuntarily reducing my weekend alcohol intake 

  • Thanks 1
Posted
29 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Thanks for all the kind replies. 

 

Part of the problem is that everyone I know drinks and most excessively and it would be easy to just be lost in that again. 

 

I do have a subreddit that I post on every day, which has been very helpful.

 

Still feeling very anxious, but I know that will get better with each day. 

 

Just tea and water for me today.

 

Again, much thanks for the support. It was definitely appreciated.

Were all here for you mate. My inbox is always open if you ever want to chat or any advice. Take care.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

It’s very admirable that you’re talking about it here and on Reddit. You got a lot of strength clearly. 
Obvs not aware of your social scene but any chance you can adopt hobbies that aren’t drink related? In the last 18 months I’ve been hanging out more with mates from the gym, they are good lads but also proper gym bro happy clappers, they annoyingly barely drink. That has led to me involuntarily reducing my weekend alcohol intake 

I've always had difficulty with being social and that might have been why I used alcohol(as many do). 

 

My social circle is basically my sister and my niece. 

 

I go over there most nights for dinner and I am able to manage not drinking, while they are having wine.

 

The 'friends' I sort of had were all from the pub. I only see them when I pop in for food occasionally.

 

I would say the hobbies I have are fine without the alcohol. I find I enjoy things more now when I am sober.

 

Geez, I am so braindead right now. Sorry, I'm having a hard time putting thoughts together.

 

Thanks for the reply.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...