Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Giving up Alcohol

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I must say, some of the denial on display in this thread is very impressive :beer:

OK, I'm still drunk every single time we play golf.

Apart from once, when I was on fire.

Does that explain it? lol

Or maybe I wasn't. Everyone knows you're better at everything after a few beers :ph34r:

• Haha 1

I hardly drink now.  A couple of glasses of wine with the roast on Sunday.  I used to drink a little most evenings when I was working, it was a psychological reward for me after a days efforts.  But I've never been a big drinker, partly because of a lad I met when I was around 20 years old.

I used to do agency driving jobs to earn a bit of cash to supplement my income and that's when I met this lad, I'd taken over from him for a few days as he'd been ill.  I met him on his return and he still looked pretty ill, jaundiced with a sallow complexion and losing his hair.  He was 23.  I asked him how he was and he said he had drink problems.  He said that he'd become used to drink, and now had to drink quite a lot for the alcohol to have any effect.  I asked him how much he regularly drank and he said 7 - 8 pints a night on a weekday but if he wanted to get slaughtered he'd drink 23 - 24 pints on a Friday or Saturday night.

I'd never seen anyone look so ill so young without any other contributing conditions and I swore I'd never end up like him.  The learning lesson for me was that he didn't see the damage the drink was doing to him.

British culture normalises drinking so much its wild, I'm often surprised hearing what people consider to be normal. It's no wonder many find it hard to cut down and that going cold turkey is the solution for so many - there is so much temptation.

I usually have a single beer or a glass of wine with dinner and once or twice a month I'm out having a few beers, 5/6 tends to be the point where I stop.

I would find it hard to go a month without drinking, which makes me uneasy if I'm honest, but it isn't the end of the world health wise and I've a pretty healthy diet in general.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

I hardly drink now.  A couple of glasses of wine with the roast on Sunday.  I used to drink a little most evenings when I was working, it was a psychological reward for me after a days efforts.  But I've never been a big drinker, partly because of a lad I met when I was around 20 years old.

I used to do agency driving jobs to earn a bit of cash to supplement my income and that's when I met this lad, I'd taken over from him for a few days as he'd been ill.  I met him on his return and he still looked pretty ill, jaundiced with a sallow complexion and losing his hair.  He was 23.  I asked him how he was and he said he had drink problems.  He said that he'd become used to drink, and now had to drink quite a lot for the alcohol to have any effect.  I asked him how much he regularly drank and he said 7 - 8 pints a night on a weekday but if he wanted to get slaughtered he'd drink 23 - 24 pints on a Friday or Saturday night.

I'd never seen anyone look so ill so young without any other contributing conditions and I swore I'd never end up like him.  The learning lesson for me was that he didn't see the damage the drink was doing to him.

How is is this even possible. 

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 21:32, Paninistickers said:

The thought of giving up alcohol is, for me, unthinkable. 

I crave it in the evenings. Every single day. Without fail.  If arriving late at a destination late at night, I've usually googled ahead to find out where I can grab a drink, so as to avoid panicking. Or ring ahead at a hotel to make sure the bar is still open.

Yet, once I have had 2 or 3 drinks, the craving is fulfilled. I'm out. Which I guess deletes that need to jack it in as it's done in moderation 

Alcohol dependency can be as damaging as being an alcoholic. 

Does what you wrote bother you at all? Genuinely interested because it reads a bit like you don't think it's an issue? 

Not being preachy by the way 

• Like 2

When I found out the missus was pregnant I gave it up trying to show some compassion. Lasted around 14 months, and being honest I didn’t feel too much different. People bang on about having a clear head and so on, I wasn’t at that point a heavy drinker anyway, but I didn’t notice too much of a change in myself.

I’ve never been one to drink in home; but now I tend to have the odd 1 if we go out to the pub. Pretty harmless. 

My advice to someone who’s thinking of giving it up is that it’s actually easier than you think. There are alcohol free alternatives to satisfy a craving if its needed, but have a reason to do it rather than just simply stop. Helps the mind.

5 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Alcohol dependency can be as damaging as being an alcoholic. 

Does what you wrote bother you at all? Genuinely interested because it reads a bit like you don't think it's an issue? 

Not being preachy by the way 

Thanks for pointing it out. I've questioned it myself. But I'm unconcerned.

I think it's more in the line of habit; some people need to check if there's a gym on site, or others that there's Aircon, others accessibility things. 

• 1 month later...

I've started drinking non alcoholic drinks a bit more. I still have pints (alcohol) but nice to mix it up.

I don't mind the Heineken 0 but can anybody else recommend any? I noticed the Peroni equivilent is in my local shop now so might give that a try.

Though, I don't (and never have) drank heavily. I only ever have a few pints a weekend. It's just nice to have a couple with no alcohol in sometimes.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I've started drinking non alcoholic drinks a bit more. I still have pints (alcohol) but nice to mix it up.

I don't mind the Heineken 0 but can anybody else recommend any? I noticed the Peroni equivilent is in my local shop now so might give that a try.

Though, I don't (and never have) drank heavily. I only ever have a few pints a weekend. It's just nice to have a couple with no alcohol in sometimes.

Peroni is the one I like the most. The real one doesn't have loads of flavour anyway so if I drink the 0% cold and with some crisps it just feels like having real beer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Lucky Saint is the best one I’ve tried. If you’re into Guinness their 0.0% is a decent one as well 

• Like 2

I thought the peroni alcohol free was absolutely disgusting tbh. Heineken not too bad, quite like the Free Damm. Got a load of asahi alcohol free cheap at the end of last year and been doing dry January with them and think they're pretty good.

10 hours ago, Fox92 said:

LN_407620_BP_11.jpg.208dee3ec19d372e90e0b107d8f76636.jpg

Best on the market for me. Special mention for the reasonably priced Aldi pilsner though.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 16:12, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

Lucky Saint is the best one I’ve tried. If you’re into Guinness their 0.0% is a decent one as well 

I’ve got some of the Hazy Lucky Saint in, orange can - decent. 

• Like 1

I've been quite a heavy drinker my whole life. My friends are all drinkers & any social event always involved booze. I've had stages where alcohol has been a big part & I've craved the next time I can get drunk. After having my daughter I stopped going out & drinking at home on weekends.  

This always made me feel tired & irritable the next day. I never wanted to do anything with my family. In Jan 2020 I suggested to my them partner I might stop drinking for a month. She scoffed & said you'll never do it. Four years later & I still have not touched a drop. My career has blossomed & life improved but sadly I'm going through a horrific break up & custody battle. I have thought about having a drink to numb what I'm feeling but I know it's not a good idea.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've given up alcohol, indefinitely. 

Not putting any timescale on it, just doing it for my own good at the minute, but don't intend to go completely tea total.

Just bought 4 bottles of Stella 0% to have while the match is on tonight. 

£3 from Tesco and they actually taste as good as the real thing.

• Like 4