Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Giving up Alcohol

I gave up about 40 years ago, for similar reasons.

I've never regretted it but I will confess that I replaced one social crutch for another by beginning a lifelong association with weed; the difference is that alcohol brought out the worst in me whereas weed brings out the best in me.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 4

I cut down massively due to mental health too. I still like a beer and occasionally I'll still have a couple more than I should, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

It's easy to think the answer to all of your problems are at the bottom of a bottle.

All about moderation.

One of my mates will have a half pint, then ask for a pint glass and a non-alcoholic beer, like a Beck's Blue, then mix them together.

Feels like you're having a beer, but it's like a shandy really.

It isn't cutting out completely, but it'll be a way to help cut down.

Good luck mate, I know it can be hard.

• Like 2

A lot of this is to do with moderation and self-will. Throughout my adult life I have always enjoyed a pint and although I used to drink quite heavily on occasions in my younger days I can now go easily for weeks on end without having the urge to one. I can never envisaged not having a drink in the future. Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones.

I gave up 11 months ago as I was getting fed up with using it to cope and then feeling even crapper physically and mentally afterwards.  I do miss it on occasion especially when out but I don’t get hung up about it or apologise for it.  I’m quite happy to say I’m not drinking at the moment and have a soft drink or a zero alcohol beer - some of my friends who I would meet for a boozy lunch or dinner have been noticeably down on invitations to do the same without booze but hey that’s probably telling me more about our friendship than anything else.

Great positives that I’ve taken are that my close relationships are way better as no danger of drinking too much and being an idiot, quality of sleep is simply outstanding!, left me more time to enjoy things rather than use them as a vehicle for a ‘session’ and I’m seriously fitter and healthier.

I don’t see myself drinking regularly again.

Good luck to you - best wishes.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I've decided that I want to give up drinking or at very least, cut down significantly. As someone that has had issues with mental health, I often used it is a coping mechanism but it's counterproductive as it makes me feel absolutely horrendous the next day. I also have the issue that once I start I find it really difficult to stop and I don't just get drunk, I get absolutely annihilated. 

I'm a little bit anxious about how I'm going to cope being in situations where everyone else is drinking and I'm completely sober and I can't help but think that I will be missing out. Has anyone here given up drinking and how do they feel about it? Any advice? 

Good luck. I was never a massive boozer but was having 2 or 3 pints every night when i was working long hours, then a proper booze up every weekend. No bad event happened to me, but i realised i had to start cutting down when i moved to a job with mopre normal hours. I only drink on Fridays and Saturdays now, and 3 out of 4 weeks keep it to under 14 units a week.

First few weeks were hard and the peer pressure was immense, i remember one night 4 friends literally circled me in a pub and gave me a 40 minute inquisition about why im not boozing. But as time goes on it became completely normal, would not even think of drinking weeknights now. I went to the game yesterday with 4 others, each of them had 8 heinekens each, i was dry, didnt bother me at all, had a great time.

Just stay disciplined and stick to your guns.

• Like 2

I spoke about my injured knee in another thread a while ago, and since then, until Saturday, I think I was using alcohol it as a coping mechanism.

I'd never get wasted, but I'd go multiple consecutive days with a drink, then wake up the next day in my attempt to walk and exercise whilst my knee tried to heal. Thankfully a couple of weeks ago it healed and I'm back to running, but the drink continued as a habit.

Then on Saturday I misjudged what I was drinking, got plastered and spent Sunday feeling absolutely horrific. As horrible as it was it jolted me. Gave me a reset. I've not drunk since Saturday night and that sounds not long at all, but for the last few months I'd never have gone three days without a drink.

I still want to drink and have a healthy relationship with alcohol, I still want a couple of pints before games, when with friends etc, but I don't want to go back to it just yet. It shouldn't get me through stuff, it should be an optional supplement to a nice time. And I definitely need to stop drinking alone.

Really nice to read people's experiences though. When I'd sit there and think about my intake and worry it was just a "me thing" but it really isn't.

• Like 2

In my younger days I used to drink regularly, occasionally to excess.  I never considered that there would be any consequences to my drinking habits.  Then in one of my early jobs I was asked to take over a contract for a few days while the chap who was running it was off sick.  He came back a few days later and we worked together until he was able to get back up to speed.  We chatted and he told me that he had been off because of a drink problem.  He did look ill - pasty face, overweight, hair thinning rapidly.  I guessed that he was in his mid thirties but it turned out he was 23.  He explained that he had liver and other issues.  We discussed how much we each drank - I'd have 3 or 4 pints on an evening usually while playing darts.  He said he wished he could get back to that - he had gradually increased his alcohol intake as his body became accustomed to it and to even get a little tipsy he'd drink 7 or 8 pints on a weekday, but if he was 'really having a drink' he'd go through 23 or 24 pints on a Friday or Saturday.

So for the first time in my life I'd come face to face with the consequences of drinking to excess.  It stayed with me and afterwards I'd still drink, but less frequently and rarely to excess.

• Like 1

never a better time to do it. If you want to go down the non-alcoholic beer / spirt route that is. Its currently the biggest raising Food & Beverage market its absolutely booming currently. 

not sure what you like to drink but check out this website it is great www.lightdrinks.co.uk 

I no longer drink at home i will only drink 0.5's as it gives you that beer like taste and feel. 

Can recommend 

Beavertown Brewery Lazer Crush

Lervig No Worries Mango

Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropica 

Adnams Ghost Ship

Echo what others have said about non-alcoholic beers nowadays. There’s some really, really tasty ones about. It’s a lot different to years ago when it was becks blue and bavaria 0% and that was your lot. 

I really enjoy the taste and feel of drinking a beer, so switching out to non-alcoholic ones at home really made a difference for me - and then when I go out it’s more with the intention of just tasting nice, sometimes new, alcoholic beers, rather than just going out to sink 12 pints as fast as I can - almost like a treat. I do still keep the odd few cans/bottles of % lagers in the house, but not as many as I used to. 

One thing that did help was making sure I am enjoying what I'm doing and not for the sake of it.

So I will only drink alcohol I enjoy and eat food I will enjoy.  But before for eg, I would go to a wedding and drink stupid amounts of crap lager and eat loads of food that was below par.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I've decided that I want to give up drinking or at very least, cut down significantly. As someone that has had issues with mental health, I often used it is a coping mechanism but it's counterproductive as it makes me feel absolutely horrendous the next day. I also have the issue that once I start I find it really difficult to stop and I don't just get drunk, I get absolutely annihilated. 

I'm a little bit anxious about how I'm going to cope being in situations where everyone else is drinking and I'm completely sober and I can't help but think that I will be missing out. Has anyone here given up drinking and how do they feel about it? Any advice? 

I barely drank over the last year since the first lockdown. And I felt superb, and now when I do drink I realise how much it does affect you and long to feel superb again.  I did want to cut out any drinking session and only drink a little amount just to enjoy the taste (I love trying beers and red wines for their flavours rather than the effect of alcohol). 

On your latter point, I’ve found it really hard dealing with social occasions so I’ve failed to cut down to the extent I wanted but I drink less on those occasions and so it’s still a win. On social occasions I just found myself getting moody and fed up surrounded by people who are drinking whilst staying sober. It gets really ****ing tedious so now I drink to not have to suffer drunk people but I don’t have problem controlling my level, idk how to advise someone that does

The solution for me is to spend less time with friends with whom drinking is central to our interactions and more time with friends where we actually do other stuff together. Just got to find some lol

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 1

This discussion reminds me of the brilliant Adrian Chiles documentaries 'Drinkers like me' and 'Britain's drink problem'.

Here they are if you've not seen them:

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 3

On 06/07/2021 at 19:14, BenTheFox said:

Well done for being able to post this.

Please stick with it as you will find a way of moving forward.

I can tell you that it is the most liberating thing that you could have done. I have been right at the bottom, alcohol running my life. I was able to stop drinking completely and in time began to enjoy things in a way that I thought had gone forever.

You might find that you don't want to be around drunk people anymore, or just find yourself tolerating them less. Alcohol traps you within it's very tight grip and you lose yourself. Don't expect the easiest of rides but you can expect to find new doors opening and to be enjoying things more than before.

Try to trust yourself a bit and be open minded with the new you.

And of course, your health will improve immediately,  you will have more money and your feelings of self worth and self esteem will improve.

Definitely worth doing, be prepared to find it really hard to be around pissed people though. In my experience that has been the hardest part, pissed people are ****ing annoying. 

Admittedly it was probably a bit easier as I was a daily weed smoker, though I have stopped that now (after a good 10-15 years) for other reasons.

It’s hard work in England because so much of English culture revolves around drinking, but it’s doable. Plus you get to peruse all the fancy pops in the pubs.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2021 at 19:14, BenTheFox said:

Good luck fella.

I’ve drastically cut down - don’t miss it at all tbh. The problem with being sober is you notice how seriously dull drunk people are. From the daft cackling to the faux bravado, they’re invariably awful.

Focus on the positives: the weight you don’t put on, the money you save, the exercise you are able to do, etc. Plus, you don’t need to stay at dull parties as nobody notices a sober person slipping out to enjoy a cracking mug of cocoa while listening to The Archers in bed. See? I’m selling it to you, eh? :D

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
39 minutes ago, FoxyPV said:

I need this thread.

I'm really struggling and booze is too easy.

Impacting all aspects of my life

Have you thought about going to a local AA meeting?

If you're prepared to give it a go, it could change your life....

• Like 1