Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
Sly

The Running Thread (formerly How fast can you run a 5k?)

Recommended Posts

Posted
52 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Great time. I am not a fan of park runs but my old man reckons Abbey Park is the best one in Leicester. I think he did his PB there.

Tbh I would rate as one of the best in the country. It’s as good as 1 lap. Theres only one bottle neck on the course. Big wide paths. It’s loop, no turn and back 

Posted

Did my first triathlon last weekend. Some personal stuff buggered my preparation and meant I cocked up fluids and food on the day.

 

Swim - good

Cycle - good

Run - agony. Run, walk, stretch all the way. 

 

Still, I finished!

  • Like 3
Posted
7 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Just did sub 24 at Abbey Park Parkrun. That’s been a really long hard run mentally and physically to get back towards these times. As ever with your PBs, this was a surprise but I felt so strong in the mid part 

Nice one! I struggle with Abbey Park as, like Watermead, it’s too flat. 

Posted
On 23/09/2026 at 19:32, CosbehFox said:

Confidence built now for Manchester Half 

 

A good 19k on Monday. The training is paying off now. Long distance is getting easier 

 

I’m a good year away from my PB I think but I’ve really enjoyed the comeback. 6 minute k’s coming down to 5:33 k’s 

 

 

Manchester Half is an absolute dream of a course and I’ve never ever been able to match what I achieved that day. Annoyed as I stopped for a chat with family and friends at mile 8 but it was the first and on my time I ran a sub 2. I went into it on the tail end of a marathon training block and had a blasts You’ll love it. 

  • Like 1
Posted
On 25/09/2026 at 12:13, ramboacdc said:

beat my current PB on 5k last night and clocked in at 36 minutes. I want to break that 30 barrier. I am happy I have gone from 44 to 36 in 8 weeks though. 

Superb progress 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 keep going 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted
4 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Nice one! I struggle with Abbey Park as, like Watermead, it’s too flat. 

I love my challenges too. The monster hill in Bergen this year was an experience and my all time fav in the UK is Gedling. 
 

Just think Abbey Park is the least stressful and most ideal particularly for those starting out. 
 

I did Chadderton before Stockport away the other week. 4 lapper but such a lovely park and vibe. Less than a hundred each week with a nasty hill four times but really what parkrun is all about 

Posted
17 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Did my first triathlon last weekend. Some personal stuff buggered my preparation and meant I cocked up fluids and food on the day.

 

Swim - good

Cycle - good

Run - agony. Run, walk, stretch all the way. 

 

Still, I finished!

Nice one, which one did you do? I have only done sprint tri's but want ro do a half distance 70.3 next year. 

Posted
9 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I love my challenges too. The monster hill in Bergen this year was an experience and my all time fav in the UK is Gedling. 
 

Just think Abbey Park is the least stressful and most ideal particularly for those starting out. 
 

I did Chadderton before Stockport away the other week. 4 lapper but such a lovely park and vibe. Less than a hundred each week with a nasty hill four times but really what parkrun is all about 

So far Bestwood is my favourite 

Posted

Prep mainly done now for Leicester Half.

 

Ran 15KM at Half Marathon Race Pace this morning (4:30 per KM)

 

Went through 10K in 44:44 

 

Aiming for a sub 1:40 Half, though would love a sub 1:35

 

Was in my slow shoes today too (Vomero plus) so hopefully with the Vaporflys on ill get there...

  • Like 4
Posted

Ran the Golden Gates Gallop 5 miler this morning at Elvaston Castle. Nowhere near the speed of you guys but so happy to be back and being able to hold 9:30 minute miles across 5 miles. Here’s to pushing back towards to the sub 9’s. Finally feeling good since fracturing my wrist 12 months ago and the being hit with ‘womens health’ issues. Sucks being old. 

  • Like 3
Posted

Pulled off 10k pb for 2026 this morning as well. The double dipper of Blackbird Road to Glenfield and loop back around using Anstey Lane. Probably taught me what’s a little too quick for next week 

Posted

Halfway through an AI training plan on WhatsApps meta thingy 😂 following it to aim for sub 80 mins in next months HM in the Great Eastern. Think sub 80 is ambitious and will require a 7 minute PB improvement on the same run last year. Worst case hopefully I'll be nearer 80 than 85 mins. 

 

Running 3:47KMs for 21k seems sickening to me atm 😂

  • Like 2
Posted

Ran 15km last night after a torturous hangover all of Saturday and some of Sunday. Feel worse than after running that bastard ultra 😂

 

Not sure if i'm in the nick I wanted to be in for Leicester, not hit some of the speed sessions I planned but did do a 12km block at 4:45 race pace in the middle of a half 2 weeks ago so it might come together on the day, we will see.

  • Like 1
Posted
On 26/09/2026 at 17:44, waddadamadda said:

Manchester Half is an absolute dream of a course and I’ve never ever been able to match what I achieved that day. Annoyed as I stopped for a chat with family and friends at mile 8 but it was the first and on my time I ran a sub 2. I went into it on the tail end of a marathon training block and had a blasts You’ll love it. 

Agreed. I clocked 1:48 there which gave me overconfidence for a full marathon 🤣

Posted

I feel like im going to plunder over the line for the Leicester 10km in about 2 days the way i feel!!

 

Cant belive i did sub 1.50 Half Marathon 20 years ago!!!

 

Take it from a fat 55 year old- you young uns hold onto what you've got, it soon goes!!:D

  • Like 3
Posted

10 miler tonight after playing 11 a side for the first time in ages at the weekend and my hamstring feels like it’s on the brink. I’ve quickly remembered why I knocked football on the head while training.

Posted
36 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Can we have autumn now?

Every time my easy run turns into a sun baked sweat fest I get one step closer to building Mr. Burns’ sun blocker device 

  • Haha 2
Posted
39 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Every time my easy run turns into a sun baked sweat fest I get one step closer to building Mr. Burns’ sun blocker device 

My heart rate has been +20 all summer and I’m a bit fed up of it at this point.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...