Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Puel did with Hamza a few seasons back when we were holding on to a one goal lead against Tottnum. And it worked. Proud of the lad that night. 

Putting a defensive player on, whatever experience instead of an attacker or vice versa if we're losing is standard. But bringing an inexperienced player on purely for development purposes is more likely to be when we're comfortably wining a game is the obvious way although not to everyone's liking , sadly we've not had many of those recently

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He had 3 games out the last 4 that we had spells of games where we were 2+ goals to the good and the absolute perfect time to blood them and he'd opted not to even name any on the bench after saying he would look to do so if he could. Annoying.

I'm not disagreeing I didn't understand it then, I'm always keen to see a Development plyer on the bench even if there's no chance of them playing because you never know when an opportunity will crop up. 

I guess it's another problem with having a bloated 1st team squad and keeping them happy. 

PL 2 to be U21, which I believe they've now gone back to.

I'd like to see proper reserve team football with a mix of 1st team and Academy

Loans at all levels of the league even the National if it's the right option.

Academy players on the bench.

The last three are especially needed for Over 21 players and those that are too good for the U21s but not quite ready for the 1st team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He had 3 games out the last 4 that we had spells of games where we were 2+ goals to the good and the absolute perfect time to blood them and he'd opted not to even name any on the bench after saying he would look to do so if he could. Annoying.

Makes you think the importance of finishing 8th was made clear from financial point of view so he didn’t risk it with the untried. 

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

This this and this. Commit to it early and explain the pros and potential cons and people can't be shocked.

Don't keep them back and then decide you're too concerned about their ability to step up and have them waste another season playing development footie when they could be playing mens footie.

Yes, then wait for the Foxestalk masses coming out and saying he's getting his excuses in early lol.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Puel did with Hamza a few seasons back when we were holding on to a one goal lead against Tottnum. And it worked. Proud of the lad that night. 

say what you want about Puel, he certainly isn’t afraid to play youth if they are good enough. 

We probably have him to thank for how developed Fofana is now

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes, then wait for the Foxestalk masses coming out and saying he's getting his excuses in early lol.

Vague wishy washy excuses and words with no meaning i'm not down for.

Clearly explaining a plan, the potential struggles and intended benefits, i'm all for.

I don't think Brendan thinks past the next week though.

He's already said that we'll struggle the challenge as we have done due to not being able to bring in new players. Stuff like that has no logic behind and comes across as trying to set targets low, without actually setting targets low. It's sneaky greasy middle manager stuff that we all see at work haha.

• Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

Vague wishy washy excuses and words with no meaning i'm not down for.

Clearly explaining a plan, the potential struggles and intended benefits, i'm all for.

I don't think Brendan thinks past the next week though.

He's already said that we'll struggle the challenge as we have done due to not being able to bring in new players. Stuff like that has no logic behind and comes across as trying to set targets low, without actually setting targets low. It's sneaky greasy middle manager stuff that we all see at work haha.

Do you have quote of that?

I don't recall him saying that?

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Do you have quote of that?

I don't recall him saying that?

“It’s unfortunate. We have to do some work and if we can do that, then hopefully we can affect the squad because if we are going to compete anywhere near where we have been, then we need to be able to do that. If not, then it’s a different expectation.”

Taken from the "Rodgers opens up..." thread

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

“It’s unfortunate. We have to do some work and if we can do that, then hopefully we can affect the squad because if we are going to compete anywhere near where we have been, then we need to be able to do that. If not, then it’s a different expectation.”

Taken from the "Rodgers opens up..." thread

Fair enough.

Does seem like a message to the board.

Maybe the first sign of cracks in the relationship.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

say what you want about Puel, he certainly isn’t afraid to play youth if they are good enough. 

We probably have him to thank for how developed Fofana is now

Sorry disagree with that. Barely gave anyone a debut. Brought Barnes back off loan and barely play him for six months. 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Sorry disagree with that. Barely gave anyone a debut. Brought Barnes back off loan and barely play him for six months. 

who was good enough that didn’t get a chance? 

he was great at developing chillwell , mads and grey … there’s not a youth team player that he didn’t play that ended up making it. 

some people think a certain manager would suddenly make a star out of someone in the under 23s but if they aren’t ready… they aren’t ready (or good enough) 

13 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

who was good enough that didn’t get a chance? 

he was great at developing chillwell , mads and grey … there’s not a youth team player that he didn’t play that ended up making it. 

some people think a certain manager would suddenly make a star out of someone in the under 23s but if they aren’t ready… they aren’t ready (or good enough) 

Barnes was tearing up the Championship with Barnsley. He recalled him back and then didn’t play him until April. Next summer he loaned him out again.

I thought Chilwell was very poor under Puel and really pushed once Rodgers arrived into an international player 

11 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Looks like the 18s played Bruges today. Only recognise half the team from the picture Wilson-brown has tweeted. 

Only recognise Popov, Wilson-Brown and Grist 

D674C2E5-63FB-41E1-B714-6C6A5F412EC9.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Doesn’t Wanya have another brother too with the name Loureiro as well?

I think that's what Ric meant... Wanya Marcal brother Chey Loreiro... not Wanya Marcal brother and Chey Loreiro :P