Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

English tifo/active fan group culture

Seem to be two distinct factions opening up here. Groups with a proud DIY ethic like Leicester, Palace, Middlesbrough etc, and groups who want the pretty displays but can't actually be arsed to show any pride in it and think outsourcing everything to third parties will bring them a better atmosphere and fan culture like Forest, Newcastle, Chelsea etc.

Only in England would you get fans trying to buy their way to a vibrant tifo culture. It's pathetic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Seem to be two distinct factions opening up here. Groups with a proud DIY ethic like Leicester, Palace, Middlesbrough etc, and groups who want the pretty displays but can't actually be arsed to show any pride in it and think outsourcing everything to third parties will bring them a better atmosphere and fan culture like Forest, Newcastle, Chelsea etc.

Only in England would you get fans trying to buy their way to a vibrant tifo culture. It's pathetic.

The yardstick that those groups and their fanbases measure themselves with is "how much money can we raise and spend on a display" like that matters.

£7000 for example for this mess. 

280161968_1458802157885361_7683282774693876842_n.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Disagree with you to be honest. Forest and Newcastle have had brilliant atmospheres in recent months. Newcastle away in April was properly loud. I think they've cracked it in terms of their displays.

I don't really see how hundreds of fans donating for a tifo to be made by a company is different from hundreds of fans donating for a tifo to be made by a handful of other fans.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Disagree with you to be honest. Forest and Newcastle have had brilliant atmospheres in recent months. Newcastle away in April was properly loud. I think they've cracked it in terms of their displays.

I don't really see how hundreds of fans donating for a tifo to be made by a company is different from hundreds of fans donating for a tifo to be made by a handful of other fans.

Because, as I say, it's a matter of pride. How can you be proud of something done for your club that isn't produced with your own hands? Anyone can make something look good if they pay a decent graphic designer well and throw enough money at getting it printed by people who don't even necessarily support the same club as you, rather than grabbing a paint brush and getting involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Because, as I say, it's a matter of pride. How can you be proud of something done for your club that isn't produced with your own hands? Anyone can make something look good if they pay a decent graphic designer well and throw enough money at getting it printed by people who don't even necessarily support the same club as you, rather than grabbing a paint brush and getting involved.

I can understand where you're coming from because you're a member of the Union FS that actually make these tifos (I think you are at least).

But for the other 99.9% of fans I can't imagine many caring. So long as it looks good, portrays the right message and is of decent value.

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I can understand where you're coming from because you're a member of the Union FS that actually make these tifos (I think you are at least).

But for the other 99.9% of fans I can't imagine many caring. So long as it looks good, portrays the right message and is of decent value.

I thought this initially too but you see a lot of our fans calling out Notts for example and their printed tifos. 

Fair enough if that's your opinion that it's all the same, but the vast majority of the footballing world would disagree with you. 

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I thought this initially too but you see a lot of our fans calling out Notts for example and their printed tifos. 

Fair enough if that's your opinion that it's all the same, but the vast majority of the footballing world would disagree with you. 

I think Forest could do anything and there'd be a portion of fans taking the piss. Don't think that says too much.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I don't think it matters or should ruffle anyones feathers too much. If someone is making an effort to ''improve the atmosphere'' which is the most quoted phrase on this forum, they should be left to it - whichever way the funding comes from. It works both ways. Clear Forests atmosphere is streets ahead of ours so whetever they are doing is working. 

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

I don't think it matters or should ruffle anyones feathers too much. If someone is making an effort to ''improve the atmosphere'' which is the most quoted phrase on this forum, they should be left to it - whichever way the funding comes from. It works both ways. Clear Forests atmosphere is streets ahead of ours so whetever they are doing is working. 

It does work both ways - so when there is a valid reason to criticise the club for a choice which directly affects the fans, you've lost your standing as an independent voice. Your view/opinion is subject to an influence. Forest atmosphere has more to do with a club who've been successful for the first time in a generation. Not really to different to Newcastle either. 

English fans won't get it. I accept that. But its good to have in effect a lobby group. A voice. That lack of unity creates the apathy in which owners of football clubs take advantage. I take Oldham who have finally rid their club of their owner and have had a positive start to what can be a really difficult division to get out of. That's a club what was in really shitty situation.

I take that I am going slightly away from your point - but I think independence is important on these matters 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Stockport group sprung up in the spring of this year and done a couple already. They actually messaged UFS on a couple of things, seems as though their club shafted them just before the first one. 

281349530_1465412763890967_9218763011680815424_n.jpg

296751423_481685763960564_6833050732764982839_n.jpg

For having just come out of non-league that's pretty damn good.

Broadly you have fan groups as these clubs doing stuff.

I have broken it down into groups who make it themselves and those who choose to pay others to do the work for them.

DIY -

Leicester

Ipswich

Middlesborough

Huddersfield

Lincoln

Stockport

Crystal Palace

Printed-

Notts Forest

Sunderland

Newcastle

Chelsea

Watford

Man City

Oldham

Bradford

Norwich

Aston Villa

Bristol City

Arsenal

There were pretty good groups that were trailblazers in this country at Oxford, Accrington and Swindon who are no longer active.

Arsenal have a group,some may have seen them on Saturday. They are in their early days of tifo and the second they did was far better than the first imo. Was though a send your order off to Poland jobby.

Edited by SemperEadem

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Broadly you have fan groups as these clubs doing stuff.

I have broken it down into groups who make it themselves and those who choose to pay others to do the work for them.

DIY -

Leicester

Ipswich

Middlesborough

Huddersfield

Lincoln

Stockport

Crystal Palace

Printed-

Notts Forest

Sunderland

Newcastle

Chelsea

Watford

Man City

Oldham

Bradford

Norwich

Aston Villa

Bristol City

There were pretty good groups that were trailblazers in this country at Oxford, Accrington and Swindon who are no longer active.

York too. And, while not organised as a group officially, it'd be fair to say FC United of Manchester fans really were among the leaders of the scene in terms of flags, tifos and general 'Against Modern Football' attitude for quite a few years.

• Like 1