Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lako42

Talk to me about......Kitchens

• 8 months later...

Need some help please. Having an extension built currently and the kitchen is requiring a re-fit. Ideally we want solid wood units rather than MDF and my wife has identified some bespoke colours she'd like. 

The new kitchen is pretty big (circa 45m2) and we want it to a decent spec. We're talking to a small local kitchen manufacturer who ticks all the boxes but we've yet to get a price and we're expecting big money. My wife visited Wren at the weekend purely to get an idea of price for a mass market manufacturer (she hates these types of shops) but much to my surprise they've sprinkled some magic fairy dust on her and she's come back ranting and raving about the kitchen she's designed. Problem for me is that the units are MDF which I don't want, and I'm very sceptical about Wren. 

I keep hearing amazing things about DIY Kitchens. I tried to price up an equivalent kitchen from there yesterday but the unit dimensions are slightly different, the appliances aren't particularly high end, and I really struggled identifying all of the small items/details. On the flip side the kitchen I priced up was solid wood and we can get it in the exact colour that my wife wants, and as an added bonus is about £3k cheaper than the quote from Wren. 

I'd love to explore DIY Kitchens further but with them not having a design service the process is quite challenging and having played around with their online design tool I don't trust myself to get it right. I've looked online for 3rd party designers that work with DIY Kitchens but aside from one they seem to be non-existent which is odd as I imagine there's a market for this type of service. 

Has anyone got any suggestions on other good suppliers with a design service, or could recommend a designer that puts together plans for a range of specific suppliers? 

Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, ian__marshall said:

Need some help please. Having an extension built currently and the kitchen is requiring a re-fit. Ideally we want solid wood units rather than MDF and my wife has identified some bespoke colours she'd like. 

The new kitchen is pretty big (circa 45m2) and we want it to a decent spec. We're talking to a small local kitchen manufacturer who ticks all the boxes but we've yet to get a price and we're expecting big money. My wife visited Wren at the weekend purely to get an idea of price for a mass market manufacturer (she hates these types of shops) but much to my surprise they've sprinkled some magic fairy dust on her and she's come back ranting and raving about the kitchen she's designed. Problem for me is that the units are MDF which I don't want, and I'm very sceptical about Wren. 

I keep hearing amazing things about DIY Kitchens. I tried to price up an equivalent kitchen from there yesterday but the unit dimensions are slightly different, the appliances aren't particularly high end, and I really struggled identifying all of the small items/details. On the flip side the kitchen I priced up was solid wood and we can get it in the exact colour that my wife wants, and as an added bonus is about £3k cheaper than the quote from Wren. 

I'd love to explore DIY Kitchens further but with them not having a design service the process is quite challenging and having played around with their online design tool I don't trust myself to get it right. I've looked online for 3rd party designers that work with DIY Kitchens but aside from one they seem to be non-existent which is odd as I imagine there's a market for this type of service. 

Has anyone got any suggestions on other good suppliers with a design service, or could recommend a designer that puts together plans for a range of specific suppliers? 

Many thanks. 

Go up to the showroom in Pontefract. The staff are really helpful. 

I wouldn’t advise anyone to buy a Wren kitchen. They look good, but in reality, they are very poor quality, with cheap components.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ian__marshall said:

Many thanks. 

Can’t you get Howdens round for a quote? They’ll do a mock up on their software and go from there? It’s a bit cheeky I know. And they won’t give you the actual plans with dimensions until you’ve purchased a kitchen from there

Avoid Wren at all costs 

• Like 1

I got a mock up and quote from Howdens and then shopped around. Howdens then price matched DIY kitchens (I’m not sure if they still do), which saved a couple of grand. 

Then got a decent chippy to install it. 

(And don’t forget your two dishwashers when you do your plans - life changer)! :thumbup:

We've got a Wren kitchen, had great service from them and no issues at all with the kitchen since install. It's not one of their basic range though, which do feel like they'd fall apart after 12 months. And ours has fairly light usage with it just being the two of us. 

Edited by FoyleFox

On 28/08/2023 at 07:54, ian__marshall said:

Many thanks. 

All the best - 45m2....2023 prices....I'd have a cold beer to hand and a desk fan when the quote comes through.

Great fun getting a new kitchen, we got two of those fold away Neff ovens on top of each other - recommend that aswell as lot of sockets, USBs etc - something that is often overlooked.

On 28/08/2023 at 07:54, ian__marshall said:

Many thanks. 

We have had 3 kitchens from DIY Kitchens and never had any issues they seem very solid and pretty cheap to buy, We currently have two more kitchens from them on order arriving next month.

1 hour ago, Will1981 said:

We have had 3 kitchens from DIY Kitchens and never had any issues they seem very solid and pretty cheap to buy, We currently have two more kitchens from them on order arriving next month.

Jeeez...what do you do, change the kitchen each month?

On 28/08/2023 at 13:44, Milo said:

(And don’t forget your two dishwashers when you do your plans - life changer)! :thumbup:

Old double dishwasher Dave  @Milo over here.

What cost of living crisis? lol

Edit: I'm only jealous. Our dishwasher packed up about a year ago, I will buy a new one, but we're doing other things around the house first (bathroom currently)

The kids keep bitching about a new dishwasher, my reply "You never do the washing up, even if I bought a new dishwasher tomorrow, it'd just be something you'd moan about loading and unloading"

Lazy shits.

Edited by tom27111