Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lako42

Talk to me about......Kitchens

So I think the time is fast approaching where we will need to have a new kitchen installed. 

The current one has served us well but it is a heap one put in by the previous buy-to-let landlord and the laminate on the cupboard doors is coming off on a couple and generally it's a bit shit. 

I would like your feedback (good and bad) on companies you have used and any tips you have to do with the process. 

Cheers FT

We have just had one finished in the past month and i love it. 

I didnt want to use a national company as its always nice to support someone local. 

We used TFS in Hinckley, they are incredible from start to finish! 

We got 4 quotes from companies based in and around Hinckley and these weren't cheapest, but the work just seems to be another level to the others. I am quite a busy person and away with work a bit and my wife is on Mat leave currently with our 11-month-old, so i wanted someone that would project manage the lot and sort everything out. These assured me that wasn't a problem. 

We had a wall knocked down to make it a kitchen diner rather than two separate rooms. a complete rip out of the old kitchen and a new one fitted with all new appliances, floor levelled and new LVT floor put down. 

At no point did they try and rip us off and there were no hidden costs at the end. 

they completed the whole job in 3 weeks and cleaned up every day before they left. 

Kitchen wise we couldn't decide on colour from places like Wren, Wickes etc and we didnt really just want an off the shelf. TFS said you can have whatever colour you like as everything is custom made and painted so any colour, any finish and any handles. 

Ours is now quite a dark grey (almost black) with copper handles and i just passed a comment saying it would be good if you could get a copper sink.... next thing i know he had sourced it and we have gone with it. 

Not sure where you are based but i believe they travel all over the place and they do have a show room in Hinckley. 

Obviously, it wasn't cheap but was certainly worth it! 

• Thanks 1

We have just recently finished ours. Kitchen units from Wren and utility units from Howdens. Both were excellent in the planning and design process. And absolutely no issues with customer service after. We were having 2 1/2 walls out and other work done, so had a builder etc to install and project managed everything ourselves. We are planners and project managers, so happy to do it, but if you go through Howdens you need an independent builder to order and install.

We did have a very clear idea of what units we wanted and pretty much had it already designed before we sat down with anyone, though. Having had a new kitchen at our old house, which was from a small independent company who were meticulous in the planning, we just carried that over again. We knew what worked in terms of the types of functions we wanted. Basically, to replicate that kitchen in a new house. We considered a couple of local firms, Owen Williams and another in Coalville, but the cost was prohibitive, and as we were confident in what we wanted we just wanted to source the units etc.

If you are starting completely from scratch, there are a lot of choices and things to consider. Do you know what style you're looking for? Some are more suitable for a family kitchen than others - ours is a very dark grey gloss truly handless one. Not sure if you'd want the same if you've loads of kids. And a lesson from our old house - do not ever buy polished porcelain floor tiles or pure black granite worktops. World of upkeep!

We have a lot of drawers instead of cupboards, which are far more accessible, but you probably can't cram as much in. Same with wall units versus top boxes. I'd highly recommend a larder unit. Do you want concealed appliances? We have everything concealed - cutlery drawers, fan, bin etc.

Lighting is a very important element to consider, as is the work triangle. I could go on, but won't.

As I recall you're also NW Leics (walking distance to The Rock), if you want a look at ours, give us a shout.

I was told by a builder yesterday that Howden's are about to put their prices up by 10% in the new year. 

Ours is a Howden's kitchen fitted about 2 months ago. We have quartz worktops (supplied by a local company in a quarry) that whilst look the business are very cold. The kitchen echo's! Very pleased with the results (Dove Grey, btw with dark blue island units, crome cup handles as Mrs Spud is a bit of a stickler for finger prints and smudges (etc). 

Very much depends on budget and what you are looking for.

Bespoke inlay real wood kitchens, modern handleless, cheap and cheerful. 

Prices have skyrocketed the last few years, and appliances are a nightmare to get hold of at times. So plan well ahead.

One of my clients is one of the counties leading independents, so happy to advise and ask them any questions I can’t answer. Part of the work I do is photographing their kitchens, so I see plenty!

41 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Do it yourself. But if you need to drill through ceramic, ask me what drill bit to buy.

Whatever you do, don't ask @Strokes I cant stress that enough.

FFS, I said about 2 years ago that I'd let it go. 

You wouldn’t have needed a ceramic drill bit, if instead of sticking faux brick looking tiles to the wall, you had just pulled the plaster off and exposed the actual brickwork lol

Are you sure you were holding the drill the right way around? :whistle:

• Haha 1

Just now, Strokes said:

You wouldn’t have needed a ceramic drill bit, if instead of sticking faux brick looking tiles to the wall, you had just pulled the plaster off and exposed the actual brickwork lol

Are you sure you were holding the drill the right way around? :whistle:

I knew I should've let it lie...

I'm not sure I like your tone lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Raj said:

What's the jist here then between @Strokes and @tom27111???

I put some beautiful brick tiles on one wall of my kitchen, then needed to drill through them to put up some amazing industrial style, scaffold type shelves.

I didn't know what drill bit would get through the tiles, @Strokesis the go to guy, as @Izzysays, "Strokes knows".

This time he didn't know lol

It's a long running joke between us. 

There's no beef! 

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

Just finishing fitting our new kitchen...

Bought all the units from DIY Kitchens in Kirkby, amazing showroom there!...all units come ready built and are excellent quality. Getting quartz worktops from 'Granite and Quartz installations '... they've been excellent too. Being fitted on the 13th December.

Don't be scared to fit the kitchen yourself, it's not rocket science!!

... saves a huge amount of money and saves grief from tradespeople letting you down or doing a poor job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

Speak for yourself. You said exactly the same about installing your log burner.

Some of us just aren't that way inclined and would quite happily pay a professional to do a proper job.

Good for you that you can DIY but if it was that simple, the world wouldn't need qualified tradespeople.

I've done a 'proper' job!.. why do you automatically think I haven't?

Believe me, there are a lot of so called qualified tradesmen that charge a fortune for inferior work!

10 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I've done a 'proper' job!.. why do you automatically think I haven't?

Believe me, there are a lot of so called qualified tradesmen that charge a fortune for inferior work!

Mate, I’m with @Izzy on this one. 

I am probably the last person on the planet that I’d choose to install my kitchen! 

Great if you can do it - but some of us just aren’t as competent.

I’ve tried my hand at most things, and have come to conclusion (with the wholehearted agreement of my wife) that I am truly sh*t at the vast majority of them. 

I now justify using a tradesperson if I can earn more than them on a daily rate basis. So as long as I earn more on any given day that I’m using a professional, it’s a win/win. I get the job done properly and it hasn’t cost me anything (yep, I know that’s a bit flawed, but it works for me).  

To contribute to the thread, we got a quote from DIY kitchens and Howdens matched it. Took a huge amount off the original Howdens quote. I then got someone waaaay better than me to install it! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

I am probably the last person on the planet that I’d choose to install my kitchen! 

I’ve tried my hand at most things, and have come to conclusion (with the wholehearted agreement of my wife) that I am truly sh*t at the vast majority of them. 

I now justify using a tradesperson if I can earn more than them on a daily rate basis. So as long as I earn more on any given day that I’m using a professional, it’s a win/win. I get the job done properly and it hasn’t cost me anything (yep, I know that’s a bit flawed, but it works for me).  

To contribute to the thread, we got a quote from DIY kitchens and Howdens matched it. Took a huge amount off the original Howdens quote. I then got someone waaaay better than me to install it! 

It’s not flawed thinking, that’s literally the point of money. It’s a barter system so if you’re a doctor and you need some bread, you don’t have to wait until the baker is sick to get bread, treat the baker when he’s sick, get some fun tokens and buy bread when you need it. I agree, the last thing I want to do after doing my own job is to do someone else’s job worse than them. I can do diy things around the house but f4ck off am I fitting my own kitchen lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Milo said:

All I was saying is that because all the cabinets are fully built it's just a matter of putting them in place, fixing to the wall, leveling up etc.... what's so 'skilled' about that?...

Different if you need bespoke units made to measure etc, but most kitchens don't.

• Like 1