Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester pub The Bricklayers Arms re-opening after it was closed three years ago

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/leicester-pub-bricklayers-arms-re-8018080?fbclid=IwAR2cHotiu0ASXS3P7R1ArPtGhg6I8oyCYjI8lxok9Wb42jUuduQxxk8GwC4

Pub set to re-open after being closed three years ago

A well-known Leicester pub is preparing to re-open under new management, after being closed for almost three years. The Bricklayers Arms, in Welford Road, will re-launch on Saturday, January 28 with a new team at the helm.

To mark the pub's new beginning, it will now be known as Fox Hut Bar. The pub has been taken over by experienced landlord Sam Okafor, who also runs The Hind pub in London Road, located close to Leicester Railway Station.

According to Sam, who took over The Hind in 2017, he was keen to expand his business and saw The Bricklayers Arms as an ideal opportunity. Sam got the keys to the Welford Road pub in October last year, and has since given the place a makeover.

READ MORE: Popular pub forced to close down as owner can no longer afford soaring energy costs

"The pub has been closed since before lockdown, so nearly three years now. We've done a big refurbishment and changed everything - the bar, the toilets, we've painted. We've made the place look more presentable and more modern," Sam told LeicestershireLive.

See inside Fox Hut Bar

VIEW GALLERY
"It is my understanding that it didn't have a good reputation, so we want to put it back to what it should be," added Sam, who wants to welcome everyone, including families, students, local office workers and football and rugby supporters.

The pub will be open from early morning, for those wanting a coffee on the way to work or a cooked breakfast, to the evening, when people may want to gather for an after-work drink or a meal with the family. According to Sam, the menu will focus on pub classics, such as burgers, fish and chips and sausage and mash.

Lunchtime offerings such as sandwiches will be available. There will be five beers on draught, along with other craft beers, spirits, wines and cocktails.

Sports fans will be able to watch matches on the seven TV screens including a 150 inch projector screen, and can also make use of the pool tables and darts boards. A late licence has been granted to the pub, which means it will remain open until 3am at weekends.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/leicester-pub-bricklayers-arms-re-8018080?fbclid=IwAR2cHotiu0ASXS3P7R1ArPtGhg6I8oyCYjI8lxok9Wb42jUuduQxxk8GwC4

A well-known Leicester pub is preparing to re-open under new management, after being closed for almost three years. The Bricklayers Arms, in Welford Road, will re-launch on Saturday, January 28 with a new team at the helm.

To mark the pub's new beginning, it will now be known as Fox Hut Bar. The pub has been taken over by experienced landlord Sam Okafor, who also runs The Hind pub in London Road, located close to Leicester Railway Station.

According to Sam, who took over The Hind in 2017, he was keen to expand his business and saw The Bricklayers Arms as an ideal opportunity. Sam got the keys to the Welford Road pub in October last year, and has since given the place a makeover.

READ MORE: Popular pub forced to close down as owner can no longer afford soaring energy costs

"The pub has been closed since before lockdown, so nearly three years now. We've done a big refurbishment and changed everything - the bar, the toilets, we've painted. We've made the place look more presentable and more modern," Sam told LeicestershireLive.

See inside Fox Hut Bar

VIEW GALLERY
"It is my understanding that it didn't have a good reputation, so we want to put it back to what it should be," added Sam, who wants to welcome everyone, including families, students, local office workers and football and rugby supporters.

The pub will be open from early morning, for those wanting a coffee on the way to work or a cooked breakfast, to the evening, when people may want to gather for an after-work drink or a meal with the family. According to Sam, the menu will focus on pub classics, such as burgers, fish and chips and sausage and mash.

Lunchtime offerings such as sandwiches will be available. There will be five beers on draught, along with other craft beers, spirits, wines and cocktails.

Sports fans will be able to watch matches on the seven TV screens including a 150 inch projector screen, and can also make use of the pool tables and darts boards. A late licence has been granted to the pub, which means it will remain open until 3am at weekends.

I’ll give it a miss I think 

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

After Man City was definitely one.

Prior to Forest as well lads were in there.

Was gonna say, I walk past it every home game on way into town and have recently (this season) seen people in there.

• Like 2

bizarre name - never agreed with changing a pubs name. cheap trick to try and rebrand, you should be able to change perception (if it had a bad rep) through what you do behind the bar. he's done a decent job with the Hind, so should be able to do the same here.

either call it The Fox or The Fox Hunt if you need to change the name

The Swan and Rushes being called Sapphire is a travesty - at least they didn't get rid of the old sign though

Edited by Out Foxed

28 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

bizarre name - never agreed with changing a pubs name. cheap trick to try and rebrand, you should be able to change perception (if it had a bad rep) through what you do behind the bar. he's done a decent job with the Hind, so should be able to do the same here.

either call it The Fox or The Fox Hunt if you need to change the name

The Swan and Rushes being called Sapphire is a travesty - at least they didn't get rid of the old sign though

I still think the Hind could be better, but yes at least it’s not in the state of the Swan and Rushes. Recently, they were proudly advertising that they weren’t selling beer! Black Country Ales have previously sniffed around, that might be the best bet for the Swan and Rushes.

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Why is this in the ticket section? 

Ticket and Travel, fans stop to have a drink when they're traveling to the game.

19 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I still think the Hind could be better, but yes at least it’s not in the state of the Swan and Rushes. Recently, they were proudly advertising that they weren’t selling beer! Black Country Ales have previously sniffed around, that might be the best bet for the Swan and Rushes.

Really hope this happens. Matchdays have never been quite the same for me since it went to pot there.

The new name :dunno:

Reminds me of a joke......

The queen was getting ready for a day out and called over her dresser, "One doesn't know what to wear on one's head for today"?

The dresser asked "Where are you going?"

Queen replies "To the Horse racing at Warwick"

Dresser replies "Racing at Warwick? ....wear the fox hat"

Queen "It's somewhere near Coventry"!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

fair point - i have vague memories of it in the past being not great, i know it was pretty lively back in the day and was in the around 2020 and the music was decent. think it suffers from positioning, crossing the road is a bastard. if it was where tesco was it'd be a better pit stop for people. if you drink in the marquis do you stop by the hind before town, probably not you head in or go time bar/steamin billy whatever it's called now is supposedly shutting so that might help. The Hind always seems a bit dark inside from my recollection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

fair point - i have vague memories of it in the past being not great, i know it was pretty lively back in the day and was in the around 2020 and the music was decent. think it suffers from positioning, crossing the road is a bastard. if it was where tesco was it'd be a better pit stop for people. if you drink in the marquis do you stop by the hind before town, probably not you head in or go time bar/steamin billy whatever it's called now is supposedly shutting so that might help. The Hind always seems a bit dark inside from my recollection. 

Certainly got more difficult crossing that road! Think it could really do well as a no frills, wet pub, especially with Parcel Yard being wound down, like you say.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2023 at 08:57, davieG said:

See inside Fox Hut Bar

VIEW GALLERY

The Hind is an absolute dive based on the experience my wife and I had a few months ago. 

We went in for a pint after going to the Little Theatre. The landlady there had a face like a slapped arse, and the pint of bitter she gave me was as flat as a pancake. She refused to exchange it and she looked like it was a real bind-giving any customer service.

Let's hope this pub is a massive improvement.