Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jock's Hill

Last day transfer madness

Why do clubs seem to drag out all of these transfer deals to the very last day of the window and even to the last few hours.

We know City are trying to sign 3-4 players and ship out a similar number but as of 25th Jan we have signed just one player. In an ideal world that leaves 7 more transfers to complete in 6 days

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jock's Hill said:

3-4 players and ship out

I doubt many of these are any hurry to leave if their contract expires in the summer, just because the club wants them to move doesn't mean they have to. It would need very good deals to tempt them and they're not likely as any club really wanting them can get them for free in 6months.

1 hour ago, Jock's Hill said:

Why do clubs seem to drag out all of these transfer deals to the very last day of the window and even to the last few hours.

We know City are trying to sign 3-4 players and ship out a similar number but as of 25th Jan we have signed just one player. In an ideal world that leaves 7 more transfers to complete in 6 days

It's not intentional. You get a domino effect where one transfer suddenly makes another one available, and so on. Clubs generally wait till the end to get the most value from it. It's fine if you are Chelsea with more money than sense, then you can buy whoever you want, whenever you want. For everyone else, you have to be careful.

All that said, I guarantee Chelsea make a huge last day signing themselves, which will trigger tons of moves across Europe. 

I'd expect tons of activity from us, even if it's just loan deals.

2 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Because football is ran by the players agents. 

Why would you agree to something at offer 1 for instance. Just look at the lad gone to spurs instead of Everton. More than likely the agent has got a better deal for him and the player. 

It's the reason they will hold out for until right to the wire and then it's a game of chicken. They make an extra few £ and the player moves. 

For how much is leaked on twitter etc. There is probably 20x as much going on that people don't and will never know about. 

this has been the case for some time now. Agents will tell their clients to hold out as long as possible so that the buying club get desperate and up the ante, or someone else comes in to gazump the deal. If i recall correctly did that not happen with Willian? came over for a medical with spurs and then signed for Chelsea the next day?

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The domino effect is overrated. Hard cash makes deals happen.

i don't think so. you can only name 25 in a squad, so unless you are paying silly wages for players that are never going to play, you have to create a vacancy first by selling. Either that or if a player leaves unexpectedly, or gets injured, then a replacement has to be found. If Fofana had not had his head turned and spat out his dummy, then we would not have signed Faes, at least not in the last window.

18 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The domino effect is overrated. Hard cash makes deals happen.

That's when you end up paying over the odds for things. 

Clubs will play against agents too. Its a two way process and the reason it usually goes to the deadline. 

24 minutes ago, urban fox said:

this has been the case for some time now. Agents will tell their clients to hold out as long as possible so that the buying club get desperate and up the ante, or someone else comes in to gazump the deal. If i recall correctly did that not happen with Willian? came over for a medical with spurs and then signed for Chelsea the next day?

It is and probably the same for a lot of players pre Twitter and the internet i imagine it happened a lot more too. 

I imagine majority of players don't really care who they play for as long as they are getting the best deal possible. 

Out of interest it how many players do you actually thing don't like playing football and it just happens they are very good at it? How many do it as it is just a job to then. Like me and you, if i didnt have to work and pay bills i wouldnt. There must be footballers out there that just dont like it or have fell out of love with the game.  

I think a fair few must fall out of love with the game given the strict training regimes and constant pressure to perform. not to mention the constant intrusion into their private lives these days. Balotelli famously said that he didn't particularly like being a pro footballer and that it was just his job.

13 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I think a fair few must fall out of love with the game given the strict training regimes and constant pressure to perform. not to mention the constant intrusion into their private lives these days. Balotelli famously said that he didn't particularly like being a pro footballer and that it was just his job.

I think there’s been others as well that have spoken out that they see it more as a job rather than something they love.

Bale barely seemed interested in playing for the second half of his career.

Danny Rose I believe has spoken about doing it as a job before. 
And Ben White said he didn’t watch football when asked who his favourite team was IIRC.

1 minute ago, Foxes96 said:

I think there’s been others as well that have spoken out that they see it more as a job rather than something they love.

Bale barely seemed interested in playing for the second half of his career.

Danny Rose I believe has spoken about doing it as a job before. 
And Ben White said he didn’t watch football when asked who his favourite team was IIRC.

I was also told once that Marlon Hareweood didn't actually like football and that he preferred cricket, and that football was just a job to him. Guess it shows given how crap he was.

However, someone else told me that he's still playing at Sunday League level for one his mates. So maybe he does like football afterall?

On 25/01/2023 at 13:27, Jock's Hill said:

Its mostly our club that does it, we have an addiction to it at this point.