Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WardyisPukka

Nathan Opoku

4 minutes ago, BigWesMorgan said:

Guy plays in the 4th Tier of the US System, even for a youth team signing that's bizarre

I mean, just last month he was named Most Outstanding Offensive Player in the NCAA for the National Champions (Syracuse). Kid’s obviously got some talent and certainly seems worthy of taking a chance on. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, ConnFoxUS said:

I mean, just last month he was named Most Outstanding Offensive Player in the NCAA for the National Champions (Syracuse). Kid’s obviously got some talent and certainly seems worthy of taking a chance on. 🤷🏻‍♂️

How much do you even expect to pay for a player at that level?

3 minutes ago, BigWesMorgan said:

I don’t expect to pay him anything, but I don’t run a football club. 

I thought LCFC prided itself on finding unpolished gems? This feels exactly like that.  Low risk, high reward potential. Let him get some experience at Leuven and let’s see what he can do. 

23 minutes ago, ConnFoxUS said:

Leading scorer for them.  Think under the radar signing. Jack Harrison played college soccer in the US too - same league.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, BigWesMorgan said:

It's a free transfer.

He opted out of his generation adidas mls contract and was projected a top 3 pick in this years MLS draft.  The generation adidas contract would have paid him 100,000 US his first season in MLS (roughing 81,000 GBP) 

He's still technically a semi professional. NCAA college players don't get paid but he is on a full ride scholarship at Syracuse university that's most likely valued at 350k US.

He is MLS ready as a backup striker at for a team lower in the league standings.  As he has not trained fully as a professional as yet (full time 7 days a week in a program at a professional club) he's still quite raw and undeveloped. 

Edited by Molson Canadian
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, BigWesMorgan said:

Guy plays in the 4th Tier of the US System, even for a youth team signing that's bizarre

Just look at the last time we poached a player from the lower echelons of a certain football league.... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Just look at the last time we poached a player from the lower echelons of a certain football league.... 

Don't think that's really comparable though. 4th Tier there is probably about Midlands Div one

Having watched a few videos of him though he looks very quick and powerful

Edited by BigWesMorgan

47 minutes ago, BigWesMorgan said:

Actually lower because NCAA is semi professional status.  He most likely left Ghana after being offered a full ride educational/sports scholarship which covered all his fee's and expenses and the chance to get a 4 year degree.  He is a Communications and Rhetorical studies major. 

1 minute ago, Molson Canadian said:

Actually lower because NCAA is semi professional status.  He most likely left Ghana after being offered a full ride educational/sports scholarship which covered all his fee's and expenses and the chance to get a 4 year degree.  He is a Communications and Rhetorical studies major. 

It’s a massive risk for him but let’s hope its one that pays off 

47 minutes ago, BigWesMorgan said:

The MLS does an annual draft - mainly from Div 1 college and some decent players have come by that route. A couple of others recently are Matt Turner (at Arsenal) and Tajon Buchanon (Canada/Club Brugge) - who actually came from the same program as Opoku. Supposedly Buchanon is signing with an EPL team this summer - already agreed to. 

The fact that he gave up the opportunity to sign a mls adidas generational status contract shows that he knew of interest from outside of MLS for him after this years college season finished.  I'm sure he wasn't short of options for teams who wanted to sign him in Europe.  He now gets a good opportunity at OHL to develop in a professional environment.  I'm unsure how much he will be paid but I don't think he will be making at 100,000 US a season like he would have in MLS to start. 

2 minutes ago, TeaMen Tom said:

The MLS does an annual draft - mainly from Div 1 college and some decent players have come by that route. A couple of others recently are Matt Turner (at Arsenal) and Tajon Buchanon (Canada/Club Brugge) - who actually came from the same program as Opoku. Supposedly Buchanon is signing with an EPL team this summer - already agreed to. 

He opted out of this years draft and didn't sign a MLS entry contract.  He was a projected top 3 pick.