Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PAULCFC

moving away from Leicester

On 27/02/2023 at 17:28, FoxesDeb said:

I've said here before that the only thing I miss about the UK is my season ticket, and that has become less over time, we moved abroad just over 2 years ago now.

I watch every City game on the TV, and get down to the local team for my 'live' fix. If you can find a better quality of life elsewhere it will be worth the missed trips to the KP. We were very lucky to be able to move at the ages we did, and honestly we've never looked back, if it's what you want do it while you can!

Tbh despite my post above I'm thinking of leaving the UK again. I don't really want to, I love it here, but neither I nor my partner think it's a good place to bring up kids, nor can we really afford our own place which is of course related to point one

• Like 3

I moved to Richmond, London, six years ago for work with my then fiancée. I found I missed Leicester for the first six months but then soon settled and started to build a network and friendship group in the area. 

You get back what you put in. We loved our time down there and I used to get my fix of LCFC at London away games and probably did 1 in every 3 home games.

We’re now back in the midlands in Northamptonshire, enjoying the space, countryside and commute to London 2-3 times a week. A nice balance.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Northumberland is lovely.

p.s @DaggersI see I’m in your profile pic. Is this a sign of your current mood, or a prediction as to how our season might end?😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maybes said:

I moved to Richmond, London, six years ago for work with my then fiancée. I found I missed Leicester for the first six months but then soon settled and started to build a network and friendship group in the area. 

You get back what you put in. We loved our time down there and I used to get my fix of LCFC at London away games and probably did 1 in every 3 home games.

We’re now back in the midlands in Northamptonshire, enjoying the space, countryside and commute to London 2-3 times a week. A nice balance.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Northumberland is lovely.

p.s @DaggersI see I’m in your profile pic. Is this a sign of your current mood, or a prediction as to how our season might end?😂

Yes, and yes. :D

Such a great pic from that season. Mainly for Alex, you're just looking like someone told a saucy joke.

• Haha 1

TV programme 'A place in the Sun' have an exhibition in manchester this weekend, we are going to look into the ins and outs of safely buying a place in spain possibly this year or next in readiness  for retirement in around 8 yrs time. 

Looks like they have some good seminars on to cover this, and you get to see Laura Hamilton!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stretch1965 said:

TV programme 'A place in the Sun' have an exhibition in manchester this weekend, we are going to look into the ins and outs of safely buying a place in spain possibly this year or next in readiness  for retirement in around 8 yrs time. 

Looks like they have some good seminars on to cover this, and you get to see Laura Hamilton!

I'm guessing you already have, but the most important thing for UK citizens to do now is to check the visa requirements, it's all so different now post Brexit with the income required, and unfortunately retirement in the Spanish sun is out of many people's reach.

We moved here permanently about 2.5 years ago, if you want to ask anything feel free to drop me a message :) 

On 27/02/2023 at 09:30, SkidsFox said:

If the OP wants to be near the coast, maybe they should consider the south coast? Choose a place a few miles inland to avoid the excessive mark-up on properties. Generally a better, sunnier climate, plus there will still be job opportunities. NHS and care worker vacancies are very much in evidence down there, given that many people choose to retire there. 

The south & west  coast even inland,are just money dustbins..

Far too expensive..plus even more normal accomodations,are 2nd homes for Southerners, living the high life, and putting locals out of  the market..

Many years ago experienced it first hand...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm guessing you already have, but the most important thing for UK citizens to do now is to check the visa requirements, it's all so different now post Brexit with the income required, and unfortunately retirement in the Spanish sun is out of many people's reach.

We moved here permanently about 2.5 years ago, if you want to ask anything feel free to drop me a message :) 

Thanks Deb appreciate that and may take you up it, we have looked into it but only so far as it is a bit of a grey area. Hopefully we will get some answers tomorrow as one of the seminars is on Visa applications.

• Like 1

Devon or Cornwall were our two picks,but the house's down there are mega pounds!We have family in Carlisle and allways enjoyed our holidays up in Northumberland(The Farne islands are great)...So we just have to sell two houses and i'm ready to go........i know it won't be as easy as that,but to be honest i can't wait!

On 03/03/2023 at 06:34, stretch1965 said:

How did you get on? Did you get to see luscious Laura?

I’ve lived in Norfolk for last thirty years and the north-east for the ten years before that. I’m a links golf enthusiast so both locations suited me and was a member at Silloth & Bamburgh (not links I know) whilst I was up there. Played a lot at Seaton Carew too. 
Both coasts are wonderful. Big difference is the NE is so much colder. You don’t want to live hard by the coast either as a wind off the North Sea or a sea fret will leave you perishing in either location.

Despite this sites detest of NUFC fans I found most Geordies great company - they certainly know how to party.

You clearly get a lot more for your money property wise in the NE. Coastal locations in Norfolk are prohibitively expensive. Sadly there are many more run down areas in the NE so property prices in the good bits are correspondingly higher & even Newcastle itself seemed pretty tired with less of the usual vibrancy when I was there last year.

As others have advised rent for a year if you can afford it before you buy so you can determine where you’d like to live.

Edited by ftfagos
Poor choice of word
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

How did you get on? Did you get to see luscious Laura?

Ha ha sadly not, saw Jasmin tho.

Really enjoyed the day and was very informative. We plan to visit some areas 2 or 3 times this year to get a feel for a location  and possibly not look to retire there but just spend the winters and keep a place here.

Interesting that they said the energy price increase we are experiencing here has not hit spain, is that what you have found?

Would you also agree it is around 25-30% cheaper to eat out and food shop,

Thanks

7 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

Ha ha sadly not, saw Jasmin tho.

Really enjoyed the day and was very informative. We plan to visit some areas 2 or 3 times this year to get a feel for a location  and possibly not look to retire there but just spend the winters and keep a place here.

Interesting that they said the energy price increase we are experiencing here has not hit spain, is that what you have found?

Would you also agree it is around 25-30% cheaper to eat out and food shop,

Thanks

The energy price hike has definitely been felt here, just not as acutely, and it was much cheaper to start with. Petrol and diesel have increased by around 50% since 2020, with no real sign of going back to the pre Ukraine prices, still cheaper than the UK but not by much. 

Eating and drinking out is definitely much cheaper than the UK, but it will vary across Spain, we've noticed a difference even between being 40 minutes inland to where we are now on the coast.

Food shopping is cheaper, and you eat differently too. There aren't the same convenience foods and ready meals here, and the fresh food is generally better quality. Plus when it's over 30 degrees for months on end you eat less lol If you shop in the English shops like Iceland it will be expensive, and some Brits do, but everything is available in the Spanish supermarkets at a generally cheaper price than the UK.

If you're planning to spend winters here be careful where you choose, people forget that Spain is still a cold country, it just gets lots of sun. The houses here aren't built to retain heat, and it does get very cold in the winter months, thankfully the winters are pretty short. 

Exciting times!

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

The energy price hike has definitely been felt here, just not as acutely, and it was much cheaper to start with. Petrol and diesel have increased by around 50% since 2020, with no real sign of going back to the pre Ukraine prices, still cheaper than the UK but not by much. 

Eating and drinking out is definitely much cheaper than the UK, but it will vary across Spain, we've noticed a difference even between being 40 minutes inland to where we are now on the coast.

Food shopping is cheaper, and you eat differently too. There aren't the same convenience foods and ready meals here, and the fresh food is generally better quality. Plus when it's over 30 degrees for months on end you eat less lol If you shop in the English shops like Iceland it will be expensive, and some Brits do, but everything is available in the Spanish supermarkets at a generally cheaper price than the UK.

If you're planning to spend winters here be careful where you choose, people forget that Spain is still a cold country, it just gets lots of sun. The houses here aren't built to retain heat, and it does get very cold in the winter months, thankfully the winters are pretty short. 

Exciting times!

Appreciate the info thanks Deb