Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

10 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

All I'm saying is I'm personally looking forward to more Zak Crawley, on the face of it averaging over 40 for Kent so far this season. However, that is padded out with a 170 he scored, whilst averaging under 20 taking that decent knock out. 

I wish Cook was still playing for England. Crawley is an average opener. Be amazed if he gets more than 2 half centuries in the series. 

I have a horrible feeling that ‘Bazball’ might be found out. These Aussie bowlers are a class above although the Saffa attack was decent and in the end we coped with that well. 

A lot will depend on how well the Aussies bat I think. Not many are coming in with any form so it could get tasty. It’ll be 3-2 one way or the other. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I have a horrible feeling that ‘Bazball’ might be found out. These Aussie bowlers are a class above although the Saffa attack was decent and in the end we coped with that well. 

A lot will depend on how well the Aussies bat I think. Not many are coming in with any form so it could get tasty. It’ll be 3-2 one way or the other. 

Possibly, though it survived against NZ bowling in NZ conditions and Pakistani bowling in Pakistan conditions too. Also against the Indian pace attack in home conditions.

I'm optimistic in home conditions, even against a bowling attack likely to be better than anything faced thus far.

Off to the Saturday at Old Trafford myself.

This will be all very "ChatGPT - write a Foxestalk post in the style of Voll Blau about the England Test team", but:

- How is Foakes's place in the side even up for debate?

- Especially on the basis that he'd probably be dropped to save Crawley, who managed 11 and a diamond duck this week.

- And how shit is it that the whole series is going to be over before August, with barely a breather between Tests, just so a competition that thankfully seems destined for the scrapheap can take the prime slot of the English summer?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Not long before this starts. 
My prediction we’ll win 3-1. 
Any thoughts on leading run scorer and wicket taker. 
I will go with Brook and Cummins. 

Still 7 weeks to go - but I like your enthusiasm :D

All set up to be one of the all time great series so I just hope it all lives up to the expectations.

A bit too early for predictions from me. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2023 at 20:33, Tommy Fresh said:

All I'm saying is I'm personally looking forward to more Zak Crawley, on the face of it averaging over 40 for Kent so far this season. However, that is padded out with a 170 he scored, whilst averaging under 20 taking that decent knock out. 

Pretty much sums his test career too, a streaky and non consistent opener. 

He's got lots of shots in his locker but doesn't have the mental grit to play test match cricket to me. He's only in the side due to Bazball & Kent connections.

I think he'll be a walking wicket come ashes time and maybe that'll be the last time see him for a while. I'd like them to pick another opener in the squad I'd take any of the following:

Compton

Haines

Jennings

Bairstow (left field for test cricket)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Izzy said:

BRING

IT

ON

Can't remember the last time there was so much anticipation for an Ashes series. It's gonna be awesome.

Definitely. Gonna be very even I think. 

Just hope weather doesn't ruin any/many games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Remember the start to the 2006 series after how class 2005 was 

Poor old Harmy, probably remembered as much for that wide as everything positive he did in his career 

• Haha 1

Usually pretty optimistic but I'm feeling a defeat this year and the first bump in the road for baz ball. 

I think people will soon start getting on their backs if they throw their wickets away but it only takes it two to come off for us to be in a strong position. Need Root to play properly and not gift it away. 

Can't see many lasting the 5 days, weather permitting. Two strong bowling attacks in English conditions. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2023 at 20:33, Tommy Fresh said:

Surely everyone's average drops a bit if you take out their good scores lol

I do agree with you on Crawley though, but they've decided that if Crawley comes off once it could be match winning and are willing to take the hit with the low scores. His job appears to be score quickly to get things going, even if its 20 from 20. 

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Surely everyone's average drops a bit if you take out their good scores lol

I do agree with you on Crawley though, but they've decided that if Crawley comes off once it could be match winning and are willing to take the hit with the low scores. His job appears to be score quickly to get things going, even if its 20 from 20. 

Even with his good scores his averages are crap though 😂 like his test average his scores shouldn't be reliant on scoring well against one nation only. If he's only in the side to get us off to a quick start, which Duckett does anyway than just have Bairstow open.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Even with his good scores his averages are crap though 😂 like his test average his scores shouldn't be reliant on scoring well against one nation only. If he's only in the side to get us off to a quick start, which Duckett does anyway than just have Bairstow open.

I would do the same but they want Bairstow coming in against tired bowlers and taking the game away. And to be fair he was doing that incredibly well before his injury so can see why they want to keep that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I would do the same but they want Bairstow coming in against tired bowlers and taking the game away. And to be fair he was doing that incredibly well before his injury so can see why they want to keep that. 

Might lump on Crawley being top run scorer, got to happen at some point 

50 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Might lump on Crawley being top run scorer, got to happen at some point 

Save your money. He’s the easiest wicket Australia will get. 

• Haha 2