Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The UK Migrant Crisis

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

@Otismoving the conversation to the right thread. Who is 'we'? Are you saying you knew who the people were you took into your house? We didn't, the refugees who arrived in Spain from the Ukraine didn’t have documents with them, and tbh I didn't care. 

Even with documentation, they are still strangers to you aren't they.

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

@Otismoving the conversation to the right thread. Who is 'we'? Are you saying you knew who the people were you took into your house? We didn't, the refugees who arrived in Spain from the Ukraine didn’t have documents with them, and tbh I didn't care. 

Ok Spain is different then. IN The UK...

If you don’t have a valid Ukrainian international passport, or an expired Ukrainian international passport with a formal extension stamp

If you do not hold a valid Ukrainian international passport, or an expired Ukrainian international passport with a formal extension stamp issued by the Ukrainian government, you will need to book and attend an appointment at a visa application centre (VAC). This also applies to child applicants.

During the online application process you’ll be asked to upload copies of any identity documents you may have such as:

• a Ukrainian national identity card
  • a combination of official documents – for example, a photo driving licence and birth certificate
  • an emergency certificate issued by a Ukrainian authority since March 2022

It is not mandatory to provide these documents but it may help support your application if you are able to.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

but surely we should be fairly open to those looking to better themselves

Not really no. I couldn't just rock up in America because I fancy living there .

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Ok Spain is different then. IN The UK...

If you don’t have a valid Ukrainian international passport, or an expired Ukrainian international passport with a formal extension stamp

If you do not hold a valid Ukrainian international passport, or an expired Ukrainian international passport with a formal extension stamp issued by the Ukrainian government, you will need to book and attend an appointment at a visa application centre (VAC). This also applies to child applicants.

During the online application process you’ll be asked to upload copies of any identity documents you may have such as:

• a Ukrainian national identity card
  • a combination of official documents – for example, a photo driving licence and birth certificate
  • an emergency certificate issued by a Ukrainian authority since March 2022

It is not mandatory to provide these documents but it may help support your application if you are able to.

You've said it yourself:

47 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You've said it yourself:

The Spanish authorities must have known they were from the Ukraine and not just taken their word.

I doubt they just turned up at your door and said hey we're desperate Ukraines, will you take us in.

Edited by Otis

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Putting your fingers in your ears, and turning back everyone who tries to arrive here is not going to solve the problem. 

But who can we demonise in the run up to the next election if we have an effective and efficient processing system.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Otis said:

The Spanish authorities must have known they were from the Ukraine and not just taken their word.

I doubt they just turned up at your door and said hey we're desperate Ukraines, will you take us in.

The refugees we took in weren't previously processed by the Spanish government.  At the height of the refugee crisis towns all over Spain were self funding buses to go to the Ukrainian border to collect refugees and bringing them back to our towns. Lorry drivers worked their time off driving coaches to collect them, we had coach companies who gave up their vehicles, charity shops gave up their stock, the response was incredible. The official processing came later. 

They didn't just turn up at my door, they were invited.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lionator said:

Putting your fingers in your ears, and turning back everyone who tries to arrive here is not going to solve the problem. 

Although turning everyone back isn't the right thing to do. It would actually solve the people trafficking problem. 

No one is going to pay 5k for a seat on a rubber dinghy if they know they'll be returned the same day.

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

They would replace the most corrupt, disgusting, destructive and entitled government on record. That alone would improve the situation.

No actaul details then apart from slagging of the current government. 

The title of this thread is Migrant Crisis.

You've all had your childish screaming fit about how terrible the Tories are, (maybe in an attempt to get this thread closed so it isn't discussed)

so let's have a grown up conversation about some real practical solutions? So far there's been very few.

17 minutes ago, Otis said:

You've all had your childish screaming fit about how terrible the Tories are, (maybe in an attempt to get this thread closed so it isn't discussed)

so let's have a grown up conversation about some real practical solutions? So far there's been very few.

Yes, it's all a leftie conspiracy. Rumbled.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Otis said:

I believe that some practical solutions involving "legal" immigration routes have been discussed upstream in this very thread.

NB. If people think this is a crisis right now, just wait until around a billion people in equatorial regions don't have enough food or potable water because their regions are simply too hot year round to sustain them. That's on its way.

17 minutes ago, Otis said:

I'll be honest and say I don't know what labours policy is, they may not have released it yet as we are still a way of a general election. 

To put it simply, the Tory government have caused this crisis, they've been in power for over a decade and have only made things alot worse. So I'd give the other team a go without the need to see actual details. 

What highpeakfox said puts it well, but I would go further. But I won't for you, as clearly how disgusting this government is, is lost on you.