Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nationwider

Crewe match thread

sheehan shouldn't of gone, the ref changed his mind twice, he went to book him realised he had looked as if a warnig would be given then some crewe willy puller said summat out came the cards.

2 offences all game ffs and yet their captain must of done alteast 4, same for most of their team

Correct. Kisnorbo was awful in midfield but improved when he went to the back.

I didn't think he did too badly in midfield. and I'm one of his biggest critics. He gave away the ball on one or two occasions rather cheaply but on the whole he battled well. Williams did do better when he came on, showed a bit of fight and Williams knows how to go forward.

Kisnorbo did look solid in defence too.

I didn't think he did too badly in midfield. and I'm one of his biggest critics. He gave away the ball on one or two occasions rather cheaply but on the whole he battled well. Williams did do better when he came on, showed a bit of fight and Williams knows how to go forward.

Kisnorbo did look solid in defence too.

so he should he's a bloody defender ffs

sheehan shouldn't of gone, the ref changed his mind twice, he went to book him realised he had looked as if a warnig would be given then some crewe willy puller said summat out came the cards.

2 offences all game ffs and yet their captain must of done alteast 4, same for most of their team

Sheehan should've gone it was a poor mistimed tackle and he had already been booked for a blatant offence and when your booked Napalm more times than not this means the next time you make a bad foul you are likely to be sent off. If the ref didn't realise Sheehan had already booked and not sent him off then that would have been the ref's fault.

Sheehan should've gone it was a poor mistimed tackle and he had already been booked for a blatant offence and when your booked Napalm more times than not this means the next time you make a bad foul you are likely to be sent off. If the ref didn't realise Sheehan had already booked and not sent him off then that would have been the ref's fault.

Spot on :thumbup:

i dint say it wasnt a booking i said he commited onle 2 offenses when crewe players were doing alot more and getting away with it

i dint say it wasnt a booking i said he commited onle 2 offenses when crewe players were doing alot more and getting away with it

But you did say Sheehan shouldn't have gone, i disagreed and got my points across as to why.

fair enough, as i said in another thread i felt it was harsh as i've seen worse tackles go unpunnished this season

The bit in bold was why he was sent off more than anything it wasn't just the tackle, because if it was the tackle then it would've been a straight red.

Well, you all sound pretty negative and everyone seems keen to slate Sheehan but if only it were that simple.

From what I totted up Leicester had 29 shots on goal, including several on target by Sheehan, won 15 corners and managed to score once against opponents who probably managed fewer than 10 shots at goal.

Leicester gave a cultured, balanced performance all round and by half-time had enjoyed around 77 per cent of possession according to one published statistic.

Even when down to 10 men (after two innocuous fouls by Sheehan) they stepped up the pace still further and rained attacks on the Crewe goalmouth.

Ironically we might easily have lost the game in the closing stages but for two brilliant goalline clearances by the re-emerging Steven Hughes, who for the first time this season, looked the class player he undoubtedly is.

But, these heartstopping moments apart I have rarely seen 10 men so dominate a game.

What we missed, pure and simple amidst all the cultured ball-to-feet passing was an end product. Hammond tucked one in after a Kisnorbo shot but was offside (again) and Hume's equaliser from a magnificent Joey cross was a cut-in from the left and volley to behold.

Hume was immense, threatening time and again to force a breakthrough. Joey must have a slow heartbeat to have striven the way he did without tiring and one is finding it hard to come up with new superlatives to describe his contribution.

But why the knocking of Sheehan I don't know. He made endless contributions in the first half/ Virtually every pass, apart from when under severe presure, found a man, he continuously supported the attack with passes, with shots and by making himself available and the statistics showed that City were embarrassingly dominant.

The goal came not because he was beaten but because the Crewe winger's cross deflected fortuitously off Sheehan's tackling boot, looped higher than otherwise and over Douglas to where Higdon was waiting unmarked at the far post.

I wouldn't even blame the centre-backs for Higdon being unmarked. It was simply a fluke deflection. Anyway, for a guy who supposedly played so badly acording to posts he got an appreciative round of applause when he left the field and in my view it was justified for his all round part in an excellent display and his supportive shots on goal which we haven't had from a full-back all season.

Another thing he, and others did was to constantly feed Ryan Smith who was so tired by the end of the game that he was reduced to simply delivering crosses.

Yet again, and for the second time in succession, I enjoyed the football served up by City.

That we failed to win was through simply not taking enough of our 29 chances and this is mainly because we have absolutely no aerial threat in the box (for all our pace).

But, our front men Hammond and Hume both (again) put the ball in the net.

Our big weakness up front was again, unquestionably, Sylla who had another inconsequential game.

Otherwise two things, confidence and a feeling that Levein ordered an attacking but contained and non-kamikaze start were, with the aerial problem, the probable reason for yet another draw.

Once we went down to 10 men we lifted the pace to urgent and Crewe never looked happy.

Altogether there were loads more plus points from the game than minus ones. We retained the ball well, our passing and turning were a threat, our movement was improved and we had plenty of shots.

This wasn't Burnley/QPR/Preston fare. It wasn't as exhilerating as against Sheffield United but it was another promising performance that ended without the right result. We ARE on the right road. For Heaven's sake cheer up and show some appreciation for a team which worked it's socks off and gave the opposition a non-stop headache.

I'd agree with the above - if you didn't go to the game, it sounds like a bit of a 'mare to read the result, but it was pretty good stuff in the 2nd half, very entertaining and a great goal. Suspicion of handball to control it (?) but Hume was moving so fast the officials would have been pushed to see it. Stonking finish

Well, you all sound pretty negative and everyone seems keen to slate Sheehan but if only it were that simple.

From what I totted up Leicester had 29 shots on goal, including several on target by Sheehan, won 15 corners and managed to score once against opponents who probably managed fewer than 10 shots at goal.

Leicester gave a cultured, balanced performance all round and by half-time had enjoyed around 77 per cent of possession according to one published statistic.

Even when down to 10 men (after two innocuous fouls by Sheehan) they stepped up the pace still further and rained attacks on the Crewe goalmouth.

Ironically we might easily have lost the game in the closing stages but for two brilliant goalline clearances by the re-emerging Steven Hughes, who for the first time this season, looked the class player he undoubtedly is.

But, these heartstopping moments apart I have rarely seen 10 men so dominate a game.

What we missed, pure and simple amidst all the cultured ball-to-feet passing was an end product. Hammond tucked one in after a Kisnorbo shot but was offside (again) and Hume's equaliser from a magnificent Joey cross was a cut-in from the left and volley to behold.

Hume was immense, threatening time and again to force a breakthrough. Joey must have a slow heartbeat to have striven the way he did without tiring and one is finding it hard to come up with new superlatives to describe his contribution.

But why the knocking of Sheehan I don't know. He made endless contributions in the first half/ Virtually every pass, apart from when under severe presure, found a man, he continuously supported the attack with passes, with shots and by making himself available and the statistics showed that City were embarrassingly dominant.

The goal came not because he was beaten but because the Crewe winger's cross deflected fortuitously off Sheehan's tackling boot, looped higher than otherwise and over Douglas to where Higdon was waiting unmarked at the far post.

I wouldn't even blame the centre-backs for Higdon being unmarked. It was simply a fluke deflection. Anyway, for a guy who supposedly played so badly acording to posts he got an appreciative round of applause when he left the field and in my view it was justified for his all round part in an excellent display and his supportive shots on goal which we haven't had from a full-back all season.

Another thing he, and others did was to constantly feed Ryan Smith who was so tired by the end of the game that he was reduced to simply delivering crosses.

Yet again, and for the second time in succession, I enjoyed the football served up by City.

That we failed to win was through simply not taking enough of our 29 chances and this is mainly because we have absolutely no aerial threat in the box (for all our pace).

But, our front men Hammond and Hume both (again) put the ball in the net.

Our big weakness up front was again, unquestionably, Sylla who had another inconsequential game.

Otherwise two things, confidence and a feeling that Levein ordered an attacking but contained and non-kamikaze start were, with the aerial problem, the probable reason for yet another draw.

Once we went down to 10 men we lifted the pace to urgent and Crewe never looked happy.

Altogether there were loads more plus points from the game than minus ones. We retained the ball well, our passing and turning were a threat, our movement was improved and we had plenty of shots.

This wasn't Burnley/QPR/Preston fare. It wasn't as exhilerating as against Sheffield United but it was another promising performance that ended without the right result. We ARE on the right road. For Heaven's sake cheer up and show some appreciation for a team which worked it's socks off and gave the opposition a non-stop headache.

Maybe Sheehan did make endless contribution and as to knock him not as many people are doing so as you think but get over it, Sheehan did deserved to be sent off.

Maybe Sheehan did make endless contribution and as to knock him not as many people are doing so as you think but get over it, Sheehan did deserved to be sent off.

Can't remember saying that he didn't. I said he committed two innocuous fouls. I've lost count of how many people I've seen stay on the field for far, far worse than that. In fact there wasn't a nasty tackle in the game that I saw and had I been a referee, I doubt I'd have booked anyone.

The fouls I saw were mistakes. Pity referees and linesmen don't book themselves for their mistakes. There was one occasion when Crewe almost broke through towards the end and there was a line of four attackers all clearly offside, including the recipient.

And yet the linesman, in a perfect position, allowed play to continue. How he could have made a mistake like that I've no idea but he'll be officiating and collecting his fee next week - and he had no excuse for his mistake.

Players should be booked for malicious fouls etc not for honest mistakes.

This should have been a blowout.

The headlines on all of the news stories say it all: "Crewe hold 10-man Leicester..."

Leicester went down to 10-men and had to come back from a goal down to grab the point, but they were the ones "held" to a draw.

And I suppose blowing a lead to a 10-man squad is a success for Crewe because they at least got a point away.

This season is so frustrating.

just got back.

All I can say about today..

Sylla is shit.

Hume is f**kin' brilliant.

Ryan smith has no right foot. =/

Sheehan's first booking was a bit harsh, but I believe it was him who was skinned for Crewe's goal, personally I'd rather not have him at LB just yet..

and once again.. De Vries is hopeless =/ should have nabbed it for us at the end there..

just got back.

All I can say about today..

Sylla is shit.

Hume is f**kin' brilliant.

Ryan smith has no right foot. =/

Sheehan's first booking was a bit harsh, but I believe it was him who was skinned for Crewe's goal, personally I'd rather not have him at LB just yet..

and once again.. De Vries is hopeless =/ should have nabbed it for us at the end there..

What about the 20 odd chances that were missed before MDVs are all those palyers useless?

What about the 20 odd chances that were missed before MDVs are all those palyers useless?

lol..

I don't think anyone of them were as clear cut as De Vries chance at the end there.. atleast it didnt look that way from where I was sitting. That game should have been won once again even after we went down to 10 men..

Come off it. Sheehan was well and truly beaten by the winger, there's no doubt about it. The moment Jones got the ball I was shouting "Close him down, stop the cross, stop the cross!!" but lo and behold, Sheehan failed to prevent the cross and the result is history. It may have been a lucky deflection off Sheehan, but he should never have let Jones cross the ball in the first place...or have the space to cross the ball.

If it was any other player - esp. Johansson in that position - you'd be saying the same.

I'm sorry but your Sheehan tinted spectacles are beginning to undermine your posts, in my opinion.

Leics may have dominated the game and well done to hum for scoring yet again. But the truth hurts, our defense concedes when they have little to do, we not scoring against weak teams enough and ultimately fail to make domination count. If we fail to beat millwall I would say craig's time is up, its alright sticking by a manager but not at the cost of relegation.

I enjoyed the game today.

For those of you who didn't see it, we honestly aren't that far away from being a quality championship side. What we need is:

Henderson to play when fit (over pile of shit Douglas)

Settled left back (we don't need a new one)

Another forward (Hammond is incompetent)

Right midfield sorting out (Griffiths could already be the answer to this)

I think, all in all, we only need one new signing - a forward.

I was quite impressed with Kisnorbo and Maybury today, and also Levein for playing Stearman centre back. I thought he did extremely well.

Hume was great, Smith did well, Joey did well, Williams was good when he came on.

MDV even did well to fashion that one on one (where he beat two players for pace cut inside and only a last ditch tackle stopped him getting a good connection)

The last game I went to see was the win over Cov, and trust me we performed FAR better today.

Couldn't go to the match today due to family commitments, bah, first home game I've missed all season and I miss Sheehan's first start.

From Thracian's and Cat Burger's comments it looks like another good perfromance, only lacking in the cutting edge of a real predator up front and marred by another stupid defensive error.

If Thracian and CB are content with the performance (not the result obviously) then that'll do for me.

Come off it. Sheehan was well and truly beaten by the winger, there's no doubt about it. The moment Jones got the ball I was shouting "Close him down, stop the cross, stop the cross!!" but lo and behold, Sheehan failed to prevent the cross and the result is history. It may have been a lucky deflection off Sheehan, but he should never have let Jones cross the ball in the first place...or have the space to cross the ball.

If it was any other player - esp. Johansson in that position - you'd be saying the same.

I'm sorry but your Sheehan tinted spectacles are beginning to undermine your posts, in my opinion.

I've said what I thought about Sheehan's overall contribution and if I were the manager I would have been suggesting that he should have closed the space down quicker and the fluke deflection wouldn't have occurred.

But, I've said all along he's gonna need fine tuning. That shouldn't devalue his overall contribution in the first half, his comfort on the ball, his attacking involvement, his constant availability for the crossfield passes, his own varied passes and shots plus the fact that Crewe were barely the flicker of a threat down the right.

Think of the other players. Stearman/Gerrbrand were almost caught out twice by through balls in the first half and had other hiccups, Maybury was hardly faultless or the strikers who missed over 20 shots.

The reason I've argued for Sheehan is that he's a natural left-back with attacking strengths to help maintain our attacks. We dominated posession today so my point is borne out. I never said/implied he was perfect.

Just that he's got so much more to offer than our other options and it showed even today. He almost always looked comfortable on the ball. At least from where I was - and that wasn't very far away at all.

Archived