Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Eriksson Will Quit After World Cup

Breaking news.

Eriksson to quit after World Cup

_41248880_eriksson_pa_203.jpg

Sven-Goran Eriksson has been the subject of constant speculation Sven-Goran Eriksson will quit as England coach following this summer's World Cup finals. Eriksson met with FA officials on Monday and will leave the job after six years in charge.

He said: "I am happy that we have reached this agreement and can now continue our preparations for the World Cup.

"It is important to stress how committed I am to success this summer. Let's go and win the World Cup."

Eriksson continued: "I know that I have the full support of the players and the FA.

"I care passionately about this job and I want everyone to know that.

"I have always enjoyed the incredible support of the fans and I know how important they will be to us in Germany."

Eriksson has come under increasing pressure following a interview with an undercover reporter from the News of the World.

The latest revelations, published on Sunday, had him accusing Premiership managers of receiving illicit payments from transfer deals.

He has also been linked to jobs at Manchester United and Chelsea since taking over from Kevin Keegan.

A compensation deal has been agreed on his £4m-a-year contract, which was due to run out in 2008.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick said: "The FA and Sven felt it was important to clarify his future.

"There has been so much speculation surrounding this matter in recent weeks and months, it was important to resolve it now.

"This is the right outcome and I would like to thank Sven and his advisors for their tremendous co-operation.

"Our main objective is giving Sven and the England team the best chance of achieving success at the World Cup and Sven is definitely the man to lead us in Germany."

Eriksson was watching West Ham play Fulham on Monday when the announcement was made at Soho Square

Good news get Pearce in!! We need to get an English manager

Why? Pearce has said himself he isn't yet ready for the job, and might not be for another two or three years.

If Mourinho or MON were available, I wouldn't knock them back.

Ability is FAR more important than nationality!

O'neill for England!!

Not really, my dough is on McClaren, not doing too well at 'boro, knows the England set up well.

Questions will now be asked whether Sven's heart will be in the job, i seriously hope it is or else we are doomed, he might as well quit now, so we have time to find a new manager, that can get his ideas across IMO.

If England win the Wolrd Cup in the summer I hope Eriksson refuses to speak to the media. It really pisses me off how badly England managers are treated in the papers, some rightly so but some are treated disgracefully. Eriksson has done some crazy stuff whilst being England manager but I find it funny. How can Sven not be classed as a legend for managing to bang a few women half his age and being caught out time and time again by people. It's well funny.

He's also got an excellent record as manager and I honestly don't think many managers would have a better record than Eriksson if they'd managed England. No doubt we'll get some two bit English manager like Allardyce or Curbishley and they'll be ripped to shreds by the media within a couple of years with their footballing reputation in tatters.

Who the hell would ever want to be England manager is beyond me. Get it right and you'll be a hero and a legend for years, get it wrong and you'll pay the price massively by disgusting media stories that will lead to the demise of your career and the chances of England ever winning anything.

I've always thought Sven has done well as manager here, he's got his faults but he's technically very astute when he needs to be. I just think he lacks that cutting edge thats needed at International Level, not many managers have it and our next manager of our country won't do any better than Sven I guarantee it. When was the last time an England manager left his position without any controversy? Even Robson was treated horrificly by the media and eventually the FA and he didn't stand for it and rightly so. Bunch of ****in cooonts.

Cheers for the memories Sven, you've been far more entertaining than the other lot and have alot better record.

Couldn't agree more Ric. The press are a joke!!

Forcing out the best England manager in god knows how long because he said such terrible things like "Rooney is from a poor family", "Ferdinand can be lazy", "Owen would have preferred to go to Liverpool", "Beckham would like to come back to England" and "some managers takes bungs".

SHOCKING REVALATIONS!!!!!

As for the replacements, god help us if they go English. What have any of them won?

If England win the Wolrd Cup in the summer I hope Eriksson refuses to speak to the media. It really pisses me off how badly England managers are treated in the papers, some rightly so but some are treated disgracefully. Eriksson has done some crazy stuff whilst being England manager but I find it funny. How can Sven not be classed as a legend for managing to bang a few women half his age and being caught out time and time again by people. It's well funny.

He's also got an excellent record as manager and I honestly don't think many managers would have a better record than Eriksson if they'd managed England. No doubt we'll get some two bit English manager like Allardyce or Curbishley and they'll be ripped to shreds by the media within a couple of years with their footballing reputation in tatters.

Who the hell would ever want to be England manager is beyond me. Get it right and you'll be a hero and a legend for years, get it wrong and you'll pay the price massively by disgusting media stories that will lead to the demise of your career and the chances of England ever winning anything.

I've always thought Sven has done well as manager here, he's got his faults but he's technically very astute when he needs to be. I just think he lacks that cutting edge thats needed at International Level, not many managers have it and our next manager of our country won't do any better than Sven I guarantee it. When was the last time an England manager left his position without any controversy? Even Robson was treated horrificly by the media and eventually the FA and he didn't stand for it and rightly so. Bunch of ****in cooonts.

Cheers for the memories Sven, you've been far more entertaining than the other lot and have alot better record.

I agree with all of that, but for 5 million a year, if it was me the press can hound me all they like, who'll be the one laughing all the way to the bank!

The press do need bringing down a peg or two, and the only way to do this, is to is for the FA to take a hardline with the members of the press who overstep the line, remove their passes and make it impossible to do a proper job.

Their editors would soon find them a desk job with a nice view of Canary Wharf

You can't just blame the press though (obviously on this occasion) but the man is a walking PR disaster! How many more time does he have to ring down the FA (not that I care about them either!!) I mean the Abramovic scandal, Faria scandal, crap tactics in the world cup quarters scandal!!!!!

Bring in MON is he's agreeable. Would do a better job on half the salary!!!

' date='Jan 24 2006, 02:01 PM' post='256507']

Lets get big Phil in!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4636890.stm

He is definately the sort of character they should go for and he's got a great record. He's also the sort of chap who wouldn't get ****ed about by the media, i'm not saying that would put the media off from ridiculing him as they are obsessed with ruining England managers but I could see Scolari being up for a battle with the press.

You can't just blame the press though (obviously on this occasion) but the man is a walking PR disaster! How many more time does he have to ring down the FA (not that I care about them either!!) I mean the Abramovic scandal, Faria scandal, crap tactics in the world cup quarters scandal!!!!!

Bring in MON is he's agreeable. Would do a better job on half the salary!!!

I agree with that but the media have still blown alot of stuff out of proportion and are desperate for anything to destroy an England manager, it sells papers. At the end of the day, football is the biggest sport in England. Stories about sportsmen are high profile but the biggest scoop of all is stories about the England manager as every English football fan follows England. If we do win the World Cup, the media will lap it up like they always do and no doubt they'll do what they can to squirm away from the fact they've wrote some shocking stuff about Sven and other England managers in the past.

If Sven hadn't done anything wrong other than what he's done footballing wise for England, the media would still be writing extremely negative and patronising articles about him and his abilities as a manager. They'll also be now campaigning for certain managers and a few months/years down the line the knives will be out again ridiculing their abilities as a manager, etc.

Archived