Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Leicester did ask to speak to Holloway

Just read on a QPR site that in a press conference they held at 3pm, the chairman said Leicester asked to speak to Holloway. Holloways agent told the chairman that the he wanted to speak to us also. This way why the chairman placed him on leave!!

http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=9...ytoid=532743870

Bad news IMO as it shows we even entertained the thought of getting him!!!

If we don't get him he's going to be a bit gutted isn't he. This is the only problem with what we are doing, managers are being forced to show their hand to the chairman of their clubs by saying they want to speak to us. There will be a few pissed off managers out there.

Just read on a QPR site that in a press conference they held at 3pm, the chairman said Leicester asked to speak to Holloway. Holloways agent told the chairman that the he wanted to speak to us also. This way why the chairman placed him on leave!!

If we don't get him he's going to be a bit gutted isn't he. This is the only problem with what we are doing, managers are being forced to show their hand to the chairman of their clubs by saying they want to speak to us. There will be a few pissed off managers out there.

It's just an excuse. They want rid, so blame the manager for asking to speak to another club.

Not exactly telling evidence, admittedly I haven't read it all but it looks to me like a lot of people speculating without any concrete facts, well I didn't see any - did I miss something?

Not exactly telling evidence, admittedly I haven't read it all but it looks to me like a lot of people speculating without any concrete facts, well I didn't see any - did I miss something?

It's all towards the bottom after about 50 posts just speculating.

The interview is also on QPRS official site but you need to be a member to view it. If someone has a password for the Leicester site it might work on there also.

The way I read it is simply Leicester interviewing their short list of people who are best qualified for the job in the proper, legal manner.

That also ties in with Lennon's announcement that he "saw himself as a player for now" because he does not have the qualifications, ie the coaching badges, to go with his experience as a player.

Coaching qualifications are not, as yet, an official requirement yet for clubs below Premiership level (so I believe but would happily stand correcting), however, that is the way it is going and you are hopelessly up against it if you haven't got em.

Doubtless, for instance, Thordarson would have been shortlisted because he has a string of qualifications.

I am allowed to panic yet ? :P

I'm sorry Babylon but I still do not believe the QPR board, particularly one as dodgy as them.

If I am to believe the QPR chairman, Leicester made an approach, which they refused presumably because they do not want us to speak to Holloway as they do not want him to leave. Rather than following the successful attitudes of both the Burnley & Preston chairmen, who expressed their desire to keep their managers and did so, QPR then remove him from his duties by way of "gardening leave".

Apparently, this is the result of Holloway wanting to talk to us. So QPR with their lack of multi-million pound bank balance can afford to stick a manager they don't want to lose on "gardening leave", whilst still continuing to pay his salary and most likely reducing any potential compensation they get from wantaway Holloway.

EDIT: I have just read teamtalk and I think it maybe a case of Holloway wanting to apply rather than Leicester approaching QPR for talks.

If it's true and someone somewhere is telling big fat porkies then I am absolutely disgusted. It's alright Tim Davies saying don't believe rumours but this is reportedly on theri official site. That being the case if Tim Davies has intimated that they haven't talked to QPR, when he could have ignored the question and it transpire they have then I believe Mr Davies should resign.

QPR Blog:

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Paladini on Holloway, Waddock & Smith - Reports of Today's Press Conference

-

Clubcall

Paladini on Holloway departure07 Feb 2006 16:23

Queens Park Rangers chairman Gianni Paladini has spoken of his reasons behind placing Ian Holloway on gardening leave and revealed the decision was taken after an approach from the Foxes for Holloway to take over at the Walkers Stadium.

Paladini was speaking at a press conference on Tuesday where he confirmed that caretaker boss Gary Waddock is likely to remain in charge until the end of the season at Loftus Road and that the former Rangers player is a serious consider for the job on a full-time

Waddock has taken over from Holloway after the Rangers boss was the subject of an approach from Leicester last week and Paladini felt it was affecting the team: "I had a phonecall from Leicester the day after we played them last week asking for permission to speak to Ian," said Paladini.

"I told Ian and his agent and they wanted to speak to Leicester, so they did. It was very difficult because Ian has been fantastic for QPR over the last five years and it has been a privilege to work with him

"My feeling was that if you are happily married why whould you look for another woman? I felt that it was better for us to move in a different direction and for him to maybe move on after a long time here. But I have nothing but praise for the man."

Jim Smith has been linked with a role of Loftus Road but Paladini revealed he was only spoken to about the possibility of coming in to help out Waddock: "The idea was for Jim to come in on a consultancy basis. What we asked him to do for us he couldn't do it because he job was never offered to him as the manager," said Paladini.

"We felt he could come and help Gary but we could not offer him what he wanted and he has moved on. We wanted him to come in without a contract and to help it but things never happened."

From Sky, a slightly different slant on the story: Which implies that he approached us and not the other way around.

Chairman Gianni Paladini says Ian Holloway will not be returning to manage Queens Park Rangers.

Holloway was put on gardening leave on Monday after attending an interview for the vacant managerial job at Championship rivals Leicester.

Paladini has since put Gary Waddock in charge of the first team and invited former boss Jim Smith to return to Loftus Road in an advisory role.

And he says he is prepared to pay Holloway for the remainder of his contract if necessary and will not be sacking the former Bristol Rovers manager, even if Leicester do not offer him the job.

"If a man is happily married why would he look for another woman?" said Paladini.

"If you get the opportunity to speak to someone it's your choice whether to go, or to stay. But maybe it's better for him to move, maybe he's been here too long. I don't blame him for looking.

"Once he applied for the job at Leicester we felt he couldn't concentrate on our team. Ian has had a rollercoaster time here under very difficult circumstances. He's done a tremendous job.

"I spoke to Leicester on Wednesday, then spoke to his agent, and he went to see them. But he hasn't been sacked. We will honour his contract until the end."

Smith has turned down Paladini's approach, at least for the time being, but could yet be back at the club he managed for three years in the 80s.

"Gary is caretaker manager and knows Jim well," Paladini said. "It was mainly consultancy that we asked him to do, we never asked him to be manager.

"It's a big job for Gary to take on, so getting Jim to come in might have been the right thing to do but we never discussed a position."

I would not believe Pandini full stop. I just spoke to a friend who's a QPR fan and he made it clear that no-one there believes Leicester are after Holloway, so it shows how much trust they have in their chairman.

Here is an interesting article on QPR's boardroom shenanigans.

The ABC of boardroom intrigue at Loftus Road

Here are a few choice quotes, although I suggest the reading of the whole article. It is very interesting:

"Now, after a string of boardroom showdowns, the club is run by Gianni Paladini, an Italian former players' agent and, increasingly, Antonio Caliendo, the one-time Mr Big of Italian agents who in 1991 received a 10-month suspended prison sentence for attempted corruption. QPR are mostly owned by two New York-registered companies, Barnaby and Wenlock, who operate from Monte Carlo."

"The club and its fans are reeling from a series of revelations, particularly about ballooning agents' fees paid out since Paladini became more closely involved. In the six months to June 30 2004, the Football League's list of agents' payments show QPR paid just £12,000 altogether. Then, from July 1 2004 to June 30 this year, QPR paid £320,935 in fees."

Interesting how a manager who is going through a rough patch, who is not liked by the fans and who backed Mike Newell in making public revelations regarding agents and corruption in the game, is described as fantastic and in a happy marriage with QPR and the board.

Interesting how a manager who is going through a rough patch, who is not liked by the fans and who backed Mike Newell in making public revelations regarding agents and corruption in the game, is described as fantastic and in a happy marriage with QPR and the board.

Indeed. From where I sit, Tim Davies and the Leicester board has appeared to have behaved impeccably so far - booting CL out over results while rightly giving him his dues on things like getting a generally very good and young squad together on the cheap (so much so that the parting was as amicable as it could get, given the circumstances), then getting a list of possible candidates together for the board to discuss and interview.

The QPR board, on the other hand, have treated Holloway shamefully and give no suggestion that any form of integrity is at all important for them

i hope holloway does go on to find a decent club , just not ours.

from what the qpr fans were saying he isnt the best manager but he is a decent bloke and the scuzbucket board of qpr are using leicester as an excuse to crap all over him.

interestingly the sun also says that qpr are using the leicester link for this purpose.

If it's true and someone somewhere is telling big fat porkies then I am absolutely disgusted. It's alright Tim Davies saying don't believe rumours but this is reportedly on theri official site. That being the case if Tim Davies has intimated that they haven't talked to QPR, when he could have ignored the question and it transpire they have then I believe Mr Davies should resign.

QPR Blog:

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Paladini on Holloway, Waddock & Smith - Reports of Today's Press Conference

-

Clubcall

Paladini on Holloway departure07 Feb 2006 16:23

Queens Park Rangers chairman Gianni Paladini has spoken of his reasons behind placing Ian Holloway on gardening leave and revealed the decision was taken after an approach from the Foxes for Holloway to take over at the Walkers Stadium.

Paladini was speaking at a press conference on Tuesday where he confirmed that caretaker boss Gary Waddock is likely to remain in charge until the end of the season at Loftus Road and that the former Rangers player is a serious consider for the job on a full-time

Waddock has taken over from Holloway after the Rangers boss was the subject of an approach from Leicester last week and Paladini felt it was affecting the team: "I had a phonecall from Leicester the day after we played them last week asking for permission to speak to Ian," said Paladini.

"I told Ian and his agent and they wanted to speak to Leicester, so they did. It was very difficult because Ian has been fantastic for QPR over the last five years and it has been a privilege to work with him

"My feeling was that if you are happily married why whould you look for another woman? I felt that it was better for us to move in a different direction and for him to maybe move on after a long time here. But I have nothing but praise for the man."

Jim Smith has been linked with a role of Loftus Road but Paladini revealed he was only spoken to about the possibility of coming in to help out Waddock: "The idea was for Jim to come in on a consultancy basis. What we asked him to do for us he couldn't do it because he job was never offered to him as the manager," said Paladini.

"We felt he could come and help Gary but we could not offer him what he wanted and he has moved on. We wanted him to come in without a contract and to help it but things never happened."

It's not the first time TD has told untruths either! :mad:

It's not the first time TD has told untruths either! :mad:

I beleieve what Tim said was "don't believe everything you read in the press"... So until we announce Holloway as our new manager let's give him the benefit of the doubt shall we. At the time the press were suggesting he had quit and was about to be unveiled at the Walkers... Which wasn't the case was it?

Exactly what previous eveidence of Davies being untruthful do you have? He suggested that the club had offered Joey a new contract? We probably did. Tim may even have expected him to sign it. Where is the untruth in that? :blink:

I beleieve what Tim said was "don't believe everything you read in the press"... So until we announce Holloway as our new manager let's give him the benefit of the doubt shall we. At the time the press were suggesting he had quit and was about to be unveiled at the Walkers... Which wasn't the case was it?

Exactly what previous eveidence of Davies being untruthful do you have? He suggested that the club had offered Joey a new contract? We probably did. Tim may even have expected him to sign it. Where is the untruth in that? :blink:

Hes said things to people that have clearly not been true. Aside from anything you have mentioned.

I don't know whether Leicester City advertised the job but if they did then they should speak to all applicants out of courtesy!

Ian Holloway may not be top of the anyones list but at least he is confident enough to apply for the job and at the end of the day he's done pretty well on limited resources at most of his previous clubs, now I'm not saying give him the job, but you can't blame the board for giving him an interview!

I don't know whether Leicester City advertised the job but if they did then they should speak to all applicants out of courtesy!

Ian Holloway may not be top of the anyones list but at least he is confident enough to apply for the job and at the end of the day he's done pretty well on limited resources at most of his previous clubs, now I'm not saying give him the job, but you can't blame the board for giving him an interview!

Well its like any job you interview any person who has applied who you think can do the job ..... and the board thought that Mr Holloway could do the job.

So shall I start then Ian Holloways blue and white army ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well its like any job you interview any person who has applied who you think can do the job ..... and the board thought that Mr Holloway could do the job.

So shall I start then Ian Holloways blue and white army ... :cry::cry::cry:

All we've been told about Holloway has come from the QPR board, they've said that Holloway asked to talk to us, that the board spoke to us and as far as I know that's it.

Tim Davies, in response to my messages to him has intimated twice, once as recently as this morning that Holloway is not in contention.

Holloway will get it now, revolting.

Unfortunately the fact that the Board have spoken to at least 4 current Championship Mgrs suggests their main focus is on a manager with proven experience at this level. Therefore, now that Judas Newell has turned us down, I can see them appointing Showhimthehighway rather than keeping RK or pursuing some of the other preferred names mentioned from Div 1 etc. Please don't let it be Noway.............

Archived