Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

McClaren set for England

McClaren named as England manager

_41636238_maclaren203apcredit.jpg

Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren has been appointed the next England manager, ending months of speculation over Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor. McClaren had looked set to miss out to Portugal manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, who was offered the post by the Football Association in April.

But when Scolari ruled himself out of contention McClaren, 45, became the FA's first choice.

Eriksson's current assistant has agreed a four-year deal starting on 1 August.

"This is the biggest honour that any coach can have, and is obviously the highlight of my career," he said.

"It's a massive challenge and one that I welcome. I have hugely enjoyed my time at Middlesbrough and am very grateful to the club.

"However, this was an opportunity I couldn't refuse.

"My immediate priority is next week's Uefa Cup Final with Boro, and then working with Sven and his coaching team to achieve success in Germany this summer, before I turn my thoughts to the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign."

McClaren made his way to London from his Yorkshire home earlier in the day and arrived at the FA's Soho Square headquarters at 1540 BST.

He was immediately rushed inside before an official announcement was made at 1620 BST.

McClaren has been involved with the England set-up on and off since becoming Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant at Manchester United.

His silverware during five years as team boss at the Riverside Stadium, however, has been limited to the Carling Cup two seasons ago, although he has led Boro to the Uefa Cup final this year.

Speculation over Eriksson's successor was rife when the Swede announced in January he would be stepping down from his role as England manager at the end of the World Cup.

Former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill was the initial bookmakers' favourite, while McClaren was not heavily fancied as Middlesbrough suffered heavy defeats to Arsenal and Aston Villa around the time of Eriksson's decision.

But after turning around Boro's fortunes, McClaren became the reported front-runner of a shortlist including Scolari, O'Neill, Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce to the extent that Boro started their search for a new manager.

But in a late change, reportedly instigated by Arsenal chairman David Dein in his role at the FA, Scolari was offered the post which he later rejected paving the way for McClaren to take over.

McClaren will be by Eriksson's side during this summer's World Cup in Germany and his reputation would be enhanced by a successful campaign.

However a disappointing tournament could place him under early pressure.

I don't see why there is the objection to McClaren being given the job.

Is he the best Englishman for the job? Yes.

Is he the most successful Englishman available? Yes.

Does he have experience of working alongside the best managers? Yes

Boro have beaten Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea this season - all comfortably too so he must be doing something right.

He's inspired Boro to two miraculous comebacks to reach the UEFA Cup final so his motivational abilities can not be called into question. and he knows the England set-up inside out.

The FA have made the right choice in my opinion.

I couldn't care less if he's English or not, I wanted Scholari and he would have been a much better choice.

You mention that Boro beat Chlesea, Arsenal and Man U this season, but they also lost 4-0 at home to Villa and 2-0 at home to Sunderland. ;)

I don't see why there is the objection to McClaren being given the job.

Is he the best Englishman for the job? Yes.

Maybe but so what!

Is he the most successful Englishman available? Yes.

Ditto!

Does he have experience of working alongside the best managers? Yes

Ditto, but nowhere near sufficient compensation for having actually been a successful manager

Boro have beaten Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea this season - all comfortably too so he must be doing something right.

What about the other years? Where have Middlesborough finished this season? Currently 13th, He's also had one the biggest budgets of all the mid-range teams, with that he should be finishing in the top 6/7/8 places

He's inspired Boro to two miraculous comebacks to reach the UEFA Cup final so his motivational abilities can not be called into question. and he knows the England set-up inside out.

Why did they need such monumental comebacks in the first place?

The FA have made the right choice in my opinion.

The best man for the job would have been Arsene Wenger IMO.

Wenger was offered the job and turned it down for god's sake.

i don't rate McClaren, but i'm just going to forget about it now cus there is nothing i can do. it won' t soften my support for the english team that is for sure.

I don't know what his current personal situation is but I really wanted to see Martin O'Neill get the job.

I like to be able to see some passion from a manager and whilst I appreciate that this isn't everything, Sven's touchline presence bores me to death - he displays very little or no emotion whatsoever. He probably saves all his passion for the bedroom olympics!

I think it'll be the same with Steve McClaren...ZzZzZzZzZzZz

Bit of a step down from Big Phil. McClaren has pulled off a miracle in getting Boro to a UEFA Cup final but they spend more time pi$$ing about in the lower half of the Premier.

The FA just want a yes man. He might do a good job but what an anti-climax.

great idea!!

give the manager to some one who has only been a manager for 5years!!!

not excited about this at all!!

don't really see how he has proved himself at all as a manager been at one club had big money to spend on players compare his record with MON!!

Mclaren - 1 league cup

1 European final

MON - 4 promotions

2league cups

4 spl titles

3 Scottish Cups

1 scottish league

1 UEFA cup final

The FA said they wanted the best man for the job IMO they haven't done this and instead failed badly!!!

think the FA bottled it and took the easy option!!

Just another thought on why Sir Stopwatch is happy with the appointment. He knows he can bully McClaren around i.e. you're not having X for the friendly cause he's tweaked his eyebrow!!!

A black day for english football,well I hope the people who wanted an English manager are happy now.This is farcical,this is my worst nightmare coming true,I'd rather have had a scottish manager than this jester.I hope he proves me wrong but I think it's remote.And even worse,is he's been at the sheepshaggers to make it even harder to swallow,sack the FA :angry:

Archived