Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

FM 2005 Progress Thread

Sounds like you pushed the board a bit too far- you better learn your lesson now!

A quick update on my game - after winning the first 2 gams of the season, I have subsequently failed to win any of the next 7 (or 8 if you include the away defeat to Colchester in the Carling Cup). My last game was away at Wigan (bottom of the table, while I was 17th) - went 1-0 up, then went 2-1 down, then came back and was leading 3-2 going into the last 5 minutes. Typically Wigan went 2-3-5 formation and got a last gasp equaliser in the 4th minute of stoppage time.

I am mightily pissed off with the game at the moment cos I'm doing so badly after my high expectations - although Milan Baros is a diamond up front - 5 goals in 9 Prem appearances.

I need to change my formation and tactics but I'm scared that it might make things worse. My defence needs sorting despite signing Jonathon Spector, Christanval, and Gabri recently. Gabri is brilliant though.

Any good goalie tips? I have Walker and Myhre and they are both disappointing me.

After winning the championship in the first season, I signed some quality players and I persuaded the board to give me £7.5 million and so I signed Alan Smith. I started the premiership season off really well and was comfortably second in about January and slowly slipped down to about 4th in March. I then went on a mass losing spree and ended up finishing 8th!

In pre season, I signed lots more quality players including Cudicini, Sorensen, Upson, Pires, Beattie, Gudjohnsen etc. and I was doing amazing in pre season - I won loads of Euro Vase games (Intertoto) as well as other friendly games. After finishing 8th the previous year, the board gave me £625K to spend and I was pretty pissed off. I kept pestering for some more dosh and the board were getting really annoyed and suddenly my job statue was insecure. When the premiership season started, I lost my first 3 games and then lost in the Euro Vase Final to Galatasaray, and was subsequentally sacked!

I then added myself as manager of Leicester again (who cares if its cheating! ;) and they gave me £2.2 million to spend! Why couldnt they just give me that in the first place? Anyway, I picked Leicester up of the ground and went on a winning run, beating Man United 3-0 in the process, and am now 8th after about 12 games.

47194[/snapback]

Well tbh, what do you expect?? With those signings you've probably busted the wage budget!! So obviously the board are going to restrict the money available for transfers..

i got fed up with my other game so ive started a new one

And im . . .. . .

Blackpool :huh:

5th at the mo played 9 won 5 drew 2 lost 2

Not too bad seen as Scott Taylor got injured in 1st game i moved to sign Mark Stallard for 3k from Barnsley he was playing very well untill he got cruciate ligament damage! ;)

So i was short on strikers again so i moved for Chris Greenacre for 16k.

He has scored 5 in 3 games what a start.

A few players i sugest you should sign are

Richie Wellens and Kiegan Parker

Great players

Got promoted through the play offs, was fairly hard though. Sustained quite a few injuries towards the end of the season, which saw me fall from just a few points off first position, to just scrambling 6th place. Key players retuned, beat Forest in semi finals, then beat Reading 3-2 in the final after extra time.

Currently pre season, purchased a few decent players so far, nothing special.

GK: Graham Stack

D: Dean Richards, Gresko

M: Smertin, Sunday Oliseh  :D

F: Jonathon Johansson, Nicola Ventola

40537[/snapback]

Just an update from this, I've played all my pre season games and ready for Birmingham at home, first game of the Premiership season.

Pre Season Games:

Plymouth 0-2 Leicester

Huddersfield 2-1 Leicester

Rushden 2-2 Leicester

Cardiff 0-0 Leicester

Notts County 0-2 Leicester

Leicester 1-0 Leverkusen

I've also made a few more signings. Managed to get Zenden on a free. I've also got Julius Aghahowa, depending on a work permit. Darren Purse and Jon Ostemobor are other signings I've made to back up the defence.

I was given a transfer budget of just 750k, however, the board have suddenly announced that they're giving me £9 million because of the state of the finances! :o I can't believe it, I didn't ask for it either, so I can hopefully get a few more quality players in.

46751[/snapback]

A further update on my game. ;)

I didn't get Aghahowa in the end because the Work Permit was refused. <_<

I had a terrible first half of the season. I couldn't decide on what tactics to use, and at one point lost about 8 games in a row. :mad:

After 20 games of the season gone, I had only obtained 12 points from 20 games, 8 points off safety. I was close to quitting the game then because nothing seemed to go right.

I then changed the tactics, and reverted to a normal 4-4-2. Before I had been using a 4-2-1-3, which was tight defensively, but poor going forward. The idea was that the two forward men on the wings would mark the opposition full backs to stop them coming forward. I had also tried different variations of 4-4-2, and 3-5-2, but nothing worked.

The change in tactics coincided with the January transfer window where I made some crucial signings. I needed to tighten up defensively because I was letting in very soft goals - Walker scored about 3 own goals in 20 games :S so I got Cudicini from Chelsea for 500k. I also drafted in Callum Davenport for 350k, and Darren Purse for 400k. They did an excellent job for me. Somehow I avoided relegation quite comfortably in the end. I finished with 36 points from 38 games, which was fantastic given I had only got 12 from 20 games earlier on!

I have already secured the signings of Olisadebe, Koller and Kily Gonzalez on free transfers, so hopefully with a new tactic sorted, I can push on for next season. :thumbup:

This was my regular starting XI:

Cudicini

Canero / Purse/ Davenport / Gresko

Zenden / Williams / Oliseh / J Gray

Ventola / Connolly

And im . . .. . .

Blackpool  :huh:

Not too bad seen as Scott Taylor got injured in 1st game i moved to sign Mark Stallard for 3k from Barnsley he was playing very well untill he got cruciate ligament damage! ;)

Great players

47363[/snapback]

Danny Coid ;)

And im . . .. . .

Blackpool  :huh:

Great players

47363[/snapback]

Danny Coid ;)

47977[/snapback]

O yeah forgot about him ;):unsure:

After finishing 4 th with Blackpool and losing to Swindon in the play off sem final 3-2 on agg. :mad:

I was gearing up for the season ahead . playoff's again are the target.I moved to bring in a few players not well known ones.

About 3 days off of the 1st game and i was geered up and ready for the game.When out of the Blue Plymouth offered me the job as manager of them.

So i accpeted and i only had 3 days to prepare for Pompey away (relegated team).I had a decent squad. Stevie Crawford was still there but unfortunately they had selt Capaldi to Leicester who were in the prem now.

I had 500 k to spend on new players.So, before the Pompey game i moved for Pablo Conuago and David Bentley on free transfers i also moved for Keigan Parker from Blackpool.I had no news of the signings before the game so i went into the game with no real understanding of the squad and little time to prepare.

I got a 2-2 draw at Fratton Park and i was very pleased with the point.We were 2-0 down at the 60th minute mark but i changed things around and we scored 2 in 5 minutes!

I now have 5 days until Burnley at home.Conuago is coming but Bentley rejected me so i moved for another Arsenal youngster Owusu.Not sure on the outcome of that yet.Keigan Parker is considering Personal terms after i agreed an £80k deal with Blackpool.But i now have a feel for the team and im ready for the game at home.

My computer's been fixed, so I'm playing on it again.

I bought in Luke Dimech as a defensive midfielder for my Lincoln team, and Stewart Talbot and Owen Morrison as Attacking midfielders.

Owen Morrison is shit-hot, as is Gary Taylor-Fletcher upfront, but Stewart Talbot plays excellently one match, and then shit the next.

I'm safely in the play-off spots, 1 point away from automatic promotion and 2 points away from the top after about 15 games.

I've also enojyed a good few slanging matches with Steve Evans (Boston manager), saying I really dislike him, and Brian Laws (S****horpe), saying the Scum will get relegated with him at the helm :)

About to finish my 4th season, heres some pics for ya

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/3.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/1.JPG (Gilberto from Arsenal)

48330[/snapback]

Quality stuff mate - you're doing really well. :thumbup:

Have you won any cups yet?

I'll give you an update on my game tomorrow, doing reasonably well in my 3rd season :)

48330[/snapback]

I'll give you an update on my game tomorrow, doing reasonably well in my 3rd season :)

48335[/snapback]

Unfortunately I only managed to finish 4th due to injuries and a fixture pile up.

I haven’t managed to win any cups yet but did get to the uefa cup final and lost to Barcelona 1-0 valdes u :wave:

some more pics

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/4.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/5.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/6.JPG

Baros had a awful season only managing 17 in 40 games, for some reason my team always looked dodgy away from home. The only positives I can take out of this are that my team never really got going but still managed to finish 4th and Stewart downing is awesome

If I get offered the man u job do u think I should take it?

48330[/snapback]

48335[/snapback]

Unfortunately I only managed to finish 4th due to injuries and a fixture pile up.

I haven’t managed to win any cups yet but did get to the uefa cup final and lost to Barcelona 1-0 valdes u :wave:

some more pics

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/4.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/5.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/bevan_patel/6.JPG

Baros had a awful season only managing 17 in 40 games, for some reason my team always looked dodgy away from home. The only positives I can take out of this are that my team never really got going but still managed to finish 4th and Stewart downing is awesome

If I get offered the man u job do u think I should take it?

48464[/snapback]

No! You've got a job to finish at City :wave:

Go to Man U - your reputation will improve no end, although there will be a higher level of expectation.

If you get offered ManU job on merit then you should be proud!

Go to Man U - your reputation will improve no end, although there will be a higher level of expectation.

48482[/snapback]

Forget what your msn addy was? :P

48482[/snapback]

48486[/snapback]

I created my hotmail addy when I was a childish schoolboy aged 15! :P Those were the days when glory-hunting ManU fans well all around me at the height of the United domination, when Fergie was an arrogant **** and they were always winning! A long time has passed since then! :D

48482[/snapback]

48486[/snapback]

I created my hotmail addy when I was a childish schoolboy aged 15! :P Those were the days when glory-hunting ManU fans well all around me at the height of the United domination, when Fergie was an arrogant **** and they were always winning! A long time has passed since then! :D

48496[/snapback]

I bet you still effing hate them seep down :P

I know I do! ;)

Alex - I notice you're at Warwick Uni - nice one! I was there until this summer too! Which year are you in, and what do you study? Enjoying it so far?

48173[/snapback]

I'm in my first year and it's been a mega fun first term.

My sister's in her third year, so I've been quite a few times before as well, including a fateful Top Banana when I was 16, and lots of purple sick over my sisters room in Rootes (when she was in her first year).

As for what I'm studying, I'm studying MORSE.

People I know in other years/halls say that the MORSE people they knew spent all evenings working, but I haven't found that yet, which is good :)

Warwick Uni=Good times.

As for Football Manager 2005, I haven't done that much more, but I'm still safely in the play offs.

Next match - Notts County (h).

48482[/snapback]

I didnt get offered the man u job in the end :(

but they decided to appoint GARY MEGSON :S:blink:lol :w00t:

48482[/snapback]

I didnt get offered the man u job in the end :(

but they decided to appoint GARY MEGSON :S:blink:lol :w00t:

48538[/snapback]

Haha lol

Alex - I notice you're at Warwick Uni - nice one! I was there until this summer too! Which year are you in, and what do you study? Enjoying it so far?

48173[/snapback]

I'm in my first year and it's been a mega fun first term.

My sister's in her third year, so I've been quite a few times before as well, including a fateful Top Banana when I was 16, and lots of purple sick over my sisters room in Rootes (when she was in her first year).

As for what I'm studying, I'm studying MORSE.

People I know in other years/halls say that the MORSE people they knew spent all evenings working, but I haven't found that yet, which is good :)

Warwick Uni=Good times.

48513[/snapback]

Sounds quality! I do miss the place, but life goes on. Top Banana is always a cracking night (I love my cheesy pop!) and you can't beat a good pint of purple!

I knew a few people that did MORSE in my year - they seemed the workaholic types too! I was in New Rootes (block O) during my first year too, had great fun. Enjoy the campus life while it lasts, although there'll be plenty more fun and games if you live in Leamington next year. :)

I've noticed that alot of crap managers get top jobs. Micky Adams is at Newcatsle on my go and Harry Redknapp is at Chelsea after Mourinho went to AC Milan.

I've finished my second season (first in the premiership) after getting to the FA Cup final and losing in my first season I didn't realise but I qualified for europe as the team I played got in to the Champions League!!

I got to The Uefa Cup final, won the League Cup and finished 4th in the league!!

I'd signed some decent players preparing me for my first season in the premiership and then after selling Counago for about £5 million the board gave me £12 million to spend!!! I blew it all on Kevin Kuranyi from Stuttgart and my god was he amazing.

He was the main reason I got so far in the UEFA Cup and finished 4th in the league. He scored 47 goals in all competitions, including 5 goals on his debut against Bolton!!

Anyway i've managed to sign Ewerthon from Dortmund, Januwolski (spelling), Deisler from Bayern Munich, Patri Passanen, Petit from Benfica

I've also signed Julio Baptista from Seville, he is amazing. Picked up SWP for £5 million aswell.

Getting ready for Champions League football next season.

Im Bradford. I'm continuing from my challenge game where i got sacked from Southampton.

I took over with 6 games left to go, whilst being 2 points from saftey, i kept them up with ease. Beint £2m i debt, i cleared the side out and got in Andy Kirk (14 goals in 22 games) and Tommy Wright (12 goals in 21 games) on free transfers to create a dynamite strikeforce in League One. Jim Magilton and Mark Wilson were also brought in to bolster the central midfield, and Andy Impey and Jon Spector would be signed to create a formidable right side partnership.

So far im in december, reached the 4th round of the Carling cup. Just about to play the 2nd round replay vs Bornemouth in the FA Cup, and im 9th in the league, with 4 points between us and 3rd spot :)

My only big worry is administration, the sooner i fall into it, the better, i can't be doing with us finishing 6th, then going into administration and being docked 9 points, meaning we stay in League One :( At the moment i've decided to play asif we're 9 points lower than we are, which would mean we're 17th. So i'd hope to improve on that.

Archived