Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FrankieWorthoYaggedMyWife

In Order to Gain Promotion......

Ok, so it looks a long way off at the minute but assuming Mandaric does take over long term he will be looking for promotion to the Premiership. How many of the current crop of players would be good enough to form part af a promotion winning squad.

Assuming we have a squad of 24 (3GK, 8DEF, 8MID, 5FOR) I would keep the ones in BOLD

N.B Lets be realistic bringing in 20 odd new players isn't gonna happen!!!!!

1. Rab Douglas

13. Paul Henderson (Decent enough back up)

25 Conrad Logan (Good young prospect)

2. Alan Maybury

3. Patrick Kisnorbo (Best defender at club)

4. Darren Kenton (Versatile, useful squad member)

5 Paddy McCarthy (Ok, rash, but still youngish, has some decent attributes)

14. Gareth McAuley (Impressive first season at this level)

15. Nils Eric Johannson

17. Richard Stearman (Quality on his day, still improving)

21. Alan Sheehan (adds balance as natural left back, please give him a chance)

6. Stephen Hughes (Still to produce the goods, but decent backup)

8. Gareth Williams (Best footballer at the club, wish he would show it more)

10. Andy Johnson

11. Danny Tiatto

16. Josh Low

20. James Wesolowski (Needs to stay fit, what a player if he can)

22. Momo Sylla

27. Levi Porter (Been impressive at times, decent prospect)

7. Iain Hume (Full of energy, quality)

12. Matty Fryatt (Short of confidence, will come good, again)

18 Elvis Hammond

19. Chris O'Grady

26. Louis Dodds (Needs a chance, could prove to be quality)

Have left ous Andy Welsh adn Mark De Vries due to loan deals and Academy players.

So to clarify, 1 new Goalkeeper, 2 Defender (1 RB/CB 1 LB), 4 Midfielders (2 RM, 1 CM, 1 LM) and 2 Forwards. Could be quite a busy summer if Milan gets his way and the takeover goes through!!!!

What is slightly more daunting is the fact that at least 4 of the positions mentioned need addressing in January!

Pretty much spot on there. The players that are not highlighted are definately not good enough to win us promotion and some that are would make decent backups (like Hughes, Fryatt, McAuley) but are not going to take us into the Premiership playing every week.

although far from my favourite player and i know he's a bit sh1t but i'd consider keeping tiatto just for the fact he has some premiership experience that may be useful for younger players. apart from andy johnson (who really is sh1t) who else could offer this...?

although far from my favourite player and i know he's a bit sh1t but i'd consider keeping tiatto just for the fact he has some premiership experience that may be useful for younger players. apart from andy johnson (who really is sh1t) who else could offer this...?

How can you be ar5ed logging in under different IDs?

I'd only be happy with about three players for a promotion push but if I had to produce a retained squad up to 24 maximum right now it would be:

Logan;

Stearman/

Sheehan/Mattock;

McAuley/Kisnorbo/McCarthy (reluctantly, but one would be replaced at least);

Gradel/Hammond

Hughes/King

Porter

Hume/Dodds/Fryatt (maybe)

That's 15. What an indictment.

It would mean nine new players minimum needed from Mr Mandaric.

There are also doubts about whether Dodds can make it at Championship level,

Sheehan's ability to stay fit and improve his defending and Stearman's willingness to improve instead of showboating.

In fact given completely free choice I'd probably only have wanted Logan, Stearman (if I could get his head out of the clouds), Mattock, Hammond, Porter, Hume and King with Dodds a probable but as yet unproven addition.

I would also want a longer look at Gradel. If Hughes was fit and prepared to drive forward as on Saturday he too would be an acceptable squad member but not if he went back into pass-the-buck mode.

That's a core of only 10 players with Odhiambo and Tejan-Sie perhaps tagged onto the end of the squad but they really are only developing yet.

For a major professional football club I wonder if it has ever been so bad? No wonder we are flirting with the worst League position we have ever known for a second in successive season.

Those to go would be:

Douglas (passed his sell-by date)

Henderson (too small/can't kick)

Maybury (some merit as a right-back but too little effect)

Nils (Too slow/too defensive)

Low (wouldn't get in the youth team)

Sylla (ditto)

Kenton (just defensive, forever injured)

Johnson (forever injured, nothing worth saying about his football)

Williams (Good player. Always injured)

Wesolowski (ditto)

Tiatto (Great character and personality. Always injured)

Welsh (Not enough effect. Doesn't want it enough)

Fryatt (Own worst enemy. Limited abilities for a striker).

Thirteen players!!!!!

But harsh though it may seem I have little doubt that those players would never enable me to win promotion for the reasons given.

What makes it worse is that 10 of those players would never have featured in any team of mine this season.

Such a shame about Williams and Weso though.

Logan

Kisnorbo

Stearman

McCarthy

Wesolowski

Hume

Fryatt

Porter

They are the only one's that i'd keep. I'm not including Dodds or any other academy player that hasn't played for us yet becuase although i've seen them plenty at youth and reserve level and have my opinions on them, until they play first team football it's too early to gauge whether they are good enough for this level, let alone the premiership.

I might be being harsh on the likes of McAuley, Nisse, Williams, Hughes, etc. But they struggle at this level at a club that is classed as being a strong outfit in this league. In a division where we're small fry, they'd be a laughing stock.

I'd only be happy with about three players for a promotion push but if I had to produce a retained squad up to 24 maximum right now it would be:

Logan;

Stearman/

Sheehan/Mattock;

McAuley/Kisnorbo/McCarthy (reluctantly, but one would be replaced at least);

Gradel/Hammond

Hughes/King

Porter

Hume/Dodds/Fryatt (maybe)

That's 15. What an indictment.

It would mean nine new players minimum needed from Mr Mandaric.

There are also doubts about whether Dodds can make it at Championship level,

Sheehan's ability to stay fit and improve his defending and Stearman's willingness to improve instead of showboating.

In fact given completely free choice I'd probably only have wanted Logan, Stearman (if I could get his head out of the clouds), Mattock, Hammond, Porter, Hume and King with Dodds a probable but as yet unproven addition.

I would also want a longer look at Gradel. If Hughes was fit and prepared to drive forward as on Saturday he too would be an acceptable squad member but not if he went back into pass-the-buck mode.

That's a core of only 10 players with Odhiambo and Tejan-Sie perhaps tagged onto the end of the squad but they really are only developing yet.

For a major professional football club I wonder if it has ever been so bad? No wonder we are flirting with the worst League position we have ever known for a second in successive season.

Those to go would be:

Douglas (passed his sell-by date)

Henderson (too small/can't kick)

Maybury (some merit as a right-back but too little effect)

Nils (Too slow/too defensive)

Low (wouldn't get in the youth team)

Sylla (ditto)

Kenton (just defensive, forever injured)

Johnson (forever injured, nothing worth saying about his football)

Williams (Good player. Always injured)

Wesolowski (ditto)

Tiatto (Great character and personality. Always injured)

Welsh (Not enough effect. Doesn't want it enough)

Fryatt (Own worst enemy. Limited abilities for a striker).

Thirteen players!!!!!

But harsh though it may seem I have little doubt that those players would never enable me to win promotion for the reasons given.

What makes it worse is that 10 of those players would never have featured in any team of mine this season.

Such a shame about Williams and Weso though.

How is Gareth Williams always injured you plank? He's had a bad for season granted but I'm willing to bet in the three years he's been here he's made over 75 apperances for us.

Weso is still far to young to release just becuase he has had a bad start to his career, it's not as if he's a major expense any way being a youth team product.

I think 2 odd seasons is more than enough to figure out whether or not these guys can ever produce the goods!

in order to gain promotion this season if i was a new manager i would keep;

logan

henderson

maybury

stearman

kenton

mcAuley

paddymac

kisnorbo

nissa

tiatto

sylla

hughes

williams

wesolowski

porter

hammond

fryatt

hume

ogrady

i would try to bring in three new players and would not play the same style and formation every single match.two midfielders and a striker.

i remember when o'niell came here he said other teams had sussed out how to beat mcghee's team because he played the same game plan almost every match and hardly ever varied it.

next season i would have a major shake up of the squad , some sales , loaned out , loaned in and some brought and one or two drafted from the youth set up at least.

Ok, so it looks a long way off at the minute but assuming Mandaric does take over long term he will be looking for promotion to the Premiership. How many of the current crop of players would be good enough to form part af a promotion winning squad.

Assuming we have a squad of 24 (3GK, 8DEF, 8MID, 5FOR) I would keep the ones in BOLD

N.B Lets be realistic bringing in 20 odd new players isn't gonna happen!!!!!

1. Rab Douglas

13. Paul Henderson (Decent enough back up)

25 Conrad Logan (Good young prospect)

2. Alan Maybury

3. Patrick Kisnorbo (Best defender at club)

4. Darren Kenton (Versatile, useful squad member)

5 Paddy McCarthy (Ok, rash, but still youngish, has some decent attributes)

14. Gareth McAuley (Impressive first season at this level)

15. Nils Eric Johannson

17. Richard Stearman (Quality on his day, still improving)

21. Alan Sheehan (adds balance as natural left back, please give him a chance)

10. Andy Johnson

11. Danny Tiatto

16. Josh Low

20. James Wesolowski (Needs to stay fit, what a player if he can)

22. Momo Sylla

27. Levi Porter (Been impressive at times, decent prospect)

7. Iain Hume (Full of energy, quality)

12. Matty Fryatt (Short of confidence, will come good, again)

18 Elvis Hammond

19. Chris O'Grady

26. Louis Dodds (Needs a chance, could prove to be quality)

Have left ous Andy Welsh adn Mark De Vries due to loan deals and Academy players.

So to clarify, 1 new Goalkeeper, 2 Defender (1 RB/CB 1 LB), 4 Midfielders (2 RM, 1 CM, 1 LM) and 2 Forwards. Could be quite a busy summer if Milan gets his way and the takeover goes through!!!!

What is slightly more daunting is the fact that at least 4 of the positions mentioned need addressing in January!

I would agree with that list however, think Alan Maybury is a valuable squad player. Him and Stearman link up well when playing together. He isn't particualry skillful or quick but he gets a job done.

To see the best of McCarthy he must play in a 3 man central defensive line up. He can be a little rash.

Like say Spencer Prior who was solid in a 3

How is Gareth Williams always injured you plank? He's had a bad for season granted but I'm willing to bet in the three years he's been here he's made over 75 apperances for us.

Weso is still far to young to release just becuase he has had a bad start to his career, it's not as if he's a major expense any way being a youth team product.

The cost of my pint is on the table.

The cost of my pint is on the table.

Well now iv'e looked it up it's comfortabley over 75 apperances.

Gareteh Williams. Leicester 01-07-2004 £ 500000 55 (15) 2 6 (0) 2 5 (0) 1 0 (0)

In English thats 55 (15) 70 league apperances, 2 goals.

6 in the FA cup totalling 76.

5 in the League cup totalling 81.

Xzbit (like the rapper \\I// ) A

The Swan and Rushes had better to do a nice pint of Carling Stella.

Go for the barber beer, it's £5 a pint and alot nicer!!!!! :thumbup:

The pint's in whenever you want to collect although I confess to misreading what you said - I thought you reckoned he'd make another 75 appearances for City. I think his ankle will be a continuing problem. I'd like it to be otherwise, same with Weso, but I don't believe it.

These are the only playes worth keeping. I've stuck with the goalkeepers because they are just about good enough for this level. So we'll probably need at least 12-15 outfield players to make a decent squad.

Paul Henderson

Conrad Logan

Patrick Kisnorbo

Richard Stearman

Gareth Williams

James Wesolowski

Levi Porter

Iain Hume.

Mark De Vries !

Archived