Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

There are restrictions in relation to sound levels, though the Elton John gig was 15,000 people I believe. They have the Queen musical, We Will Rock You, booked for this summer, which also has permission for 15,000, though tickets aren't selling that fast. The Mamma Mia concert last year was only 1500, so no worries about ticket sales and noise levels with that one. It's a competitive environment trying to book these acts. 

Of course we are sure to make a profit for the 2020 season, with the extra money from the ECB for The 100. What the collateral damage of that will be to the 18 counties we don't know yet.

Kent's St Lawerence ground actually has residential housing in the ground, including retirement flats, but around the ground it is less hemmed in by dense housing like Grace Road. They have generated quite a bit of income this way and by allowing a Sainsbury's Local to be built in the ground. It's still a struggle though as it is for every county outside the test match venues - just look at the profit Warwickshire made last year.

It's a very thin squad, a lot of pressure on Dexter, Cosgrove, Ackermann and Horton as the experienced batsmen. Ali, Evans, Deaden, Hill and Javid are all young or unproven still. Aron Lilley I'm guessing may play all formats, slotting in at 7 or 8 in the championship. On paper it looks like they need another bat, don't think the money is there though. Hasan Azad seems to have been training with them, so maybe he will do well enough to earn a contract.

I can't remember a weaker side since I've been following, which is about 1979. Hopefully, some of the young bowlers like Mike, Taylor and Davis will blossom.

Agreed. Hasan Azad is a decent player better than some. Very lightweight in the batting. 

I think the seam attack looks ok, Abbas, Griffiths, Mike and Chris Wright is not bad. Tom Taylor and Will Davis plus Dexter as a back up. I reckon that is a better seam attack than we have had for a while. When did we go into a season with the best Seamer in the league before? Abbas is certainly that. 

17 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

It's a very thin squad, a lot of pressure on Dexter, Cosgrove, Ackermann and Horton as the experienced batsmen. Ali, Evans, Deaden, Hill and Javid are all young or unproven still. Aron Lilley I'm guessing may play all formats, slotting in at 7 or 8 in the championship. On paper it looks like they need another bat, don't think the money is there though. Hasan Azad seems to have been training with them, so maybe he will do well enough to earn a contract.

I can't remember a weaker side since I've been following, which is about 1979. Hopefully, some of the young bowlers like Mike, Taylor and Davis will blossom.

Disagree with your last point in Abbas Wright Griffiths and the promising Mike we have a very strong bowling line up compare that to the bowling attack from 2013-14 Alex Wyatt Charlie Shrek Robbie Williams Charlie Shrek Anthony Ireland Ollie Freckingham  and a batting line up that inc the likes of Boyce Smith Cobb no wonder they never won a game for almost 3 seasons

1 minute ago, everton carr said:

Disagree with your last point in Abbas Wright Griffiths and the promising Mike we have a very strong bowling line up compare that to the bowling attack from 2013-14 Alex Wyatt Charlie Shrek Robbie Williams Charlie Shrek Anthony Ireland Ollie Freckingham  and a batting line up that inc the likes of Boyce Smith Cobb no wonder they never won a game for almost 3 seasons

Charlie was that good I named him twice?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, everton carr said:

Yes that was a horrendous squad, though I think we also had Buck, Henderson, Hoggard, Naik in 2013 if memory is correct. They would have done much better with Nicko and Mason coaching them, who have made a massive difference. Cobb, Smith and Boyce, well i think I'd take them over Ali, Dearden, Javid and Hill who average 26, 20, 22 and 23 in FC cricket respectively. Cobb had an astonishing start to his career, but he has never had his talent managed properly.

I have high hopes that everything will go right this season and that we will look back on some great young players that have developed (Davis, Taylor, Swindells, Mike). However, it could also be that Horton, Dexter and Cossie are past it and contribute little. That the young players don't kick on. Abbas gets called up for the World Cup and we don't adequately replace him. Chis Wright turns out to be another injury prone fast bowler who hardly plays (like Richard Jones). We also need to replace Ben Raine's wickets and some of his match-winning performances with the bat in t20 cricket. 

12 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Yes that was a horrendous squad, though I think we also had Buck, Henderson, Hoggard, Naik in 2013 if memory is correct. They would have done much better with Nicko and Mason coaching them, who have made a massive difference. Cobb, Smith and Boyce, well i think I'd take them over Ali, Dearden, Javid and Hill who average 26, 20, 22 and 23 in FC cricket respectively. Cobb had an astonishing start to his career, but he has never had his talent managed properly.

I have high hopes that everything will go right this season and that we will look back on some great young players that have developed (Davis, Taylor, Swindells, Mike). However, it could also be that Horton, Dexter and Cossie are past it and contribute little. That the young players don't kick on. Abbas gets called up for the World Cup and we don't adequately replace him. Chis Wright turns out to be another injury prone fast bowler who hardly plays (like Richard Jones). We also need to replace Ben Raine's wickets and some of his match-winning performances with the bat in t20 cricket. 

Smith Cobb and Boyce all had or have in Cobbs  case batting averages well under 30 Buck apart from 2010 was poor never rated Naik that much and Hoggard and Henderson were past there best at that stage agree Raine will be a huge loss

We had Whitticase in charge for years, he was awful. Some of those players could have been better under the current coaching setup, but that's obviously wishful thinking. Hopeful Mason can continue his good work with the bowlers this season.

36 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

We had Whitticase in charge for years, he was awful. Some of those players could have been better under the current coaching setup, but that's obviously wishful thinking. Hopeful Mason can continue his good work with the bowlers this season.

Agree about Whitticase nice guy though?

Derby and Durham have just signed their T20 players ( Kane Richardson and D’Arcy Short) for this season. Feels like we are being left behind in this format.  

Maybe Nico will turn Dearden into an explosive opener like we did with Josh Cobb. Cobby was middle-order pants initially. Slow, watchful push prod poke, out for 3 off 44 balls. Until someone converted him into an aggressive boundary hunter. 

Step up Sir Harold Dearden ....... 

30 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Just had a look not bad in List A and T20 but only averages 26 in first class cricket

31 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Just had a look not bad in List A and T20 but only averages 26 in first class cricket

Yep that's an issue although played alot of division 1 cricket plus opens. Not sure we will add at all to be honest. 

Sadly we are paying for mistakes of previous seasons now. With a loss of £300k last year resources are tight. If you look at the estimated cost of Carberry and Pettini, along with having a deputy chief executive, I would guess that amounts to expenditure of about £210k last year which was pretty much wasted. And in Jones, who contributed so little for the length of his contract, that's another £40k or so. I know his problem was injury, but I think he had a prior record of injury before we signed him. Sure some recruitment mistakes will be made, it is not a perfect science, but decision making has to be better.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Sadly we are paying for mistakes of previous seasons now. With a loss of £300k last year resources are tight. If you look at the estimated cost of Carberry and Pettini, along with having a deputy chief executive, I would guess that amounts to expenditure of about £210k last year which was pretty much wasted. And in Jones, who contributed so little for the length of his contract, that's another £40k or so. I know his problem was injury, but I think he had a prior record of injury before we signed him. Sure some recruitment mistakes will be made, it is not a perfect science, but decision making has to be better.

The figures are worse then that Khan was on 100k plus Pettini around 60k a year Carberry more the that plus he recieved a big pay off as well.Jones was at the club 3 years so that's a waste of around £120k over the length of is contract.Plus the likes of Piper PDB and Wayne White who left after a year into a 4 year contract all recieved decent pay offs as well.No wonder there skint

• Sad 1

In Nicko's interview on youtube, he was a bit vague about an overseas t20 player being signed. Instead he mentions that funds are tight, there will be opportunities for academy players to break through and bigged up the development of players like Ben Mike over the winter. He's talking about it as a long term project with more funds hopefully available next season.

• Like 1

I'm happy with that

Rather see young players play and struggle at times than has been on big wages fail all the time! Or worse never play!

I think the seam attack is decent. 

Edited by Cake