Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Flexx

Mark De Vries

Yes or No  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Should he start vs Blackpool?

• Yes
    • No

It's quite funny to type "Vries" [contained in topic title only] into the search engine on the LCFC forum.

I can't believe after all this time that we're still arguing over de Vries AND Sheehan is still here.

It makes me reflect on past times when praise has been lavished (rightly or wrongly, at the time) on the likes of Stephen Hughes, Joey Gudjonsson and even Josh Low after a couple of cameos at the start of last season. Just a couple of months ago you could never have predicted de Vries would be favourite among fans to start up front in the first game of this season.

I wonder what the new season holds. I bet Thracian will be banging on about Hammond and Porter fairly regularly unless we're winning every game, scoring three or four goals in the process. The de Vries argument will continue all season. Perhaps DJ Campbell will get a load of abuse off the moaning old gits that can't abide the Huuuuuume chant for being similarly hard-working without being Thierry Henry. At no point will anyone think Stephen Hughes is ever the answer if we have problems in midfield.

What about Fryatt? He's in real limbo at the moment. A couple of weeks ago we were all arguing over whether he should start up front for us this season but he will start the season as fourth-choice striker. Incredible really.

The beauty of it is that we will just have to wait and see.

I don't think he's scored any other than that, it's just been his general contribution to the team. He's weighed in with a few assists which are just as important as goals at times :dunno:

It's his attitude above all that's impressed us all, the way he's battling back to claim a place in our improving side.

Sure fair play to him, but he really isn't that good.

People seem to be wanting him to play because he's trying hard, oh well I suppose when he's playing rubbish game in game out (if he is to start) people will soon realise and get annoyed. Fickletallity at it's best :cool: . Anyway I would play DJ and Hume, and have Fryatt on the bench.

Or Hume left wing with DJ and Fryatt up front. Not sure if that would work though.

People seem to be wanting him to play because he's trying hard, oh well I suppose when he's playing rubbish game in game out (if he is to start) people will soon realise and get annoyed. Fickletallity at it's best :cool: . Anyway I would play DJ and Hume, and have Fryatt on the bench.

Or Hume left wing with DJ and Fryatt up front. Not sure if that would work though.

You only like his warmdown.

I watched the Notts County and Portsmouth games, not the largest chunk of pre-season action by any means, yet he performed well in both and unselfishly provided two assists for Hume during the course of these games (amongst other chances that were spurned.)Campbell on the other hand, needs to prove himself, I found yesterday that he was guilty of taking chances on far too early, I don't know if anyone shares that view? Campbell's goals last season were scored thanks to better service than we can offer, MDV mk I's ten goals scored with poorer service, perhaps that is significant?

Now, I would put it to Foxestalk that the MDV mk II doubters either; a) Haven't watched MDV mk II during pre season or b) Don't know anything about football.

As Cobbo has previously mentioned, football is a team game, and MDV mk II rarely looks to take a shot on lest he has no better option. His touch with his back to goal is perhaps of the finest I have seen at this level, if only his passing wasn't as affected (as it clearly is) by his low confidence levels. Do you know why that is? It's those b)'s verbally buggering him. I know there are some other people that have never given him a hard time, and for us it is heartily pleasing that he is back and ready to re-write history.

MDV - THE REBIRTH

It's quite funny to type "Vries" [contained in topic title only] into the search engine on the LCFC forum.

I can't believe after all this time that we're still arguing over de Vries AND Sheehan is still here.

It makes me reflect on past times when praise has been lavished (rightly or wrongly, at the time) on the likes of Stephen Hughes, Joey Gudjonsson and even Josh Low after a couple of cameos at the start of last season. Just a couple of months ago you could never have predicted de Vries would be favourite among fans to start up front in the first game of this season.

I wonder what the new season holds. I bet Thracian will be banging on about Hammond and Porter fairly regularly unless we're winning every game, scoring three or four goals in the process. The de Vries argument will continue all season. Perhaps DJ Campbell will get a load of abuse off the moaning old gits that can't abide the Huuuuuume chant for being similarly hard-working without being Thierry Henry. At no point will anyone think Stephen Hughes is ever the answer if we have problems in midfield.

What about Fryatt? He's in real limbo at the moment. A couple of weeks ago we were all arguing over whether he should start up front for us this season but he will start the season as fourth-choice striker. Incredible really.

The beauty of it is that we will just have to wait and see.

I've actually said very little about Porter or Hammond. My views haven't changed about either player but our standards and expectations have and all I've done is tried to be fair to everyone and to largely ignore what's happened before.

Having said Fryatt never deserved a starting place last season I've quite happily seen that he looks much sharper now and would have a case alongside anyone apart from Hume for a starting place.

But who is finally chosen depends on how MA intends to tackle the task of winning. Yes I would attack and I think he will. From day one. We have good passers who are fit enough to close a team down high up the pitch and who are capable between them of breaking down any defence - as Portsmouth saw yesterday even with only moderate attacking commitment from us overall.

Defensively I don't think we're good enough to average less 1.25 goals a game conceded anyway - which means we have to aim to score around 1.75 goals or the target I've mentioned of 80 goals for the season which means we'll have to attack.

That means us needing to play seven potential scorers in all home games and at least 5/6 in away games, depending how good they are individually.

Sheehan, unless there is a previously unmentioned attacking left-back out there waiting to join us, is likely to have an important role to play. He has already made two goals in pre-season - about the same as Nils managed all season and I expect that would continue. And that contribution will be especially valuable if we fail to sign/use goalscoring/goalmaking wingers.

Whatever fans might then about this player being good and that player awful, it is all about numbers really. Some players hit the targets required. Others don't.

And the Mark DeVries of Hearts days was a very effective contributor. As was the Sheehan of two years ago when he was forever playing a part in movements that led to goals...and scoring one or two as well.

Maybe on the bench. Surely can't start him when you've got Hume who has had a good pre-season & worked his socks of last season & will undoubtedly do the same this time & I don't think we signed DJ for all that money just for him to sit on the bench. De Vries should get his chance though at some point. :thumbup:

I wouldn't have him in if it was down to me... However... Hume cannot play together with campbell all game because they are the sam height and sam sort of player, so if De Vries was to play then I suppose he would start and then sub him at half-time maybe ??

So how does that give you the right to comment on if he should or shouldn't play?

So, anyone who hasn't seen any meaningless friendlies has no right to comment on who should or shouldn't play? Sorry but I couldn't give a fook about De Vries' performances against the likes of Hinkley, Quorn etc. The fact remains that he has played more minutes in the friendlies than either Fryatt and Campbell, but still only has 1 goal. We've seen De Vries miss bucket loads in this division before and look like a donkey more often than not, so the fact that he's played well against non-league opposition doesn't fill me with any confidence. And before anyone mentions the game v Portsmout, I'll point out that he played a blinder against Spurs but was still rubbish thereafter. He'll have to play well on a consistent basis in this division (and score his chances when he gets them) before I welcome De Vries back with open arms. Hard work doesn't mean a lot to me - that's the minimum required in my book.

To be fair it has seemed Hume has been the only striker scoring consistently. De Vries, Odhiambo and Fryatt all with one each.

With De Vries having more game time than either Fryatt or Campbell in the friendlies.

MDV. Good control of the ball on occassion. Poor striker of the ball for this level. He is not good enough. He's had endless chances. Get rid and move on. Stop giving him the chance to disappoint us. Great work rate, nice bloke and now and again has a few moments when he shines. The only regular and consistent points he will score will be at weight watchers.

I feel the same about all the strikers bar Hume and DJ. Fryatt I am prepared to give him one more season and if Cort is going to be rarely fit, he ain't gona be sharp.

This sounds harsh but I've watched six consecutive seasons of bollox and want new blood.

How ever which way I look at it, we have three short strikers well, 2.5 and not a big man in sight.

Sorry but its how I feel.

MDV. Good control of the ball on occassion. Poor striker of the ball for this level. He is not good enough. He's had endless chances. Get rid and move on. Stop giving him the chance to disappoint us. Great work rate, nice bloke and now and again has a few moments when he shines. The only regular and consistent points he will score will be at weight watchers.

I feel the same about all the strikers bar Hume and DJ. Fryatt I am prepared to give him one more season and if Cort is going to be rarely fit, he ain't gona be sharp.

This sounds harsh but I've watched six consecutive seasons of bollox and want new blood.

How ever which way I look at it, we have three short strikers well, 2.5 and not a big man in sight.

Sorry but its how I feel.

:blink: I didn't know getting promoted was "bollox"

:blink: I didn't know getting promoted was "bollox"

Well it is.

Fair point Stevo, well done for noticing the mistake. Extra sweets for you at break-time. Good lad.

But FFS it feels like I've been watching bollox strikers for a lifetime.

I just think if we shot all the strikers in the face except Hume, DJ and Fryatt, we'de have a better sense of where we really are. Which is without a reliable big man.

I am stealing this word.

As you were.

Almost comes across on here that some people want him to be crap.

The lad must have lost 2 or 3 stone, his touch looked good and link up play was excellent yesterday.

Another thing is that he hasn't played in a good side here, so the supply he has been getting in the past was poor.

Give the lad a break he deserves his chance.

The lad must have lost 2 or 3 stone, his touch looked good and link up play was excellent yesterday.

Another thing is that he hasn't played in a good side here, so the supply he has been getting in the past was poor.

He had a chance.

Oh I give up, he's not good enough.

I understand your point.

In my assessment he has had his chance.

He is not good enough.

I agree he played very well yesterday.

I just don't want to start the season relying on him.

He had a chance.

Oh I give up, he's not good enough.

Good enough for what though?

He only has to be good enough to perform in this league and that means creating and scoring goals, which has shown previously, in a team that wasn't good enough for this league and recently that he can.

The other question is, is he the best choice out of those on the books to provide the apprpriate contribution to the team? Allen seems to think yes and so far he's not let him down.

Given the choice of all the Championship strikers, there's obviously better options unfortuntely they don't play for us. While he's on our books and available he seems to me to be the best option to play along side Hume, that doesn't make him a great player just the best choice at this time.

He only has to be good enough to perform in this league and that means creating and scoring goals, which has shown previously, in a team that wasn't good enough for this league and recently that he can.

The other question is, is he the best choice out of those on the books to provide the apprpriate contribution to the team? Allen seems to think yes and so far he's not let him down.

Given the choice of all the Championship strikers, there's obviously better options unfortuntely they don't play for us. While he's on our books and available he seems to me to be the best option to play along side Hume, that doesn't make him a great player just the best choice at this time.

I agree.

It's just that I want another choice at this time.

I'd rather play campbell or fryatt ahead of De Vries.

Sure De Vries can hold the ball up and turn a man.

We'll be hoofing it to him all the time.

I'd rather have campbell and hume, pace up front making runs all over the place. I jsut think that would be a better option.

Plus the fact ive seen de vries is poor at shooting.

I understand your point.

In my assessment he has had his chance.

He is not good enough.

I agree he played very well yesterday.

I just don't want to start the season relying on him.

He has had less of a chance than some others though. Who in the time under levien were just as bad, if not worse.

So be it mate, I'd be happy to feel stupid if it means Leicester doing well due to De Vries and certain players from last season!

Win win situation for us doubters, We're slagging him off saying he shouldn't play if he does and he's rubbish we can say we told you so, If he plays and turns out good we'll be happy because in theory if he's doing well Leicester will be doing well.

Yeah mate, it is a good situation for us. In a way I'm glad there are some doubters as needs to have something to motivate him further.

I know he isnt a world beater but i think he can do a job if given the chance.

We'll be hoofing it to him all the time.

Probably my biggest worry. Although you'd hope that Allen's tactics wouldn't revolve around De Vries. That said if Blackpool frustrate us it would be easy for the team to slip into hoofball.

I'd start Campbell and Hume. Use De Vries as an impact subsitute if necessary.

Archived