Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Just knocked out a nice 4 miles despite being ridiculously humid.

Got a course record on a strava section near my house.

Thinking of doing men's health survival of fittest notts 5th October then Leicester half 25th October

Didn't check the dates when I signed up and now I'm doing the Great North Run the week after another half marathon! https://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Hardy08080808 all for a good cause though.

You'll be in top shape though.

I did the notts and Leicester halves within a couple of weeks of another a good 10 years ago and I found I could keep the fitness levels up well in between.I'm sure you won't need any advice not to overdo the mileage inbetween.

• 2 weeks later...

Signing up for the Leicester marathon this week. It will be my first full marathon, having done about 7 or 8 half marathons over the past 15 years or so.

Anyone have any experience of doing this in previous years? The course seems fairly flat apart from uphill drag for the last mile.

Did it last year for the first time.

I loved it, such a special feeling to be doing such a great achievement in our home city :)

Some of the miles in the middle are a bit tedious when you're out in the countryside, but the last mile in town is incredible, lots of support.

• 1 month later...

thought it best to ask here than create a new thread. I have bought an exersize bike. managed 17km in 44 minutes the other day but just wondering if there are any spin challenges or training regimes online that i should follow? 

the other half uses her slimming world body magic thing and it gives her challenges like "go around central park" and longer ones. didnt know if there was one for non slimming world people. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ran 19 miles yesterday as part of my training for the leicester marathon, the last 2 miles my legs where in absolute bits, not sure where these extra 7 miles are going to come from.

I'm on week 15 now of a 20 week plan, to be honest I can't wait until its all over and done with now! I'm quickly falling out of love with running haha

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfully I got my 'You didn't get in the London Marathon ballot' magazine yesterday. I'm still broken from this years!

Anyone (un)lucky enough to have gotten in?

I haven't received a rejection or a place either. I assume it's going to be a rejection however. 

Really enjoyed the Great North Run, but the amount of people there really does make it a different matter altogether, i'm guessing with the London Marathon it's a little condensed because, although there's more participants, it's double the distance?

Haven't received notification either way for London yet. Either way I need to up my training. I've been concentrating on my turbo trainer HIIT just lately to shed a few pounds but I know I need to up the distance in my trainers

Haven't received notification either way for London yet. Either way I need to up my training. I've been concentrating on my turbo trainer HIIT just lately to shed a few pounds but I know I need to up the distance in my trainers

Still waiting for the London rejection/acceptance myself, I've decided to cut distances for a while after the Robin Hood HM last week because of some minor injuries but if I'm accepted that'll have to change.

Started running about 6 months ago. Took an elbow to the ribs at footy and have not been able to run for 4 weeks. Gutted, all that training and now back to the start. Have been volunteering at Park Run every Sat morning while trying to heal. Should be back to running next week. That first one is going to be tough!

Still waiting to hear, next up for me is the Donnington half marathon which takes place around the race track.

Most people I know say Donnington is an awful boring Half, I did Silverstone and it was crap so I'll not enter a racetrack based half again. Rejected for London so I'm pretty happy.

Train properly this time you tw@

I followed the schedule as best as I could but it broke me. I've got a trainer on the case this year to tailor it to more cardio and less running to help with my shins.

I'm somehow it worse shape than when I started last year so this could be interesting!!!

I followed the schedule as best as I could but it broke me. I've got a trainer on the case this year to tailor it to more cardio and less running to help with my shins.

I'm somehow it worse shape than when I started last year so this could be interesting!!!

Seriously though you do need to put the training in but sensibly so that you don't breakdown, good luck with it

Archived