Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

I have always wonder what runners do after they completed London marathon- it is one of the ultimate highs for any runners to complete it so where do runners who did London marathon go next? 

I have always wonder what runners do after they completed London marathon- it is one of the ultimate highs for any runners to complete it so where do runners who did London marathon go next?

Burger King. I went to Burger King.

Just managed a 7 1/2 mile run when I set out to do about 5. Can't begin to imagine how much pain you must have been in doing the marathon. Did you get a place in the ballot Smuts?

I got my place last year through charity. I'll be applying again this year through the ballot and charities as well.

Saying that I won't be hugely disappointed if I don't get in!

Play a lot of football but as a keeper have never really needed to be all that fit. I've become affectionately known for my terrible fitness in drills and decided it would be no bad thing to try my hand at running as a hobby. I'm not overweight or anything, just always had poor levels of fitness.

I've been doing the same 2 mile run since March once per week and have shaved my time down from 19 minutes to around the 17 minute mark. Did a 16:36 a few weeks ago which encouraged me to pluck up the courage to go beyond the 2 mile comfort zone and I did a 4 mile run last week. Managed to do it in 35:55, so pretty much 9 minute miles. 

No idea if that's good, bad, average or what, but I'm just glad to run a fair distance and not stop. Targeting a 10k before Summer's end.

Play a lot of football but as a keeper have never really needed to be all that fit. I've become affectionately known for my terrible fitness in drills and decided it would be no bad thing to try my hand at running as a hobby. I'm not overweight or anything, just always had poor levels of fitness.

I've been doing the same 2 mile run since March once per week and have shaved my time down from 19 minutes to around the 17 minute mark. Did a 16:36 a few weeks ago which encouraged me to pluck up the courage to go beyond the 2 mile comfort zone and I did a 4 mile run last week. Managed to do it in 35:55, so pretty much 9 minute miles.

No idea if that's good, bad, average or what, but I'm just glad to run a fair distance and not stop. Targeting a 10k before Summer's end.

9 minute miles are decent enough but if I was you I would try to go a bit slower but further. I tend to find the first few miles are normally the toughest and then it gets harder to turn round and go home.

:knockyhtnice: tadders is the other syston_fox!

You bloody Syston Foxes and your names. That did strike me as odd for Tadders!! 

Entered the ballot as well. I haven't really ran much since I did London a couple of years ago. Got a couple of half marathons lined up though for September and October. Back on the horse.

You've not seen me recently but I'm in horrendous shape and I made it round in one piece. With your track record with running that'll be a doddle for you.

Considering doing the Leicester full marathon this year, managed the Leicester half last year and the Silverstone half earlier this year, I normally do around 12 weeks training before each event.

I know it sounds daft but is there much of a difference between the 2 distances? Obviously it's double but I normally get in a rythem from about mile 8 and could properly keep going after the half marathon mark I have just never tried.

How many weeks do people train before a full marathon too?

I'm considering running the TR24 next year as a single runner, this year I am in a team of 8 doing it as a relay so will probably do 40km. 24 hours of running around a 10km course sounds like a challenge to me but I'm not sure what distance to target for it, I think I'll need to budget around 6 hours for breaks, food etc so maybe 180km?

Edit: rereading that I'm already thinking of lowering the target distance.

Considering doing the Leicester full marathon this year, managed the Leicester half last year and the Silverstone half earlier this year, I normally do around 12 weeks training before each event.

I know it sounds daft but is there much of a difference between the 2 distances? Obviously it's double but I normally get in a rythem from about mile 8 and could properly keep going after the half marathon mark I have just never tried.

How many weeks do people train before a full marathon too?

When I did Leicester I started training in February for the October start. Did my 20 mile run two weeks before then tapered off. Was doing constant 13-15 miles on a weekly basis in May.

To give you an idea on training.

Since then I have suffered two serious knee injuries and just started training again. Ran 3 miles today. Difficult. But it's all about getting the miles in here early doors

For me ; literally just give it a go one evening and no matter how far or fast you run don't worry about it. The hardest thing to do is go out and do it. Once you do it the next time you will find it easier. No problems

I'm unfit and overweight, and could do with changing this. How do I get into running without going into cardiac arrest?

Just do what I did - Go out and do what feels like a reasonable pace for you.

Few things to guarantee:

- It will hurt

- You'll be slow

- Sweat

- Disappointment

BUT a few things you'll have gained:

- A benchmark

- Motivation to do better

- That burning feeling when you recover that reminds you it was worth it

Literally just a case of putting on a pair of running shoes, getting a benchmark no matter how fast that is - just as long as you do it, and trying to improve on it slowly and then moving the goalposts when you get comfortable again.

The way I've done it is by starting off with a 2 mile jog and over a couple of months shaving a bit of time off each week until I felt I was pretty much at my limit in terms of doing that distance at a good pace. Repeated that pace again for a few weeks and now I've doubled the distance. Still adjusting at the moment but I certainly wouldn't have been doing 4 miles at this pace a few months ago even though it feels like I'm nothing like used to it yet.

I'm unfit and overweight, and could do with changing this. How do I get into running without going into cardiac arrest?

Good shoes. I recommend Brooks Glycerin, especially for us heavier types. Go slow, don't worry about pace, just try to keep moving. The hardest part is just getting out the door.

I'm considering running the TR24 next year as a single runner, this year I am in a team of 8 doing it as a relay so will probably do 40km. 24 hours of running around a 10km course sounds like a challenge to me but I'm not sure what distance to target for it, I think I'll need to budget around 6 hours for breaks, food etc so maybe 180km?

Edit: rereading that I'm already thinking of lowering the target distance.

Mad man!

Look at doing the math. If you work on say 11 mins a mile and are expecting to run for 18 hours. Your at 98 miles. Be realistic and round down to 90 miles or 145km.

Under budget over achieve

Archived