Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Mad man!

Look at doing the math. If you work on say 11 mins a mile and are expecting to run for 18 hours. Your at 98 miles. Be realistic and round down to 90 miles or 145km.

Under budget over achieve

I'm going to see what our running club members manage this year in singles and see how I get on in the 8 as well, I think that about 120k is more realistic to be honest, it's still a massive distance in 24 hours.

Im still running. My first run was with my mate on approx a 3 mile run which took 39 mins. Ive been running around Glenfield for last couple of weeks and now im going to do the 3 mile run with my mate again. See if i can improve on 39 mins. Will keep you guys posted

I'm going to see what our running club members manage this year in singles and see how I get on in the 8 as well, I think that about 120k is more realistic to be honest, it's still a massive distance in 24 hours.

Ludicrous distance. Must be mad!

It really makes me happy to see this thread so active. I only started running regularly last year but Oh my God is it now one of my greatest passions.

Excellent jobs in London guys & girls. If I wasn't reluctant to pay £80 to enter the ballot as a runner abroad, I would have definitely been in there looking to run next year. It's one for the future for sure.

Meanwhile, I ran in the first Kielce Half Marathon on Sunday and managed to get round in 1:33. Quite happy with that as it's 11 minutes faster than my previous HM in Cardiff two years ago.

A cute little medal for finishing.

11227532_10152898154771267_5762251041347

I have a marathon booked in June which is a bit different because it's at night, with a start time of 9pm. It's gonna be a really interesting challenge to deal with running so late; when to eat, when to sleep beforehand, how to conserve energy throughout the day, etc. It also means an 8 hour train ride (the day before & after) from where I live so that's another factor to think about.

I'm unfit and overweight, and could do with changing this. How do I get into running without going into cardiac arrest?

When i used to go Gym i started off on the 30 minute treadmill challenge.

On a treadmill start off by walking for 5 minutes then jog for 2 minutes. Totalling 7 minutes.

Do that 4 times with a 2 minute cool down period at the end brings you to half an hour. Repeat this 5 times a week.

after the first week you should start to find it easier to complete the 5 minute 2 minute system. At this point change it to 4 minute walk 3 minute jog and once again once that is easy 3 minute walk 4 minute jog until eventually you should be doing 2 minute walk 5 minute jog.

I did this and it took me 6 weeks to get to the 2 minute walk 5 minute jog. At this point you should have caught the exercise bug and started noticing the weight come off (providing you stick to a good diet which is the most important). Dont stop there though. Now you are jogging more than walking start to introduce an increased speed turning your jog into more of a run or when walking make it a fast walk. Use a slight incline aswel to really get your legs burning.

At the moment for me ive just started jogging around Glenfield to try and get the exercise bug again. I cant afford a gym membership atm but once ive settled some bills i will rejoin and get on the 30 minute challenge again. Its all about getting that mentality. you start exercising you will naturally start to think about what sort of food to eat. The hardest part is going for that first run. Ive been on it for 3 weeks now and starting to enjoy it.

Good luck :thumbup:

When i used to go Gym i started off on the 30 minute treadmill challenge.

On a treadmill start off by walking for 5 minutes then jog for 2 minutes. Totalling 7 minutes.

Do that 4 times with a 2 minute cool down period at the end brings you to half an hour. Repeat this 5 times a week.

after the first week you should start to find it easier to complete the 5 minute 2 minute system. At this point change it to 4 minute walk 3 minute jog and once again once that is easy 3 minute walk 4 minute jog until eventually you should be doing 2 minute walk 5 minute jog.

I did this and it took me 6 weeks to get to the 2 minute walk 5 minute jog. At this point you should have caught the exercise bug and started noticing the weight come off (providing you stick to a good diet which is the most important). Dont stop there though. Now you are jogging more than walking start to introduce an increased speed turning your jog into more of a run or when walking make it a fast walk. Use a slight incline aswel to really get your legs burning.

At the moment for me ive just started jogging around Glenfield to try and get the exercise bug again. I cant afford a gym membership atm but once ive settled some bills i will rejoin and get on the 30 minute challenge again. Its all about getting that mentality. you start exercising you will naturally start to think about what sort of food to eat. The hardest part is going for that first run. Ive been on it for 3 weeks now and starting to enjoy it.

Good luck [emoji106]

Running on treadmills is so tedious though, I'd save money on the gym and join a running club.

Running on treadmills is so tedious though, I'd save money on the gym and join a running club.

Agreed. I much prefer what im doing now. Havent joined a running club yet though that will be my next step. Looking at joining the Anstey Club

How often do West End meet, are races optional and how varied is the ability of the members?

Westend meet weekly on Wednesdays at 7:15 at the rowing club, they also have a Monday track session at Saffron Lane (costs £3.80 to use the track unless you have a leisure passport). The runs offered on a Wednesday vary from about 6 miles to 9 miles usually with different groups going out at around 7 min/mile, 8-9 min/mile and 10 mins/mile. They also periodically run beginner groups, sometimes we have speed sessions on Wednesday on the Great Central Way or Trophy race at Victoria or Braunstone Park. There is no requirement to enter races but they can get addictive. You can turn up for 2 weeks as a try out without joining.

Agreed. I much prefer what im doing now. Havent joined a running club yet though that will be my next step. Looking at joining the Anstey Club

Gym's are too boring, I'd have gave up running along time ago if I went down the gym. Just lately I've been exploring local footpaths and getting right out into the countryside. It really is great on a nice sunny day to be out in the middle of nowhere, just me and nature, no buildings or traffic.

http://www.leics.gov.uk/pathsmap

Agree with Vlad. Running and cycling are the two sports where I feel free. Just me, myself and I.

May invest in some new trainers as I've just done a 3 mile jog and my feet are throbbing. I've posted about it before and adjusted my laces but this can't be right

Anyone do some track or circuit work in their training? I hear they are great for your speed but I am a student and so I do not see the expenses for them worthwhile.

It's £3:80 to do a track session at Saffron Lane, hardly a massive outlay for some extremely useful training, you'll be surprised how much faster you are on track.

Agree with Vlad. Running and cycling are the two sports where I feel free. Just me, myself and I.

May invest in some new trainers as I've just done a 3 mile jog and my feet are throbbing. I've posted about it before and adjusted my laces but this can't be right

Paul at Leicester Running Shop will sort you out if you want gait analysis and to get the right shoes (I'm not on commission [emoji4])

It's £3:80 to do a track session at Saffron Lane, hardly a massive outlay for some extremely useful training, you'll be surprised how much faster you are on track.

Yeah, it all will add up though especially when I am trying to save much as I can for travelling around the world trip- is the difference massive? 

Thanks Paul from Leicester Running Shop. See you soon!

[emoji3], us Newport boys have to stick together. Paul is doing TR 24 as a single runner this year, I'm definitely not him.

Back from a short run this morning and my left knee is hurting a little.

I've been doing some weights too, and I think I may have tried to lift too much. Arse.

I used to get knee pain from running on the road too much, my lanky frame couldn't handle it!

Taken to cycling to work over the past week, feel so much better for it already. Still keeping up the running, but I could really do with signing up for a marathon/half marathon as an incentive though. Anybody got any on the horizon? Will definitely do the Leicester one again this year, but that's not until October.

I used to get knee pain from running on the road too much, my lanky frame couldn't handle it!

Taken to cycling to work over the past week, feel so much better for it already. Still keeping up the running, but I could really do with signing up for a marathon/half marathon as an incentive though. Anybody got any on the horizon? Will definitely do the Leicester one again this year, but that's not until October.

I think I might have to increase the miles on the bike, especially until I can shift some more weight.

Gym's are too boring, I'd have gave up running along time ago if I went down the gym. Just lately I've been exploring local footpaths and getting right out into the countryside. It really is great on a nice sunny day to be out in the middle of nowhere, just me and nature, no buildings or traffic.

http://www.leics.gov.uk/pathsmap

Ive started running from Ratby to Glenfield and back to Ratby. Turn around once i reach glenfield Co op totalling 3 miles. Think its called the Ivanhoe Trail. Nice enough in the dry weather. I have a Bike but the brakes arent great. I might start mixing it up with Running and Cycling.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm considering running the TR24 next year as a single runner, this year I am in a team of 8 doing it as a relay so will probably do 40km. 24 hours of running around a 10km course sounds like a challenge to me but I'm not sure what distance to target for it, I think I'll need to budget around 6 hours for breaks, food etc so maybe 180km?

Edit: rereading that I'm already thinking of lowering the target distance.

Hang on!!!...Running non stop for 24 hours did you say???

Archived