Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lamby

What gigs are you going?

Went to Courteeners at O2 last night. Absolutely incredible. 

Strange that I've been to so many gigs but never been to the o2 in leicster. TBH seeing the manic street preachers at de mont put me off seeing concerts in leicester but if the atmosphere is good at the o2 I might be tempted back.

It wouldn't surprise me.

I know someone who went to see Ed Sheeran, or rather didn't, because she ended up at the venue he was playing a day later (rather than the one that was printed on the ticket :rolleyes: ). I think this speaks volumes of your typical Ed Sheeran fan.

Bet he's playing to empty venues up and down the country!

People like Ed Sheeran appeal to the masses, old and young, bland m.o.r music targeting people who don't really like music and who listen to generic radio stations and who probably only can name a handful of bands.

What amazes me is artists such as Sheeran have covered songs like 'masters of war' and 'atlantic city' but when it comes to writing their own music they produce the most bland inane songs, something happens to them, maybe its the influence of their lable, maybe they just cant write songs that have something to say or maybe they are scared of the reaction of writing them.  Whatever it is it's just adding to the blandness of the current music scene.

I keep thinking some revolution will happen like the punk movement in the 70's or a dance movement in the 80's that changes things but the last 15+ years has produced nothing.  Maybe the kids want it but don't try, or maybe they just like the corporate middle of the road music that has dominated for so long.

• Like 1

Strange that I've been to so many gigs but never been to the o2 in leicster. TBH seeing the manic street preachers at de mont put me off seeing concerts in leicester but if the atmosphere is good at the o2 I might be tempted back.

The atmosphere at O2 on Saturday was absolutely brilliant. Cavorting was something special... 

People like Ed Sheeran appeal to the masses, old and young, bland m.o.r music targeting people who don't really like music and who listen to generic radio stations and who probably only can name a handful of bands.

What amazes me is artists such as Sheeran have covered songs like 'masters of war' and 'atlantic city' but when it comes to writing their own music they produce the most bland inane songs, something happens to them, maybe its the influence of their lable, maybe they just cant write songs that have something to say or maybe they are scared of the reaction of writing them.  Whatever it is it's just adding to the blandness of the current music scene.

I keep thinking some revolution will happen like the punk movement in the 70's or a dance movement in the 80's that changes things but the last 15+ years has produced nothing.  Maybe the kids want it but don't try, or maybe they just like the corporate middle of the road music that has dominated for so long.

I think pop music in general has stagnated a fair bit. Go back a decade or so ago to the likes of Justified by Justin Timberlake for example, (and regardless of what you think of his music personally) and it was at least still inventive and well put together; practically anything Timbaland or the Neptunes got their hands on in the early/mid-noughties that charted was gold and was innovative, well constructed pop music. Even some of the stuff Timberlake did with Nsync was superb, on reflection.

We still do alright here in terms of our charts remaining vaguely credible, Royal Blood / Disclosure proving you don't have to be bland as **** to top the charts - but this formulaic Calvin Harris / David Guetta / Example "banger" movement has produced an awful amount of copycat shit that seems to dominate. There's always been guff to offset the quality in chart music but it seems nowadays the ratio is ever increasing.

Music on the whole however is still completely brilliant if you don't use what's predominant in charts as a barometer of it's state of health.

Eventually you stop giving a fvck about what everyone else is listening to and you just enjoy what you listen to. This is what ive found anyway.

I've found this too - it's easier than it's ever been to discover new stuff too. The charts aren't the be all and end all by any means.