Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Brighton & Hove Albion Post Match Thread

Just got back, What a fustrating game.

Yet another side willing to put as many bodies in defence and midfield and wait for the counter. This time we couldn't find a way through. Fair play to Brighton's work rate. They put in a performance tonight.

My take on the game...

1) Without Howard (or another target man) we suffer.

2) Dyer needs some bench time.

3) Martin is less confident about his own kicking than I am.

4) Dickov needs to be sold.

5) Barry Hayles cameo looked encouraging. (I did enjoy the Barry chants!)

I am concerned at the lack of cover we have for Howard. If we don't have another target man, we should have a plan 'b'. Possibly skillful wingers that are prepared to take on players and use the flanks.

What is the point of us hoofing the ball up the field without a big centre forward on the pitch?

The two points dropped don't bother me too much. It's the weaknesses this game exposed that concerns me.

PS: Those of you that booed the team at the final whistle (and especially to the twat in the kop that kept screaming at Pearson to sort it out)....Fcuk off!

Pearson On Point

Posted on: Tue 27 Jan 2009

Nigel Pearson said he remained positive after watching his side battle out a 0-0 draw with Brighton & Hove Albion on Tuesday evening.

The Foxes went into the game having gained victory in their previous eight home league fixture - a run that had helped them to build up a nine-point lead at the top of the table.

But Micky Adams' Seagulls proved a difficult nut to crack on the night - and City had to be happy with a point.

But with MK Dons losing at home to Leyton Orient - Pearson could take some solace out of the result.

He said: "If you look at the league table tonight then I suppose it's not a bad point for us. It was simply frustrating in the sense that we probably deserved to win it.

"Brighton are fighting for their lives and have come away with a good point - but they have dropped into the relegation zone. That just goes to show how tight the league is.

"We just weren't able to do enough tonight to pick up all three points, but we move on."

Pearson also gave the latest on striker Steve Howard, who had been absent from the City16.

He added: "Steve has been ill over the last couple of days. He had to miss the game tonight and we will now monitor the situation ahead our trip to Northampton on Saturday."

Link

Should have won the game, especially Fryatt, but a point is a point and we're 10 points clear.

And fook off people who boo. Especially when it was a game that put us 10 points clear. It's not as if there was no effort put in. :angry:

You can knock those who tell Pearson to sort it out - but he sodding well needs to.

Cleverley looks lost in centre mid, his control and passing was ****ing amateurish in the first half adding to the voices crying out for the signing of a decent midfield player. This is his second match on the trot he's been left wanting in midfield. And what of Dyer? Yet another gash performance from him - no ideas, no pace - no point.

The back pair looked like they hardly knew each other at times, lending credence to anyone who said we'd miss Tunchev and needed a decent centre back signed, someone who could be commanding at the back. And I'm sure I remember Gilbert being good once, it seems a long time ago.

What can be said about Dickov that hasn't been said - I wish I knew why we are playing him, he's not had one decent game this season. If our youngsters aren't good enough to be selected and played then we need to sign people: Dickov and Hayles are not the fucking answer.

There are problems in what is left of the squad, they go beyond this one shitty game but tonight highlighted our shortcomings. We have no invention, no vision and no talent...and without Howard we have no one to mix it up and create chances for others. We have no options on the wings, we can't pass and run through the middle and we are excellent at passing back to the keeper.

Wrong to tell Pearson to sort it out?

I don't fucking think so.

Who the fuck else is going to do it?

Cleverley looks lightweight in the middle of the park, and sometimes his passing are so wayward that it isn't even funny. Schoolboys don't even make those errors 2, 3, 4 times on the trot.

It was never going to live upto Sat's game was it?

Brighton came for a point and got it.

We've always struggled to break down teams like that and again tonight we struggled although we did have the chances to score.

Thought some interaction between the players was spot on but it just needs abit of a finishing edge.

Martin made a few good saves too so all in all a point nearer our goal of promotion.

I wanst over excited when we signed Dickov and i can see whay.

He's finished.

Ive slated Howard all season(and will do!!!) BUT i dont know if it was just coincidence but we did miss his aerial prowess.

After Fryatt=Howard combo we struggle to find any other options upfront.

Perhaps it would be time to recall THE DJ from Bpool!!!

BUT we are still 10 points clear and ALL other teams would LOVE to be in our position BUT im sure the doom mongers will be laughing into thier horlicks before they take their sister to sleep!!!!

By the way,any fcuker who Booed should be shot!

Whats that....er 2 draws since about November in the League with the rest ALL WINS...yeah the fcukers deserve Booing eh???? <_<

i think it's quite funny that because we haven't won most people are saying it was because we missed howard, which i'm sure we did, especially given the performance of his replacement.

yet the difference between tonight and saturday, from what people have said is minimal - ie. we were a bit shit - in fact the only difference between the two games, that i can see, is that tonight we hit the woodwork two or three times...such a fine line, really.

once again, the assumptions and reality haven't matched and some fans just can't understand it, and diagnose that something must be wrong.

howard or no howard, dickov or no dickov, we still created enough chances to win tonight as comfortably (scorelinewise) as we did on saturday, but sometimes the ball just doesn't go for you, that's all it is.

pearson ain't gonna rush out and buy a striker just cause of this performance, that's pure silliness, he knows that the players we have are good enough to win this league...then he'll go shopping :thumbup:

I blame the fact they played in our away kit.

Shirt. :thumbup:

I was so bored, I noticed and had and in depth discussion about it, They were wearing their own socks and shorts, I only noticed this in the 2nd half. What happened with their own shirts? Anyone know? Kit man colour blind and packed their home shirts by accident?

Shirt. :thumbup:

I was so bored, I noticed and had and in depth discussion about it, They were wearing their own socks and shorts, I only noticed this in the 2nd half. What happened with their own shirts? Anyone know? Kit man colour blind and packed their home shirts by accident?

Well their away kit is blue and yellow, with yellow shorts and socks.

Obviously the ref deemed there to be too much blue.

And their third shirt is light blue lol

pearson ain't gonna rush out and buy a striker just cause of this performance, that's pure silliness, he knows that the players we have are good enough to win this league...then he'll go shopping :thumbup:

Didn't say he should - I believe he should because we have no options and no depth of squad, and we have nothing to convince me that we will offer anything next season.

Yes, these players should now lift the title - but playing games I want to see? Probably not. Tonight was nothing like Saturday, it was like parts of Saturday...the bad parts.

The club want me to buy a season ticket before March then they need to give me a much better reason to do so than Paul Dickov.

It was never going to live upto Sat's game was it?

Brighton came for a point and got it.

We've always struggled to break down teams like that and again tonight we struggled although we did have the chances to score.

Thought some interaction between the players was spot on but it just needs abit of a finishing edge.

Martin made a few good saves too so all in all a point nearer our goal of promotion.

I wanst over excited when we signed Dickov and i can see whay.

He's finished.

Ive slated Howard all season(and will do!!!) BUT i dont know if it was just coincidence but we did miss his aerial prowess.

After Fryatt=Howard combo we struggle to find any other options upfront.

Perhaps it would be time to recall THE DJ from Bpool!!!

BUT we are still 10 points clear and ALL other teams would LOVE to be in our position BUT im sure the doom mongers will be laughing into thier horlicks before they take their sister to sleep!!!!

By the way,any fcuker who Booed should be shot!

Whats that....er 2 draws since about November in the League with the rest ALL WINS...yeah the fcukers deserve Booing eh???? <_<

Raj... being sensible.... NEVER!

I can't believe that shit.

Fifty pounds plus that evening would have cost my son and I for an insipid, uncommitted excuse for a football match.

Had City drawn 0-0 with Huddersfield Saturday I could have understood it and offered some praise.

But Brighton were to football what the Great Central Way is to motorways. Third rate.

Bloody hell, Woolworths closed down quicker than they did.

Money isn't everything and if I were in Max Gradel's place I'd put my transfer request in tomorrow morning and hope that someone like Crewe came in to give me a break.

Cos if anyone thinks anything of Gradel at Leicester they've got a funny way of showing it. Cos tonight's game was crying out for his pace and impish determination to break a team down.

What did Dyer do? A couple of runs first half, a couple of runs second half, the creation of a chance or two, no more and some pretty inconsequential crosses.

As a one off game a shake of the head would have been enoiugh but this has gone on and on.

People will say Brighton put men behind the ball and did all they could to frustrate us. But we had no pace, no movement, no ideas and we hardly ever got a quorum of players forward of the halfway line.

Our defence might be praised for a clean sheet but no one in the right mind would ever say they were going to be fecked by Brighton.

Defending is not just about blocking shots, defending set-pieces and preventing the opposition from scoring. It is about supporting our attack and getting forward fast to put the opposition under pressure. We did that, of course. For the last 10 minutes.

The rest of the time it was like we had no urgency at all and didn't give a toss about scoring.

Our passing from the back was rank. Hobbs tried for a while but, as always, reverted to kind as time went on. Will someone tell him that he's got no idea how to pass the ball 30 yards and would he please stick to ten.

Gilbert gave a display of ball control that would have flattered an epileptic juggler, I cannot remember a single consequential thing that Berner did, Fryatt's big moment came when he nearly hit the London Eye from 12 yards and as for Dickov, words almost fail me.

Did he touch the ball at all? He carried about as much menace as a hit man with a pea-shotter. And mushy peas at that.

Oh yes he did have one chance. His header from 10 yards after a brilliant four man move and how it summed up the night when he nodded it straight at their keeper with about as much venon as a grass snake with a migraine.

Being top of the table by the proverbial mile we had no need to be negative. Is it really a new rule of the club that if Howard's not there they're not going to play?

How the big man was missed. We were like a cannon without the balls.

But at least the company was good in the pub.

TBH I'm glad I'm stuck in Manchester doing exams, it sounded awful.

I said to someone the other day, it's going too well so I guess we were due a blip, hopefully this might convince Pearson that we dont have sufficient back up for our strikers and we need a central midfielder as from what I hear Cleverly isn't the answer. He's only 18 and may be able to fill in, but he isn't going to propel a team to promotion i don't think.

Didn't say he should - I believe he should because we have no options and no depth of squad, and we have nothing to convince me that we will offer anything next season.

Yes, these players should now lift the title - but playing games I want to see? Probably not. Tonight was nothing like Saturday, it was like parts of Saturday...the bad parts.

The club want me to buy a season ticket before March then they need to give me a much better reason to do so than Paul Dickov.

i know, you hadn't even posted when i wrote that.

the trouble is, pearson and mandaric don't care what you (or any fan) want to see, they just want to go up for as little outlay as possible...

of course it ain't pretty, but for the width of an upright we'd be smug and happy to have played crap and got three more points.

i'd like to have better players than we do have, but pearson knows that the 11 that he sent out did enough to win that on any given day, if things fell right, they didn't, same as they didn't against milwall.

anyway, howard will be back soon, no doubt... that wasn't the problem tonight, the problem was (i gather) primarily dickov....

Archived