Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scow

Northampton Boss: Leicester are direct and rigid

Link

"Leicester are quite a direct side, they like to get the ball forward quickly and they are a team that plays to their strengths.

"They play quite a rigid formation and what you do know is that any side that Nigel Pearson puts out will be solid and well-organised."

I wouldn't call us a direct side - we like to mix it around and Howard gives us that option.

I don't believe we're rigid either with giving Oakley a free role and allowing Gilbert to bomb on. Plus, Dyer is given licence to drift in and run at defenders and/or get beyond the forwards (albeit not very often recently).

sounds like he could be saying we move the ball forward quickly, whiich i've seen us do for many of goals this season and that we have a way of playing that is pretty settled...

tho it could be interpreted as: we play route one and only have one way of playing...

so, it's just more crap that probably isn't worth reading...

He may be basing his opinion on what he saw when they came to us in October. We were rigid and lifeless.

However, in the majority of league matches this season, we've been quick and pacy getting the ball forward, as is shown by our goals for column.

Agree with him, without Tunchev and Davies we've been more prone to hoofball and both of our wingers drift inside a lot (which is to be expected with Oakley). I don't think anyone can deny we've been pretty direct during the season.

Well we have.

We mix it up, we play great football and also sometimes play 50 yard balls up to Howard. it's the best way to go. I believe Mourinho plays like this and his record is ok..

With regards to narrow wingers, yes Oakley drifts in field, as Scow said, he has a free role. This does not restrict the width too much as Gilbert bombs on from right back and becomes the width on the right side.

A bit of a selective post the complete quote is :

" I think they'll go up automatically, what we need to do is make sure we take 4 points off them. We did well at their place and got a well deserved draw. They are quite a direct team and they play to their strengths.

They've got Steve Howard and Fryatt, who plays off him. They are quite rigid in their shape and I know any team Nigel Pearson puts out will be well organised.

It is going to be a good game for us, we're performing well at home and the crowd will be buoyant.

They've sold out their allocation and I think it will be a sell-out, so it should generate a good atmosphere."

I can't see any disrespect or mind games there !!!

BTW You've never beaten us in a league match !

" I think they'll go up automatically, what we need to do is make sure we take 4 points off them. We did well at their place and got a well deserved draw. They are quite a direct team and they play to their strengths.

They've got Steve Howard and Fryatt, who plays off him. They are quite rigid in their shape and I know any team Nigel Pearson puts out will be well organised.

It is going to be a good game for us, we're performing well at home and the crowd will be buoyant.

They've sold out their allocation and I think it will be a sell-out, so it should generate a good atmosphere."

btw ... we are ten points clear :thumbup:

more important than any 'fact'

EDIT: oh and we have nearly double the points you have...

You're a big club...

:thumbup:

You're a big club...

No they aren't, and no one there would claim to be.

What they are is an honest-to-goodness team who have a solid fanbase of 3k-6.5k depending on fortunes, supporters who endure more than their fair share of hoofball and daft defensive tactics. Supporters who, having endured seasons propping up the four divisions still travel home and away.

Like most of the other teams in this division, I think they deserve our respect - not a supercilious, arrogant attitude of superiority.

We're also ten points clear so bring it bitch.

lol

Gray's an honest fella and not know for his mind games at all. He's just probably saying it how he sees it. He respects Leicester a lot but having beaten Bolton away and taking Sunderland all the way at the SOL he knows that we have the players to beat you if they all perform. The fact that you are supposdely looking at Coke and Akinfenwa shows you that we have some ability. That said i have seen you a number of times this season and believe the better team wins most of the time so you have a great chance

Gray's an honest fella and not know for his mind games at all. He's just probably saying it how he sees it. He respects Leicester a lot but having beaten Bolton away and taking Sunderland all the way at the SOL he knows that we have the players to beat you if they all perform. The fact that you are supposdely looking at Coke and Akinfenwa shows you that we have some ability. That said i have seen you a number of times this season and believe the better team wins most of the time so you have a great chance

May I be the first to say it's nice to see an opposition fan on here with a brain cell, welcome along. Yes it wasn't intended to be taken seriously. From what I've heard of him he seems a likeable manager. Tomorrow aside I wish you luck for the rest of the season.

A bit of flattery for Pearson. The perfect set-up really. Basically saying, "Pearson's a solid bloke. I respect him enormously. But he's got about as much imagination as a concrete lamp-post and I'm going to whip his arse." With any luck, Pearson won't have read a word of it and will be focused on our strengths and their weaknesses.

We have now meeeert.

Waaaaay - top of the league, 10 points clear, we're top of the league and we're 10 points clear!

:whistle:

It's alright him saying we're direct, but the best passing move of the game lead to the winner.

And their sole reliance on set-pieces as their danger. They didn't make one opportunity outside of a set-piece today bar Jackman, all the rest did was hoof the bleeder.

Pearson had his response all planned.

He said: "Lads, in the first half we'll play direct and rigid and still hold our own. Then in the second half, we'll play the passing football that we're capable of and we'll win"

Seriously, I reckon he had a word with them at half-time because there was a lot more passing football second half and a lot less hoofing.

Archived