Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ultra

TEAM FOR SWINDON

We have one of the largest squads in the division. So let's make use of that depth and freshen up the side in key areas.

Gilbert and Dyer have looked jaded for a while. So it makes sense to give them a break in order to prepare them for key games which lie ahead in coming weeks.

This is the side I'd go for..:

Martin

Cleverley

Hobbs

Morrison

Powell

Oakley

Berner

King

Gradel

Howard

Fryatt

Subs: Logan/Pentney, Edworthy, Brown, Mattock, Chambers

Id like to see Gradel start for Dyer.

Berner start in the centre but i can't see Oakley or King being dropped.

And Fryatt AND Howard both starting on the bench but we don't have enough strikers for that.

And i can't see Hayles and Chambers starting, or Dj and either of them as he won't be recalled.

And don't really fancy Dickov starting.

So probably stuck with Fryatt and Howard :P

Think i would drop Fryatt if i had to pick one, 2 goals in 11 games since his new contract, his place in the side is too certain, and of course the missed peno, get him on the bench.

Id like to see Gradel start for Dyer.

Berner start in the centre but i can't see Oakley or King being dropped.

And Fryatt AND Howard both starting on the bench but we don't have enough strikers for that.

And i can't see Hayles and Chambers starting, or Dj and either of them as he won't be recalled.

And don't really fancy Dickov starting.

So probably stuck with Fryatt and Howard :P

Think i would drop Fryatt if i had to pick one, 2 goals in 11 games since his new contract, his place in the side is too certain, and of course the missed peno, get him on the bench.

Howard - bench? you being serious?

Howard - bench? you being serious?

hmmmm.

Actually if he did sit on the bench it would probably snap from his weight.

Sit him on the floor near the bench :thumbup:

Howard looked a little tired, didn't seem to be jumping or winning headers yesterday, bench him.

Im thinking rotation time:

GK: Martin

RB: Cleverly

CB: Hobbs

CB:Brown

LB: Powell

RM: Oakley

CM: King

CM: Berner

LM: Mattock

ST: Fryatt: needs to play and score a couple in this game... if he was on a scoring run i would of said rest him.

ST: I personally think we will bag a striker on loan this week but if not then cant see past Howard however he needs a break.

Bench: Dont really care doesnt seem to get used to effect anyway.

He just ain't gonna do it.

He'll want our best side out Saturday and 44 points from our last 17 unbeaten league games (out of a possible 51) says our best team is the one he's been choosing, bar injuries.

Irrespective of current form people like Howard, Oakley, Dyer, King have been virtually ever present in that time. Gilbert's also been mostly there apart from injury so, when push comes to shove, the boss will stick with people who've delivered more points than we've collected for years in such a short time.

Pearson's no gambler. If he chooses his familiar team and has to change it few would reasonably complain.

But if he changes things dramatically and loses the game he'll be everything daft and guilty of over-reacting.

He'll stay safe. And anyone hoping to force their way into the side will have to do it gradually when the opportunity arises. Pity though. Porter, Gradel? Both should be more involved but they're not. And otherwise our squad seriously flatters to deceive.

There may be numbers but, of the 35 squad names listed in the Oldham programme I'd say at least 18 had no chance of playing.

We have one of the largest squads in the division. So let's make use of that depth and freshen up the side in key areas.

Gilbert and Dyer have looked jaded for a while. So it makes sense to give them a break in order to prepare them for key games which lie ahead in coming weeks.

Martin

Cleverley

Hobbs

Morrison

Powell

Oakley

Berner

King

Gradel

Howard

Fryatt

Mattock isn't someone that would need a rest so him in for Powell but I'd go for the rest of that team

The team, and the defence in particular, has been overloaded with young players in recent weeks.

Bringing in Powell restores the balance between youth and experience.

Has Powell even been on the bench in past weeks? hes done well since joining, would like to see more from him though because he still looks a steady defender.

Martin

Cleverly Hobbs Morrison Mattock

Oakley King Berner Hayles/Chambers

Howard Fryatt

Subs:

Brown, Pentney, Hayles/Chambers, Powell, Dyer

I would like Nicky Adams to get recalled from Rochdale and have a shot in centre midfield or on the wing to give us mre options as Gradel and Dyer dont seem to be having the best of games recently

Martin

Powell Hobbs Brown Mattock/Edworthy

Gradel Oakley King Cleverley

Howard Chambers

Subs: Cisak/Pentney/Logan, Edworthy/Mattock/Gilbert, Porter, Berner, Fryatt

OR

Martin

Edworthy/Powell Hobbs Morisson Mattock

Oakley Cleverley Berner Porter

Howard Fryatt

Subs: Cisak/Pentney/Logan, Edworthy/Powell/Gilbert, Dyer, Chambers

Think we need to try some new things to see if we are able to change things up towards the end of the season, and play well.

This large squad talk is one big myth.]

We don't have a large squad. We have a load of deadwood.

Spot on!

Guess how many players have started 5 or more league games this season? Just 15!

I think that says a lot about how big Pearson thinks his first team squad is and how much he needs to change it.

There are 1 or 2 players who could usefully come on from the bench more to provide a bit of competition for those in the team (Gradel, Chambers, Brown, Adams if he returns this season), but why make needless changes to a team that is unbeaten in 17 league games unless someone is unfit or playing atrociously every game (which doesn't even apply to Gilbert or Dyer - neither has been brilliant but both have been passable, indeed Dyer is on a slight upturn, I think).

As for dropping Howard on the strength of his failure to dominate 1 match?! Laughable! He didn't dominate against Oldham because they had probably the best centre backs he's played against this season - but he still won the ball a fair bit. It's the way he dominates defences week in, week out, that is unusual, not the 1 match when it's 50-50 between him and the opposing defence.

Martin

Gilbert

Hobbs

Morrison

Mattock

Oakley

Cleverley

King

Dyer

Howard

Fryatt

Subs:

Dickov

Powell

Pentney

Gradel

Chambers

I honestly can't see him changing it unless injuries force him to do so.

Possibly Powell in for Mattock to start but that's about it

The team, and the defence in particular, has been overloaded with young players in recent weeks.

Bringing in Powell restores the balance between youth and experience.

yes but we aren't exactly struggling in defence are we

Martin

Gilbert Hobbs Brown Mattock

Oakley Cleverley Berner Gradel

Howard Fryatt

Subs:

Pentney, Powell, King, Chambers, Hayles.

Brown deserves a start to prove his mettle, so give morrison a rest (and some time to learn to pass!)

I prefer oakley on the right, so move him back out and whack cleverley in the centre with berner (king needs a rest, and berner looked solid there early in the season)

Gradel in for dyer, really for the same reason as king. give him a week off

Martin

Cleverley

Hobbs

Morrison

Powell

Oakley

Berner

King

Gradel

Howard

Fryatt

I totally agree that we need to see other fringe players step forward.

I like the idea of Powell coming in and I'd like to see Brown make an appearence too. That said, Hobbs and Morrison have grown together in confidence and done little wrong recently to warrant a rest.

I don't think Gradel is the answer to Dyer's replacement. His cameo appearences of late have done very little to inspire. I don't beleive that giving him more match time will produce anything different. If I were Pearson, I'd send him out on a short term loan deal.

Ashley Chambers should also be given an outing. He looked sharp pre-season and I think he will become a similar player to Andy King in that quality match time will see him develop into a regular first team player very quickly.

Barry Hayles was another player that possibly merits a match. He looked lively the other week. Anyone but Dickov please.

Spot on!

Guess how many players have started 5 or more league games this season? Just 15!

I think that says a lot about how big Pearson thinks his first team squad is and how much he needs to change it.

There are 1 or 2 players who could usefully come on from the bench more to provide a bit of competition for those in the team (Gradel, Chambers, Brown, Adams if he returns this season), but why make needless changes to a team that is unbeaten in 17 league games unless someone is unfit or playing atrociously every game (which doesn't even apply to Gilbert or Dyer - neither has been brilliant but both have been passable, indeed Dyer is on a slight upturn, I think).

As for dropping Howard on the strength of his failure to dominate 1 match?! Laughable! He didn't dominate against Oldham because they had probably the best centre backs he's played against this season - but he still won the ball a fair bit. It's the way he dominates defences week in, week out, that is unusual, not the 1 match when it's 50-50 between him and the opposing defence.

Sir Alf is one of my new favourite posters.

Martin

Edworthy Morrison Hobbs Berner

Oakley Cleverley King Gradel

Fryatt Howard

Subs: Pentney, Brown, Dyer, Mattock, Chambers

Gilbert has been very poor recently as has Dyer and I think it's time they were given a breather to regroup themselves.

this all sounds like more of the same panicky nonsense that has followed the last few games.

the first 11 are good enough, even now, to beat any team in this league - yes they may be tiring but probably no more than their opponents.

many of the games this season have been close and/or low scoring. and so we have had a couple of 0-0's recently - but that doesn't mean we need to start fucking with the formula. remember in both of those games we hit the woodwork on two or more occasions. also, other teams are now starting to realise that the season is getting more crucial with playoff spots and relegation becoming evermore apparent, and conceivable have more desire to perform than us with our 11 point cushion.

personally, i thought gilbert and dyer looked ok at the weekend, no doubt they've played better, but by all accounts (based on everyone's ratings) they have played much worse.

if NP wants more competition or to rest players, then he should start by making more and earlier substitutions, which he doesn't seem particularly keen on.

which all goes to suggest that he is pretty happy at the moment.

so, i'm guessing business as usual, with no more than perhaps the berner/powell/mattock rotation system....

Archived