Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

This mobile phone shopping malarkey seems a lot tougher than last time. Before, I just walked into each shop, looked at the cheapest 3G flip-up phone, checked the price of calls and bought it. Oh, for the heady days of 04? 05? I forget.

Anyway, my nigh-on indestructible Motorola V980 took a turn for the worse recently. While its still working fine despite most of the paint having chipped off from being in a pocket with my keys for over four years, the antenna thing has come off due to another minor high-speed collision with a brick wall, this time with some unfortunately positioned mortar that caught it and cracked it. I meant to fix it up with superglue and it would have been fine, but the bit it screws into has now snapped off and I've lost both that and the antenna itself, resulting in calls with a little more of the 'hello? HELLO? I'M ON THE TRAIN' than I'd like.

So the time has come to replace it, but nobody seems to do what I'm after, which is basically the same thing. I mean, the only things it lacks really are bluetooth and the camera is a bit useless.

Problem is I can't find anyone doing flip-up designs anymore except one Sony one that looks ridiculously fragile, which would defeat the point.

Basically - tough, decent amount of features (internetty 3g type stuff, mildly crap instead of near-useless camera), quite cheap? Ideas? I mean, ok, its doesn't look hard-wearing enough but I'd like one of them google ones, but its ridiculously pricey.

This mobile phone shopping malarkey seems a lot tougher than last time. Before, I just walked into each shop, looked at the cheapest 3G flip-up phone, checked the price of calls and bought it. Oh, for the heady days of 04? 05? I forget.

Anyway, my nigh-on indestructible Motorola V980 took a turn for the worse recently. While its still working fine despite most of the paint having chipped off from being in a pocket with my keys for over four years, the antenna thing has come off due to another minor high-speed collision with a brick wall, this time with some unfortunately positioned mortar that caught it and cracked it. I meant to fix it up with superglue and it would have been fine, but the bit it screws into has now snapped off and I've lost both that and the antenna itself, resulting in calls with a little more of the 'hello? HELLO? I'M ON THE TRAIN' than I'd like.

So the time has come to replace it, but nobody seems to do what I'm after, which is basically the same thing. I mean, the only things it lacks really are bluetooth and the camera is a bit useless.

Problem is I can't find anyone doing flip-up designs anymore except one Sony one that looks ridiculously fragile, which would defeat the point.

Basically - tough, decent amount of features (internetty 3g type stuff, mildly crap instead of near-useless camera), quite cheap? Ideas? I mean, ok, its doesn't look hard-wearing enough but I'd like one of them google ones, but its ridiculously pricey.

Very good choice sir - excellent phone.

Love mine.

I am having exactly the same problem. I am agonising over my choice.

Already gone for an HTC Touch HD, just to return it within the 7 days.

Then ordered the Pro version, and changed my mind (reviews) before I even got it (it was almost a week later anyway). Now I wonder... iphone or xperia x1? Or just bloody nothing and stay on pay as you go? Argh, so many (expensive) choices, and none of the phones what I want! :unsure:

Then ordered the Pro version, and changed my mind (reviews) before I even got it (it was almost a week later anyway). Now I wonder... iphone or xperia x1? Or just bloody nothing and stay on pay as you go? Argh, so many (expensive) choices, and none of the phones what I want! :unsure:

iphone.

At least change to Sim Only rather than stay on PAYG.

Get an iphone, you will not regret it.

Is there a smallish hi-spec phone that isn't one of those crappy slide out things or a flip phone, or a copy of a sodding iphone*? The Sony Ericsson C902 does what I want it to, but a mouse would struggle with the rubbish little buttons

I was looking at the C902 myself the other day. It looked so much like the kind of phone I wanted but yes the buttons are the main complaint about the phone. It seems to have a good balance of functions (in the small format) otherwise...

iphone.

Tested the iphone today at carphone warehouse. Could not find any applications to read Office documents.

I intend to buy the iphone but SIM free...

Main problems for me:

- lack of (proper) bluetooth,

- lack of copy and paste,

- cannot save downloads from safari (if I remember well)