Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Parking Just Got Harder

Residents' parking permits will be introduced within weeks outside hundreds of city homes blighted by inconsiderate drivers.

Some streets off Narborough Road, Leicester, will trial the new scheme from September, with residents paying £25 a year to park in their street.

Full Report - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Opinion-split-parking-permit-plan-approved/article-2476164-detail/article.html

This is an absolute disgrace, the Council should be ashamed of themselves. Where exactly do they expect supporters to park? For a stadium that can hold in excess of 32,000 people surely as part of the planning application someone must have considered where people plan to park their cars? This is purely a money making scam, and i'm sure we'll now see an increasing number of traffic wardens out in force on match days. Let's be honest, I appreciate that it is inconvenient for those who live in the houses, but in fairness they know the score when they buy a house in the area, and also it's only for a couple of hours 1 to 2 days a week.

Nice of the Daily Mercury to brand people as "inconsiderate" just for wanting to park a mile away from the ground and not pay through the nose for it. If I'd known I was supposed to be inconsiderate, I'd have made less of an effort not to block driveways, and parked further away from the kerb.

Edit, for some reason I didn't read it properly and thought they were on about the street parking off Upperton Road. Won't belong before they go after those, too though I fear.

This is an absolute disgrace, the Council should be ashamed of themselves. Where exactly do they expect supporters to park? For a stadium that can hold in excess of 32,000 people surely as part of the planning application someone must have considered where people plan to park their cars? This is purely a money making scam, and i'm sure we'll now see an increasing number of traffic wardens out in force on match days. Let's be honest, I appreciate that it is inconvenient for those who live in the houses, but in fairness they know the score when they buy a house in the area, and also it's only for a couple of hours 1 to 2 days a week.

you are probably not far wrong the number of traffic wardens the council have floating around burnmoor street and brazil street on matchdays is verging on stupid they seem to have an army of recovery trucks waiting around the corner to tow cars away.

I know people know it's the rules and all that but sometimes you just wonder who it benefits

well, maybe from the extra fines and the 'privilege' of paying to park in front of your own house, they will have enough money to open the ivanhoe line, with a station along the embankment behind the ground, thus allowing all local fans from the all over leicester to leave their cars at home, and reduce the amount of police required to marshall away fans from the london road and...

oh, wait a minute, i forgot, this is leicester....

Pretty sure those houses have been there longer than the Walkers

i live off narborough road and have difficulty parking on my own street let alone outside my own house due to visitors to the area.

i am not in favour of the idea of parking permits ,but how else can local residents be helped in this situation

suggestions on a postcard please :dunno:

So anywhere south of the upperton road near the Huntsman pub should be ok to park still then? I always park up before the upperton road and walk the rest of the way.

yeah,just park outside my house mate,everybody else does, lol

seen the signs when went to todays game.. usually park on western road myself so thats my parking gone out the window..

typical leicester council though.. not doing things properly.. all they will do is push the cars further back and create even more problems there..

i live off narborough road and have difficulty parking on my own street let alone outside my own house due to visitors to the area.

i am not in favour of the idea of parking permits ,but how else can local residents be helped in this situation

suggestions on a postcard please :dunno:

think i just did?

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=67057&view=findpost&p=1651778

No, it's not a disgrace, at worst it's some different people being inconvenienced to some other people who have been inconvenienced for years. It's also not a couple of hours 1 or 2 days a week, it's every day of the week except maybe Sundays, because it's not just football fans but seemingly most of Leicester that like to use the West End as a free car park. Don't blame the council, the scheme was proposed after residents lobbied them, and then there was a vote on it, with a majority of them in favour in the area in question. It's not a money making scam, I'm not sure it's even expected to break even. Also, and I don't know the details, but I understand that part of the conditions of building the Walkers was that the club would do rather more about getting people to the ground by means other than their cars than they have done. I don't really know any more than that but I went to some of the meetings about the parking scheme and it was suggested that City hadn't delivered on that score, but why not and whether they could be held accountable wasn't clear.

The scheme would have been even bigger (extending across the other side of Narborough Road, and covering the area bordered by Upperton Road, Fosse Road and Hinckley Road) but my fellow residents in their infinite wisdom voted against it, a decision that I think they'll regret in September when the problem gets shifted to us from the area that is getting the scheme.

It's true that such schemes push parking issues further out from a city centre (it's called the doughnut effect apparently, tasty) but only so far because people are lazy bastards and there comes a point where they decide that it's too far to walk from their car to where they want to go and don't bother.

Rather than everyone moaning about it, just be grateful that it didn't come in about 6 years ago because it very nearly did. You've got to enjoy over half a decade more of free parking than you might have done.

Also, don't forget that the council don't actually want people driving into the city centre if possible and are encouraging them to use alternative modes of transport. Admittedly these are shit for the most part, but unless something happens to stop people driving in then the demand required for someone to actually invest in public transport will never be there. Congestion charges and work place parking levies are off the agenda for the foreseeable future, so they're going to be discouraging drivers somehow and not providing extra parking provision seems to be one of the ways that they're doing it

No, it's not a disgrace, at worst it's some different people being inconvenienced to some other people who have been inconvenienced for years. It's also not a couple of hours 1 or 2 days a week, it's every day of the week except maybe Sundays, because it's not just football fans but seemingly most of Leicester that like to use the West End as a free car park. Don't blame the council, the scheme was proposed after residents lobbied them, and then there was a vote on it, with a majority of them in favour in the area in question. It's not a money making scam, I'm not sure it's even expected to break even. Also, and I don't know the details, but I understand that part of the conditions of building the Walkers was that the club would do rather more about getting people to the ground by means other than their cars than they have done. I don't really know any more than that but I went to some of the meetings about the parking scheme and it was suggested that City hadn't delivered on that score, but why not and whether they could be held accountable wasn't clear.

The scheme would have been even bigger (extending across the other side of Narborough Road, and covering the area bordered by Upperton Road, Fosse Road and Hinckley Road) but my fellow residents in their infinite wisdom voted against it, a decision that I think they'll regret in September when the problem gets shifted to us from the area that is getting the scheme.

It's true that such schemes push parking issues further out from a city centre (it's called the doughnut effect apparently, tasty) but only so far because people are lazy bastards and there comes a point where they decide that it's too far to walk from their car to where they want to go and don't bother.

Rather than everyone moaning about it, just be grateful that it didn't come in about 6 years ago because it very nearly did. You've got to enjoy over half a decade more of free parking than you might have done.

Also, don't forget that the council don't actually want people driving into the city centre if possible and are encouraging them to use alternative modes of transport. Admittedly these are shit for the most part, but unless something happens to stop people driving in then the demand required for someone to actually invest in public transport will never be there. Congestion charges and work place parking levies are off the agenda for the foreseeable future, so they're going to be discouraging drivers somehow and not providing extra parking provision seems to be one of the ways that they're doing it

Ok, I take on board what you are saying and have to agree that from a residents perspective it is very frustrating for you. However, as a supporter who lives out of town and has a 30-40 minute car journey in order to watch City, I don't see why I should then be forced to have to walk for 20/30 minutes just to get to my car. It's not that i'm lazy, far from it in fact, but my biggest concern is that my journey time is now going to be increased unnecessarily by at least 50%.

Again, i'd definitely dispute that the Council aren't using this as a way of generating reveneue. I can not see how they wouldn't at least break even on this scheme. Let's be honest the traffic wardens are probably being paid £7-8 per hour, and a parking fine in the city costs £60, or £30 if settled within 28 days. On that basis 2 parking fines issued by 1 warden would effectively cover the wardens wages for a whole 8 hour shift (3 hours of which are probably spent in the close vicinity of the ground, with the rest of their time spent attending to non Football related offences). Given the number of people who park illegally to attend a game on a Saturday afternoon i'd imagine that each warden would easily be able to generate revenue in excess of £300.

Surely the best solution to all of this would be for the Council to use some common sense and introduce a combination of Parking Meter's and Resident Permits. This type of scheme is commonly used in London where congestion is a far bigger problem than Leicester, and is also supported by far superior transport infrastructure. By implementing this type of initiative local residents would be able to park outside of their homes for free, whilst those people coming into the area for short durations such as to visit the Football pay a small premium for the privilege. In addition, it'd discourage those people who are using the area as a free car park from leaving their vehicle there for 8+ hours at a time as it'd wouldn't be very cost effective to do so. Furthermore, it'd also possibly encourage those supporters who live within walking distance of the stadium to consider leaving their car at home and walking to the ground instead as i'm sure they'd be reluctant to pay to park.

Buses aren't that bad but they're a bit pricey. Maybe if people for whom it's a problem lobbied the club, the club could sort out a special bus service from the city centre on match days. Presumably it'd be cheaper and better used. Club gets to put up articles on the OS making it look like they give a shit about fans, bus companies get packed buses without inconveniencing the normal lines and make a little bit of cash, and presumably the bus would be cheaper and more direct for fans. Still got the problem of having to pay for city-centre parking but it beats doing that and then walking.

Can't see why they wouldn't do it if enough people e-mailed them. Could even maybe ask Ultra to have a word with the club :D

we always park in the charity car parks up the hill from the stadium (dont ask me what road i'm on about, but its just down from the dry dock, and theyre in the car parks of businesses which are shut at the weekend). think its only £3 and if it goes to charity then even better! bit of a bitch for getting away after the game though, but it wouldnt be the same without a 30 minute Q after a game surely?! :)

People could also use the Park & Ride from Enderby, I believe the buses go past the Infirmary.

Bit of a convoluted route.

203 - Enderby Service:

Mon - Sat: Daily services, every 10-15 minutes

First bus: 7am

Last bus: 7.08pm (leaves city centre).

Conveniently sited for M1 Junction 21. This will take people to St. Nicholas Place, at the top of High Street (convenient for Highcross, The Lanes and other shops).

At St. Nicholas Place passengers can alight from the Enderby Service, or remain on the bus, which then goes round a short central loop where they can alight (and board) at:

Pocklington's Walk - Horsefair Street - Welford Place - Oxford Street - Infirmary Road for (Leicester Royal Infirmary and Tigers).

The bus returns to St. Nicholas Place to pick up passengers before returning to Enderby.

http://www.leicester.../park-and-ride/

Seems to me that the park and ride sites are perfect, why couldn't the Enderby and Racecourse services be diverted along Aylestone Rd on match days? Maybe the Birstall and Glenfield ones could go on to the Walker's area after a City Center drop off :dunno:

Seems like a win win, The Council gets more revenue and the fans get there without walking a country mile.

I guess the size of the parking lot is an issue but if it is, just park outside someones house. :)

Cheshire Fox.It's called Putney Road. The industrial part is Commercial Square.

I've always parked there as well, for £3, you're 5 mins from stadium, go up to dry dock for a swift one pre match and the parking fee goes to charity. All great.

Yes it is a bitch to get out of if you aren't one of the first out the block and its one way to make it worse. Although if you get in early and park on the Putney Road car parks (I think there are only 2 on Putney Road) instead of commercial square its easier to get out as that part isn't one way yet. But just stick radio Leicester on and you'll be so angry at the callers that the time will fly by :)

Also, don't be tempted to park ont he grass, it doesnt matter how many others do it, the wardens have been known to ticket every car there. I asked a warden about it once and he said it was ok, but then another said its ok but only if you're fully on the grass, you can't touch or hang over the curb. So since i wasnt sure, i just pay the £3. At worst you queue on the way out, its not the end of the world.

any one actually no what roads are effected by these permits?? as it just says 'some' on the report? The park and ride seems like a good idea from enderby, but just having to walk back to the city centre to get it back puts me off a bit!

Archived