Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Sadly, I my mum passed away last month age 91. She survived my dad and lived in the same house until she died.

Now we have the difficult task of clearing a lifetime's collections of stuff, knick-knacks, memorabilia, that has meant something special to  my parents but not really to me or my brother. We will pick out the things we would like to have as memories, but the rest...?

What have others done in this situation? It feels so sad to have to take stuff to charity, or even, in some cases, the tip.

We've considered auctions but there's noting of real value and we can't possibly keep all those ornaments and vases!

Does old EPNS stuff have any value?

I don't want to trawl auction houses or second hand shops or house clearance places. I'm in a quandary. 

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Sadly, I my mum passed away last month age 91. She survived my dad and lived in the same house until she died.

Now we have the difficult task of clearing a lifetime's collections of stuff, knick-knacks, memorabilia, that has meant something special to  my parents but not really to me or my brother. We will pick out the things we would like to have as memories, but the rest...?

What have others done in this situation? It feels so sad to have to take stuff to charity, or even, in some cases, the tip.

We've considered auctions but there's noting of real value and we can't possibly keep all those ornaments and vases!

Does old EPNS stuff have any value?

I don't want to trawl auction houses or second hand shops or house clearance places. I'm in a quandary. 

Let the family and friends in ...    Especially younger ones who are starting out and money is tight ...      They'll skin it.    And what's left give to charity.

19 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Let the family and friends in ...    Especially younger ones who are starting out and money is tight ...      They'll skin it.    And what's left give to charity.

The furniture and the appliances won't be a problem. It just seems such a shame that a lifetime of memories in the ornaments and trinkets that they shared and we bought should just become a thing on a charity shop shelf.

Maybe I'm still at the sense of loss stage where things seem to have an emotional attachment. 

I couldn't give a damn about the washing machine, but that little cut glass jug ... 

10 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The furniture and the appliances won't be a problem. It just seems such a shame that a lifetime of memories in the ornaments and trinkets that they shared and we bought should just become a thing on a charity shop shelf.

Maybe I'm still at the sense of loss stage where things seem to have an emotional attachment. 

I couldn't give a damn about the washing machine, but that little cut glass jug ... 

If in doubt take it ...    You don't have to keep it.    I had my dad's war medals and wedding ring ...     Let the rest of em fight over the rest of it including the house.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

If in doubt take it ...    You don't have to keep it.    I had my dad's war medals and wedding ring ...     Let the rest of em fight over the rest of it including the house.

What war did he fight in, CF?

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

What war did he fight in, CF?

Number 2 Bucey ...   Was involved all over Europe and the D Day landings ....    His ships gun is outside the imperial war museum and we didn't realise till after his death ...   :(

Just now, Countryfox said:

Number 2 Bucey ...   Was involved all over Europe and the D Day landings ....    His ships gun is outside the imperial war museum and we didn't realise till after his death ...   :(

Mine too, CF.

Wouldn't it be weird if they'd known each other?

If I put my laptop in a suitcase that's going in the cabin hold on a flight, how likely is it to be damaged? I've heard some recommending you should take it as a carry on because there could be so much weight from the other cases on top of it. Will it be alright if I stick it in the middle between all my clothes? lol

Edited by Kitchandro

1 minute ago, Kitchandro said:

If I put my laptop in a suitcase that's going in the cabin hold on a flight, how likely is it to be damaged? I've heard some recommending you should take it as a carry on because there could be so much weight from the other cases on top of it. Will it be alright if I stick it in the middle between all my clothes? lol

I'm not sure you're allowed to put laptops in your hand luggage anymore so you're going to have to. I normally wrap stuff like that in towels.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Will be fine providing it's in the middle of all your clothes. On the edge though and you are taking chances.

I was once that pissed on a flight I left a laptop in the netting on the back of a seat in front.

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Breakfast in London.

Lunch in New York.

Luggage in Bermuda.

I'd keep it as cabin luggage.

On 02/07/2017 at 19:24, Countryfox said:

This. Good idea. When my grandma died i had a number of things as i was starting out. You might be surprised what some of them want.

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

quite likely to be damaged considering every baggage handler does not care for the contents inside the bags they chuck about lol 

Probably easier to take it on as carry-on? Check with your airline if you can take it on as well as hand-luggage. 

30 minutes ago, StanSP said:

quite likely to be damaged considering every baggage handler does not care for the contents inside the bags they chuck about lol 

Probably easier to take it on as carry-on? Check with your airline if you can take it on as well as hand-luggage. 

I've checked Easyjet and it doesn't really mention laptops even when I search the word, so I assume you can do what you like.

It will be a pain in the arse carrying it round with the big cabin bag as well (after the flight) but maybe it's best to take no chances.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

Oh, I didn't realise he was RN.

My old man saw D-Day as part of the 6th Airborne Division.

The clue was in 'ships gun' ..   :thumbup:

In that case they probably didn't know each other ...    And unless either of them had fantastic eyesight they probably didn't see each other either ! ....  :)

Just now, Countryfox said:

The clue was in 'ships gun' ..   :thumbup:

In that case they probably didn't know each other ...    And unless either of them had fantastic eyesight they probably didn't see each other either ! ....  :)

Sorry, mate - I just saw the DD landings/all over Europe and somehow missed the next bit.

A bloody hero, all the same.

13 minutes ago, Beliall said:

High posting rate, many replies

More specific, please: how is 'high' or 'many' defined?

For example the Politics thread has just become HOT. Why now and not before?

Edit: So has the Funny Pictures thread.

Edit again: Now Politics is not HOT.

Somebody please explain.

Edited by Buce