Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Oh I do think Netbank itself is a legit company but this email looks just awful, like a 10 year old had gone mad with Microsoft word and paint etc.

Final nail in the coffin was the contact number she gave as hers last night matches exactly to a Mr Joudais Borjan, supposedly Netbank's online transfer manager, I am guessing she didn't think I would notice as it was in tiny letters and numbers close to the bottom..ah well.

Fair enough.

Best left alone.

2 hours ago, Beliall said:

that link looks like a scam site to be honest lol 

lol I didn't look at it, tbh - I was just using it as an example in case he didn't know what an escrow service was.

I use escrow services quite frequently when I'm doing business with a previously unknown (to me) foreign company. All quite legit.

17 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Just a quick one

Selling a phone on Gumtree and have received full asking price off somebody with a London Address, phone number, name etc who will pay directly by bank transfer in the morning shortly before I send the phone, she is even paying £15 extra for posting.

I always say tell the scammers who offer to pay by paypal to clear off but am wondering what are the risks of receiving and pulling out the money of a instant bank transfer? Obviously I'm aware she will have my sort code and account number.

Anybody dealt on Gumtree this way? Any probs or plain sailing?

It's a scam mate, had the same on eBay. Always pay over the full asking price and want it sent to London or to a different country and none of the names match up, you then get an email saying you need to post it before you recieve payment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

If Stephen Hawking is so clever why does he have a voice like a bloody Dalek ....     Why not have a voice like Roger Moore or another silky voiced star of the silver screen ????

It's because the technology was primitive at the time and then when he was offered a more human sounding voice he decided he'd prefer to keep the one he has.

2 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

It's because the technology was primitive at the time and then when he was offered a more human sounding voice he decided he'd prefer to keep the one he has.

Fair enough ...   But he needn't start bleating if he can't pull the birds with a voice like that ...

• Like 1

Does anyone know much about customs charges on parcels from America? On the royal mail and government website it says that anything below £135 won't be charged customs, but I've had a package delivered that's worth about 40 odd quid and been given £20 customs charges.

6 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Does anyone know much about customs charges on parcels from America? On the royal mail and government website it says that anything below £135 won't be charged customs, but I've had a package delivered that's worth about 40 odd quid and been given £20 customs charges.

I've bought tons of stuff off ebay usa and I've never paid customs charges.

9 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Who did you say the parcel or reason for.  I have e had goods from the US, I was told by customs, for gifts, anything under £35 does not have any charges

9 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Who did you say the parcel or reason for.  I have e had goods from the US, I was told by customs, for gifts, anything under £35 does not have any charges

It was bought from a retailer and wouldn't have been marked as high value goods or a gift.

Edited by Samilktray

21 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I've ignored those in the past and not a lot has happened.

unless you're regularly getting things imported, you're probably safe to quietly plead ignorance - at £20 it's not worth anyone's time in pursuing.

I'm going interrailing round Europe soon and we will need 4 different currencies; Euros, and those in Croatia, the Czech Republic and Hungary.

What is the best way to carry money around, especially given the need for currency changes? There have been suggestions of debit cards, travellers' cheques and special cards for cash withdrawal abroad.

Also does anyone have any other tips for interrailing? Eg we'll be mainly wearing shorts but I guess we need jeans for clubs, whether hostels generally offer laundry, anything else we may have missed. I am also asking Google all of these questions but if anyone has been that would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, theessexfox said:

I'm going interrailing round Europe soon and we will need 4 different currencies; Euros, and those in Croatia, the Czech Republic and Hungary.

What is the best way to carry money around, especially given the need for currency changes? There have been suggestions of debit cards, travellers' cheques and special cards for cash withdrawal abroad.

Also does anyone have any other tips for interrailing? Eg we'll be mainly wearing shorts but I guess we need jeans for clubs, whether hostels generally offer laundry, anything else we may have missed. I am also asking Google all of these questions but if anyone has been that would be much appreciated.

Update: looks like Monzo is my best bet, seems like a very very good service.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Is there any/much difference in quality of taste between soft drinks in bottled and canned materials?

Not done any scientific research... but a personal preference is coke from a chilled can rather than a plastic bottle. Equally, given the choice between a canned beer/cider or a glass bottle, I'd go for the bottle. 

There probably is something in what you say mind, given you have different kinds of glasses for wine and spirits. What you drink from will effect flow, oxidisation and temperature and secondary senses in taste such as the look and smell.

54 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Not done any scientific research... but a personal preference is coke from a chilled can rather than a plastic bottle. Equally, given the choice between a canned beer/cider or a glass bottle, I'd go for the bottle. 

There probably is something in what you say mind, given you have different kinds of glasses for wine and spirits. What you drink from will effect flow, oxidisation and temperature and secondary senses in taste such as the look and smell.

Coke from a glass bottle is better than coke from a can or plastic bottle. Of course coke is bad for us but well so we live a little huh :)

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Update: looks like Monzo is my best bet, seems like a very very good service.

Monzo is good, I use Monzo all the time and looking forward to them converting to current accounts now they have the license. Was under the impression they weren't doing new sign ups given them converting but I'm probably wrong. 

I have used Revolut for foreign currency, think you get a slightly better rate but had to pay for delivery.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

Monzo is good, I use Monzo all the time and looking forward to them converting to current accounts now they have the license. Was under the impression they weren't doing new sign ups given them converting but I'm probably wrong. 

I have used Revolut for foreign currency, think you get a slightly better rate but had to pay for delivery.

Yeah thank you, I skipped the waiting list for Monzo because of a link on moneysavingexpert. I looked at Revolut too, but Monzo had a higher withdrawal limit per day and was going to get here on time - I left it quite late!

4 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Is there any/much difference in quality of taste between soft drinks in bottled and canned materials?

I only know that beer companies consider bottled drinks to be the premium product - hence the higher prices - but can't otherwise answer directly....

Not quite sure where to put this, but it's a question so figured the questions thread would work. 

I'm seeing the bank next week about my first ever mortgage (Yay) all I need now is a solicitor. None of my family know of any, wondering if anyone knows of one around the Thurmaston/surrounding areas that's any good? Obviously prefer cheap and cheerful :thumbup: