Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

56 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Got a job interview over skype on friday, anyone got any tips? 

Test your Skype connection with a friend beforehand and make sure you've downloaded all updates in advance (I got caught out once when I couldn't start the Skype session on time as I had to wait for an update to download - embarrassing)

Make sure you've got enough bandwidth if you don't have fibre broadband. I have to switch off all other wi-fi devices before I use Skype/Hangout to ensure the quality is half decent. Check your camera/microphone etc. is all working correctly.

Make the Skype call from a 'well lit' area. They'll want to see your beautiful, smiling face so make sure you have a Chaz & Dave and comb your hair beforehand :D

Make an effort to look smart even though it's not face to face. First impressions and all that...

Take down the Pirelli calendar or make sure there's nothing offensive behind you. Do your Skype in front of your bookcase so you look educated :D

Apart from all that, just the usual interview stuff really. Be prepared to give examples of when you at your best/worst etc. and have plenty of questions lined up in advance.

Check Google/LinkedIn of the person/people interviewing you, and obviously do your research on the company.

Good luck and just be yourself really - everyone else is already taken :)

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

9 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Test your Skype connection with a friend beforehand and make sure you've downloaded all updates in advance (I got caught out once when I couldn't start the Skype session on time as I had to wait for an update to download - embarrassing)

Make sure you've got enough bandwidth if you don't have fibre broadband. I have to switch off all other wi-fi devices before I use Skype/Hangout to ensure the quality is half decent. Check your camera/microphone etc. is all working correctly.

Make the Skype call from a 'well lit' area. They'll want to see your beautiful, smiling face so make sure you have a Chaz & Dave and comb your hair beforehand :D

Make an effort to look smart even though it's not face to face. First impressions and all that...

Take down the Pirelli calendar or make sure there's nothing offensive behind you. Do your Skype in front of your bookcase so you look educated :D

Apart from all that, just the usual interview stuff really. Be prepared to give examples of when you at your best/worst etc. and have plenty of questions lined up in advance.

Check Google/LinkedIn of the person/people interviewing you, and obviously do your research on the company.

Good luck and just be yourself really - everyone else is already taken :)

Image result for south park pc guy

• Like 4

Well it's finally happened, caught speeding. No defence or berating please, I know it's wrong.

Last bank holiday Friday driving from 7 in the morning stuck in traffic all late afternoon and at 6.30 with still 2 hours to get back to Leicester there they are. Dual carriageway filters to single lane so I get to overtake as do the several cars behind me right up my tail.

They know what they are doing and it's £100 or speed awareness thingy.

£100 will hurt but I've done 50K miles a year since my early 20's. That's over a million miles up and down the country accident free and point free. I've seen some bad stuff in my time and I'm still overtaken in the snow, ice and past schools but never get angry. I think @DB11 does some miles too.  I drive loads of unfamiliar roads every week so could possibly get caught again.
My question is: if I take the course and get fined again do they throw the big fine at you or pay the fine and if I get prosecuted again I am then able to take the course and avoid the big weeks wages fine?

3 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

Well it's finally happened, caught speeding. No defence or berating please, I know it's wrong.

Last bank holiday Friday driving from 7 in the morning stuck in traffic all late afternoon and at 6.30 with still 2 hours to get back to Leicester there they are. Dual carriageway filters to single lane so I get to overtake as do the several cars behind me right up my tail.

£100 will hurt but I've done 50K miles a year since my early 20's. That's over a million miles up and down the country accident free and point free. I've seen some bad stuff in my time and I'm still overtaken in the snow, ice and past schools but never get angry. I think @DB11 does some miles too.  I drive loads of unfamiliar roads every week so could possibly get caught again.
My question is: if I take the course and get fined again do they throw the big fine at you or pay the fine and if I get prosecuted again I am then able to take the course and avoid the big weeks wages fine?

Where's the option to slow down?

7 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

Criminal.  Throw him in jail and toss away the keys. You animal!

lol $hit happens.

10 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

Take the course and then if you get caught again within three years the course is not an option so the penalty would be based on whatever your speed was (in comparison to the speed limit)

if you get caught again after three years then the course becomes an option (providing you're within the threshold and not going too fast)

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

You can't take the course within three years of committing the same offence, iirc. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 03:45, Bayfox said:

Some good points all the points we have been over. 

To me 500 quid is not a moot point. Its 6k a year. If disciplined thats 6k of the mortgage.

I'm majority owner of my company so although solvent i have no idea what i could walk away with. Looked at getting out 2 years ago but the liquidation process is a complicated issue. And means i could end up banned from being a director of another business meaning setting up on my own again doing anything could be a no go.

And if i decided to go for a job i have no idea how that would look to employers. I've been doing the same thing since i was 19. 19 years in nov.

I've done the part time thing a few times but now we have 2 kids i have a different outlook on that as i need to see the kids.

I know i am being selfish and we are a partnership thats how our relationship works. But i feel i have done my bit over the years and now it has fell on her due to how hard she has worked to maybe help back.

Lifes a bitch at times. Really difficult dilemma.

And here's me asking for advice on ft. :ph34r:

If she is happy..id be very careful suggesting or encouraging a move.  Cant win situation

12 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I am going to uni next year, and so need a student bank account with a 0% overdraft. Should I visit my current bank (Santander), to get it changed, or would it be best to switch banks to one with a larger 0% overdraft limit? And how easy is it to change banks?

Make an appointment with your bank manager to discuss your options, and pick up some leaflets from other banks and building societies to see what they offer. changing bank is really easy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I am going to uni next year, and so need a student bank account with a 0% overdraft. Should I visit my current bank (Santander), to get it changed, or would it be best to switch banks to one with a larger 0% overdraft limit? And how easy is it to change banks?

Switching is very easy these days. Do some comparisons and go for the best deal its easy. Most banks offer accounts aimed at students with various incentives. They want your business.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Go with wherever you can get the biggest overdraft. I know a lot of people that went with Santander because of the free railcard but have had trouble with overdrafts. Obviously you don't want to use your overdraft, certainly not loads of it, but its always useful to have.

Switching is easy tho i never bothered so actually have both a HSBC and Natwest student accounts. Technically against the rules but don't use the Natwest one anyway

Edit: Overdraft was very useful to me after second term when rent was due but student loan was still a month away because it's over  a 4 month wait after Jan payment. Particularlt useful in London. I believe youre off to Cambridge so if its like my friends at Oxford, things are structured to be more student friendly.

Edited by KingGTF
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, davieG said:

Why do washing and dish-washing machines have so many programmes? Has anyone ever used more than 2 of them?

My dishwasher has 2 settings, slow and not clean. 

But that's teenagers for you

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, davieG said:

Why do washing and dish-washing machines have so many programmes? Has anyone ever used more than 2 of them?

I've wondered this before, too. moved house at the start of the month and the new washer has got 15 different modes as well as 3 "fast" modes and a few drier options too. terrified what my gear is going to come out looking like every time I press a button. 

3 hours ago, KingGTF said:

Go with wherever you can get the biggest overdraft. I know a lot of people that went with Santander because of the free railcard but have had trouble with overdrafts. Obviously you don't want to use your overdraft, certainly not loads of it, but its always useful to have.

Switching is easy tho i never bothered so actually have both a HSBC and Natwest student accounts. Technically against the rules but don't use the Natwest one anyway

Edit: Overdraft was very useful to me after second term when rent was due but student loan was still a month away because it's over  a 4 month wait after Jan payment. Particularlt useful in London. I believe youre off to Cambridge so if its like my friends at Oxford, things are structured to be more student friendly.

Thank you, and to others who replied, I will bear it in mind and probably switch over summer.

Hopefully I'm off to Cambridge! 3 exams left, and I couldn't have asked for much more so far. 

Just a quick one

Selling a phone on Gumtree and have received full asking price off somebody with a London Address, phone number, name etc who will pay directly by bank transfer in the morning shortly before I send the phone, she is even paying £15 extra for posting.

I always say tell the scammers who offer to pay by paypal to clear off but am wondering what are the risks of receiving and pulling out the money of a instant bank transfer? Obviously I'm aware she will have my sort code and account number.

Anybody dealt on Gumtree this way? Any probs or plain sailing?

40 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Just a quick one

Selling a phone on Gumtree and have received full asking price off somebody with a London Address, phone number, name etc who will pay directly by bank transfer in the morning shortly before I send the phone, she is even paying £15 extra for posting.

I always say tell the scammers who offer to pay by paypal to clear off but am wondering what are the risks of receiving and pulling out the money of a instant bank transfer? Obviously I'm aware she will have my sort code and account number.

Anybody dealt on Gumtree this way? Any probs or plain sailing?

Make sure its sold as a business transaction and you will be covered. Not sure who pays the fee for that but the extra £15 will easily cover it and postage if its you that has to pay the charge. If its sent as a gift it could be charged back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beliall said:

Make sure its sold as a business transaction and you will be covered. Not sure who pays the fee for that but the extra £15 will easily cover it and postage if its you that has to pay the charge. If its sent as a gift it could be charged back.

Thanks for your reply, seemed to good to be true and indeed was a scam, I receive an email from "Netbank" confirming full payment but that funds will not be released into my account until I had sent proof that the item was on its way lol yeak ok then!

3 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Thanks for your reply, seemed to good to be true and indeed was a scam, I receive an email from "Netbank" confirming full payment but that funds will not be released into my account until I had sent proof that the item was on its way lol yeak ok then!

Is Netbank an escrow service, though?

http://time.com/money/collection-post/2792060/how-does-an-escrow-account-work/

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Oh I do think Netbank itself is a legit company but this email looks just awful, like a 10 year old had gone mad with Microsoft word and paint etc.

Final nail in the coffin was the contact number she gave as hers last night matches exactly to a Mr Joudais Borjan, supposedly Netbank's online transfer manager, I am guessing she didn't think I would notice as it was in tiny letters and numbers close to the bottom..ah well.