Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

Player Ratings v Man City

Guest BlueBrett
Only 7 of those 11 would make a Premiership side; Naughton, Hobbs, Bamba, Berner, Wellens and Vassell

That's only 6.

What about captain fantastic?!

Weale 8 Reliable all round game, should keep the shirt on todays performance.

Naughton 8 Steady game

Hobbs 8 Jack the lad, never lets us down.

Bamba 9.5 What a find, great to have a goal scoring centre back.

Berner 8 Hope he stays at City, loved by the fans.

Abe 9 Terrific game, now looks to have settled into English game.

Wellens 10 MOM Awsome display!

King 8 Quiet game by his usual standards

Gallagher 8.5 Best game this season?

Vassell 8 Tried hard, worked hard. A good signing by Sven.

Dyer 8 Some good play at times, deserves his place in team.

Sven 12/10 Don't ya just love him?! Obvious that the Man City fans also loved him too.

Weale 8 (Match saving save from De Jong and another from Tevez weren't his only contributions in what seemed a pretty faultless but not over-busy display considering who we were up against).

Naughton 7 (Decent shift with some good and less so).

Hobbs 7 (Coped quite well although they got behind us and between us far too easily on occasions. Missed a comparatively easy header by committing the cardinal sin of not hitting the target).

Bamba 8.5 (Goal on his debut and three headers cleared off the line among so much more. See above for the downside).

Berner 7 (Up against it particularly in the first half. Milner had the freedom to run across the edge of our box barely challenged for his goal - others should have helped - but he stuck to his task and made one or two dangerous runs and passes going forward. I won't fault him for the corner that led to the Tevez goal because he was left exposed by his team-mates and had no chance. For me Wellens or Abe should probably have been the other man defending the short corner but certainly someone should have taken responsibility.).

Abe 8 (Immense in most phases. A genuine high-energy Premiership standard performance and took the responsibility to shoot, bringing one excellent save and having our one big chance to win the game which he sadly his high and wide).

Wellens 8.25 (Combative, probing, played the whole game with attitude and commitment and not a little finesse. Not perfect though and the question of responsibility for the short corner comes into that.).

King 7.5 (Another goal, made an excellent run too which Wellens spotted but sadly failed with his attempt to deftly chip the goalkeeper. Made other contributions too but, unusually, his passing was a bit short of his best).

Gallagher 8 (Corners were accurate and it looked as if some thought had gone into them. Involved too in King's goal so an effective day with a reasonable amount of sweat too).

Vassell 7.5 (Perhaps better than he sometimes looked. Never gave the big Manchester defenders a moment's peace with his clever and selfless running. Was absolutely knackered when taken off - and rubbing the back of his thigh so I hope he's not hurt.)

Dyer 7 (Also ran himself to a standstill but just failed to shake off good markers sufficiently to make a breakthrough).

Subs weren't really relevent although I was sad we had to change the team at all cos they were doing so well. However Sven had no sensible alternative. The guys he took off were right out of gas.

Proud of the team for giving us all a great afternoon out and making such a positive statement about our club.

Love the great reviews for Bamba, cannot wait for the highlights tonight. :scarf:

For us he was never a major threat for set-pieces, but 6 shots is incredible. :unsure: Hearing of his interceptions, reading the play brilliantly and playing from defence is his massive attribute that made me love him.

Well done Sol. :thumbup:

Weale- 8 - Some fantastic saves; haven't seen highlights yet to decide on his part in their 2nd.

Naughton- 8 - Up and down that right-hand side, supporting the attack and DEFENDING VERY WELL.

Bamba- 9 - Great debut; good goal- and a MASSIVE threat from set-pieces. Again, not seen highlights but sure he was taken rather easily for their 1st.

Hobbs- 7- Solid at the back, but missed a very good chance.

Berner- 8- Again very solid, and supported the attack well too.

Abe- 8- Done his job well imo. Received some criticism but doing very well.

Wellens- 10- MOTM- Absolutely fantastic. Nuff said.

King- 9- Another vital goal, in the right place at the right time. Great run (think it was him) which led to what was so close to a penalty.

Dyer- 8- Played well, worked hard to close down.

Vassell- 8- Decent performance again.

Gallagher- 9- MUCH better performance from him. Got some good crosses in from corners- but was better in open play too.

Delighted for everyone associated with the club as we more than matched our opponents and gave them a real good run for their tons of money!

Stand-out players for me were, as others have chosen, Bamba and Wellens.

What a way to mark your debut with your first touch as well as it being in the first minute! It would have been the perfect debut had he not let Milner through, but other than that slight lapse in concentration, he had Tevez and Jo in his pocket with countless tackles and interceptions. Wellens bossed the midfield. Vieira and De Jong couldn't work out how to play him and Wellens was the heart of our play. It was a seriously exciting match to watch. At times either team could have sealed a win, especially Man City with Johnson missing an open goal, but you have to ride your luck sometimes. We could have even won it and Bamba could have had 5 goals!

Special mentions to Gallagher and Weale too. Gallagher provided some brilliant deliveries for Bamba to attack on from corners. And of course Weale kept us in the match with the awesome save from De Jong's shot.

Would have been the sweetest way to end the weekend with a win, but don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the result and the performance as a whole.

Whole team:

YM-credit-rating-c_1006023c.jpg

Comments:

Weale: Great save at 2-2. Not at fault for either goal.

Berner: Excellent performance facing some of the most dangerous opponents any defender could have to face.

Hobbs: Perhaps should have scored, but very solid at the back, dealt with Tevez well.

Bamba: :wub: Absolute beast. Dominated Jo in every way possible, could have bagged a hat trick if not for some frantic last ditch defending.

Naughton: Excellent defending, which isn't the side of Naughton's game that we get to see too often. Still managed to get forward on occasions, to good effect.

Abe: Good job he didn't score that long range left footed stonker, I'd have spontaneously combusted. Covered every blade of grass. Unlucky with the first goal, looked a foul by Milner to me, he just shoved Yuki off the ball. Great ball that was just nicked away from Vassell in the second half.

Wellens: Battled to a standstill, took on the likes of Viera and De Jong, and came out battered with his head held high. Classy touches at time, and inches away from earning a penalty.

King: Deployed deeper than recently in the first half, got through plenty of defensive work. Popped up with the crucial goal, as usual. Not always noticeble, but guaranteed to always be giving it his all.

Dyer: A lot of good defensive work, and tried to threaten the Man City defense when he could. Great run into the box that ended with a shot screwed high when closed down by 3 back peddling defenders.

Vassell: Lead the line with aplomb, troubling a very expensively assembled back line. Tireless performance. Earned the throw in in the first minute that eventually lead to the corner and goal, and on a free transfer looks to be the bargain of the century, unless Bamba carries on like today. :D

Gallagher: Get your collectors book out everyone, today we saw the lesser spotted combative Paul Gallagher performance. Got stuck in, chased about a lot, and put in quality deliveries for both goals. Lovely.

Subs:

Waghorn: Worked hard when he came on.

Howard: Not on long.

Neilson: Clean sheet whilst he was on :D

Agreeing of course with everyone elses opinions, I also thought that Gallagher was much improved on what he has been in the average league game. Not only on the ball but mainly off it. Chasing people down and actually making challenges, he looked up for it. If his work rate and determination was at that level for every game combined with his technical ability he would go from being a good player to a very good player, it just galvonised my thinking that it's his apparent lack of effort that usually lets him down more than anything.

Without going into individual ratings and decimals, I don't really think that any deserved less than an 8 (except possibly Dyer and King on a 7 or so). Great team performance.

Not a bad performance by anyone today, I felt so proud of my team!

Weale - do we need a new keeper? Bamba - between him and Wellens for MOTM! Hobbs - who needs Davies? Naughton - we sooooo need to get him permanently! BRUNO! BRUNO! BRUNO! KIng - he scored! Dyer, probably least effective of all the City players, but did nothing wrong. Yuki - he's here, he's there, he's EVERYWHERE! Gally - worked tirelessly, some great overlapping with Bruno. Vassell - had the beating of their defence all day and they were scared! And lastly, step up Mr Wellens who seemed to be hit every pass, beating players for fun and putting in some ferocious challenges... MOTM!

:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

Weale - 8 - That De Jong save was quality.

Naughton - 8

Hobbs - 8.5 - Him and Sol had Tevez in their bac-pockets! Should of taken his chance from that corner though.

Sol - 9.5 - Beast.

Berner - 8

Gallagher - 7 - His delivery is a 10 though.

Wellens - 9.5

King - 8.5

Abe - 6.5/7

Dyer - 7.5

Vassel - 8.5

Weale 7.5 - No chance with the first, not so sure about the second. Two cracking saves from De Jong and Tevez at the death and even very respectable distribution

Naughton 8 - What a bundle of energy!! Kept their left side very quiet first half and offered great support going forward. Showed great skill a few times in the second half turning a Man City player and sprinting to win a corner off Kolarov. Did get exposed late in the game with the few counter attacks Man City could muster.

Hobbs 7 - Should've hit the target. Unlike what many are saying here, I think Tevez caused him many problems. He held his ground well and was a strong presence at the back but I was biting my nails every time Man City attacked with pace. As Thracian said, they did get behind us a bit too often. However taking the opposition into consideration and the way he helped restrict them to a handful of chances he gets marked up a bit

Bamba 8,5 - Not much to say which hasn't already been raved about on here. A beast and did very well at the back too. The way he stormed up to intercept and dispossess Tevez at the half way line around our good spell second half was sublime!

Berner 6,5 - Had a torrid time first half and looked every bit the limited player he is. Our weakest link today, but that said he still held his ground well. Mixed bag going forward, but his one surging run forward with the ball was a joy to behold. Improved no end in the second half, but that might also have been a consequence of Man City changing formation.

Abe 8 - Monstrous first half. Looked so classy and was at the heart of the purposeful one touch passing game we did so well first half. Partly at fault for Milner's goal, not noticing his run behind him/getting shrugged off. Played a more subdued role second half, mainly because we were camped inside their half for the first 20-25 minutes, but still found time and space to get forward on one or two occasions. Thrilled we have a player of his quality in the team.

Wellens 9 - Decent first half, was quietly efficient and set up King for that chip. Had an extremely good second half and the way he seemed to toy with Vieira, De Jong and co verged on the unbelievable. Was everywhere, found blue shirts nearly every time, no end of energy and was simply electric. He is a fantastic player to watch on those days.

King 7,5 - Had a frustrating first half, trying to move about a lot and making things happen but it rarely paid off. Upped his game considerably second half though and did what he does best when ghosting into the box like that. Showed fantastic commitment and put in a really good shift at the back as well. Such a talent though, and I only believe he will get even better and more effective in the future.

Gallagher 7,5 - The Danish commentators had a 5-minute wankfest over him at the start of the second half, I kid you not, saying things like him having unusually great technique for a Championship level player and hitting a Leicester player just about from every set piece. Of course, that's when the curse kicked in and he faded quite a lot. Put in a great shift though, provided the ammo for the Bomba and was generally very lively. Fantastic pass for Dyer's chance at the start of the second half!

Vassell 7.5 - Tireless up front and felt a bit sorry that he didn't get any proper sight of goal, but led the line well and provided an essential outlet.

Dyer 7,5 - Was our one direct threat and despite showing up as the limited technical player he is, he nevertheless did great against a mean defence. Yes, they read him a lot of the time, but he did so well to hang on to the ball and keep it moving and was even effective on the right wing. Seemed to have a very good understanding with Naughton too and did his share in the defensive work as well. Good run for his chance in the second half too.

Waggy disappointed a lot. He looked well out of sorts, and apart from one good dribble down the right which unfortunately ended with a poor pass, did nothing in the way of positive play. Got caught in possession too a couple of times.

Howard didn't get a chance to make much of an impression. By this time the legs were tiring and the support from the midfield was understandably not at the same level.

Weale - 8 - Some good saves. Good quick distribution for the most part too.

Naughton - 8.5 - Its great to have a fullback where its not a case of balancing attacking talent and defensive solidity, as he was quality all-round today.

Bamba - 9 - Its all been said already, but I just hope he can keep it up as that's set rather a high standard. MOTM, clearly.

Hobbs - 8 - Solid enough.

Berner - 8 - All-action performance; it might have lacked the graceful efficiency of Abe, but I can't think of much to fault him for other than being done for pace a couple of times.

Wellens - 8.5 - I've never been Wellens' biggest fan in the past, but this showed what he's all about - he did everything today, and did it well.

Abe - 9 - OK, so he could have done better in that 50/50 in the lead up to their first, but other than that it was a sublime showing - a few good tackles but mostly it was about his unbelievably good reading of the game. When they had the ball, he intercepted everything, when we had it he was always in the right positions . No flashy passes, but they were all quick, accurate and smartly chosen. <3

King - 8 - One of the weaker showings, but that's just being relative - he still had a good game. Some nice runs and generally effective everywhere.

Gallagher - 8 - Wasn't always successful with what he was doing, but even when it wasn't going his way he didn't go missing. Some really good play.

Vassell - 9 - Incisive; always made himself available and battled well.

Dyer - 8 - Wreaked havoc at times, other times, not so much but overall caused them far more trouble than I was expecting.

Waghorn - 7 - Worked hard but didn't look sharp enough.

Howard - 6 - Fought, but outclassed.

Great confident team performance. passing clicked, passionate players, worked so hard and deserved the result we got. could easily of won it.

Weale - 8

Berner - 8 pretty heroic passionate performance.

Naughton - 8.5 showed the class he has. would love him to sign a the end of the season.

Hobbs - 8.5 held his own against world class opponents.

Bamba - 8.5 what a debut.

Abe - 8.5 so important for us.

Wellens - 9 on top of his game. should be proud of himself.

King - 8.5 did what he does best.

Gallagher - 8 has the ability to create important chances and was more effective than he usually is.

Vassell - 8 the key man up front. showed his experience and skill.

Dyer - 8 was frustrated that he didn't do more, but worked so hard and caused them lots of problems.

subs (Hate to be a party pooper, but the only negative i can take from today is that i am not confident that our strikers on the bench are quite doing the job for us at the moment, i know this is a bit rich considering the barely played. i just feel like we need another quality forward after today. basically, i'm glad sven is trying to bring in players like Yakubu.)

Waghorn- didnt notice him making much of an impact. much like many of his recent appearances from the bench

Howard - looked out of his depth although didnt have long to get going.

Neilsen - N/A

Archived