Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Elders Scrolls V Skyrim

Might get both, I've been wanting to go back on runescape since we all ditched it in year 6 but I just can't bring myself to do it haha

I missed out on some class games simply by being too young to either play or buy them :(

Not entirely sure what that has to do with anything. It's easily the best Elder Scroll game in terms of story, enjoy the combat system a lot much better too. Only major downside in comparison to the latter releases is the size of the map and the actual graphics.

And the gameplay, morrowind... If you can equip and swing a sword first time without chopping both your legs off then you're clearly cheating.

Not played Skyrim for a while, might have to have a bash this week. After having it for a few years and doing 150 or so hours game time I've not got halfway through the story. Not even joined a side in the civil war yet and never been bored. Just been steady cracking skulls and breaking hearts along with generally living it up with my wife, my ho's and pal's dotted around the map, my animals and adopted children. Oh the adventures, fun and drama we've had.

I reckon that even if I do another 100 hours I likely still wouldn't finish the main story. There's a lot to see, do and hear I tell thee.

Two tips for new players are

1: When you get to level 14 remember to visit different pubs until you encounter a bloke called Sam. You want his thing.

2: When you've got a few lady followers make sure to get Falmer Armour for them to wear when you take them out bounty hunting so that everyone you encounter knows you are a f*&king pimp.

I have so much money that I rarely even bother picking up/selling loot.

I think the easiest skill to repeatedly legendary would be conjuration. Just start off every fight by summoning a Storm Atronach Thrall.

Alteration too might be easy, again, start off every fight by casting Dragonhide.

My back storage room at Fort Lakeview is a gold mine. I pick up all gold and stash it there. Hundreds of thousands of gold coins protected by Rayya and Uthgerd all tooled up, a dog, a hos and a bard.

I forget what skill it is (illusion probably), but I cast courage on all people, chickens and cows I pass in towns and villages which increases that skill quite quickly. It'd be good early on for levelling up a few ranks.

Had it on PS3, had a few different characters as I could never really choose my favourite but found the Wood Elf Archer was the best choice by far, joining the Assassin's Guild and going around dungeons wiping out Draugrs before they even knew you were there was boss, I'd never actually lose any health until the big lad at the end lol

Bust my beast of a PS3 after 6 years last summer though, but got a PC instead, so I'll look to pick it up for fvck all next time there's a Steam/Bethesda sale on with all the DLCs, as I never managed to get any of them.

I actually tried to play it again a few months ago (barely played it after release) with a graphics "overhaul" mod as well and I'm sure it looked pretty dated (I remember it being very nice at the time) although it didn't make much sense for it to be as bad as it seemed.

To be fair I also had a mod that let you choose where you spawn so it could have been a particularly ugly obscure area (was a random bandit tower and the surrounding area) or maybe the graphics mod actually made it worse, but both seems pretty unlikely? It wasn't horrendous but graphics and combat physics seemed nothing like I remember and I closed it after about 10 mins.

Dunno, I'll probably give it another go eventually.

Edited by Kent

If you thought skyrim with texture mods looked ugly you were doing it wrong.

Google skyrim ultra HD screenshots.

Yeah that's what didn't make sense. To me if the mods weren't installed correctly it'd be completely broken, and if not then it should have looked great. Maybe it was just a poorly designed area that I happened to spawn to, god knows.

Edit: either that or I somehow had dogshit settings on

Do the combat physics seem dated to you now compared to when it was first released? Feel like re-installing to see what the deal is with it.

Edited by Kent

Oh combat gameplay is shit in most Bethesda games. That's not really why you play Skyrim and Fallout, though.

If it looked hideous it'll be your rig and settings. You can install 4k textures but if you tone your settings down enough it'll still look balls.

You'd be much better off getting it on PC, no idea how people can play this game vanilla 

If you have a half decent rig. If you don't give a toss about mods you're probably better on a console.

It's a console port so it performs much better on console than PC, in fairness.

I'd always advocate PC for the mods, mind, where possible. 

I'm currently playing Skyrim on PC with mods and it does look stunning for an open world game. Only problem I've found with it is the frame rate in cities and towns are all over the place. 

If you have a half decent rig. If you don't give a toss about mods you're probably better on a console.

It's a console port so it performs much better on console than PC, in fairness.

I'd always advocate PC for the mods, mind, where possible. 

Even if you have a modest rig, it's still very much worth getting for additional gameplay mods and quest mods, the elder scrolls modding community is pretty much second to none really. 

Is the Elder Scrolls Online any good?

As an Elder Scrolls game it's terrible, as a basic MMO it's alright, never played it on console mind, I've heard it's a lot better on console.

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

I'm currently playing Skyrim on PC with mods and it does look stunning for an open world game. Only problem I've found with it is the frame rate in cities and towns are all over the place.

Do you have any performance / optimisation mods?