Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Elders Scrolls V Skyrim

If any PC gamers have been put off this game because, like me, their PC's are laggy at even the lowest settings, or if you just want to up your framerate, I have a solution for you: Turn off the shadows! You can't do this using the video settings for some reason, but it's very, very simple:

Step 1: Open Documents>My Games>Skyrim>SkyrimPrefs using notepad(it should use notepad automatically anyway). Important: Don't use a text editor with font settings. Also important: Use only this file, not the SkyrimPrefs in Steamapps>Common>Skyrim.

Step 2: Do a ctrl+f for "shadow".

Step 3: Set the value for all terms with "shadow" in to 0 EXCEPT "ishadowMapResolution=512" or whatever it =on your system. I don't know why, but it causes jitteriness if set to 0, undoing all your hard work.

Step 4: Enjoy your smoother Skyrim experience!

NB: If you fiddle with your video settings afterwards, make sure to check SkyrimPrefs again, as some shadow terms have a tendency to reset even if you don't touch the shadow settings, lowering the framerate. If that still isn't enough you can look through the file and intuit how to get rid of, or lower the requirements for other settings. Don't forget to make a note of the commands you're altering though, just in case something goes wrong and the game bugs out (you never know).

Edited by BoxingFoxes

I am sadly role-playing my waythrough, as a Redguard (Never played Redguard) battle-mage. Skyrim doesn't have classes like the old games, so I'm just basically sticking to the Companions and College of Winterhold storylines. Up to level 44 and hardly touched the main storyline. One weird thing is each time we get a new ES game they alweays say how much bigger it is than the last one, but it seems to take just as long to travel around Skyrim as it does Cyrodil or even Vardenfal. The interiors seem much bigger though, I'll give them that.

Plan to play through again as a Khajit and go for the Thieves and Dark Brotherhood stories. Again, never played Khajit - which basically will leave Orcs, Argonians and Dunmer as unplayed. Those three race really don't appeal.

And do the College of Bards quests because...

Each persons missing instrument you find, they will train you in 5 different skills each as your reward. (There's 3, so that's a total of 15 skills!) Probably best left until later when skills are harder to level and more expensive to pay for.

Anyway, back to Skyrim so I can forget about all the cold and snow...

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

I am sadly role-playing my waythrough, as a Redguard (Never played Redguard) battle-mage. Skyrim doesn't have classes like the old games, so I'm just basically sticking to the Companions and College of Winterhold storylines. Up to level 44 and hardly touched the main storyline. One weird thing is each time we get a new ES game they alweays say how much bigger it is than the last one, but it seems to take just as long to travel around Skyrim as it does Cyrodil or even Vardenfal. The interiors seem much bigger though, I'll give them that.

Plan to play through again as a Khajit and go for the Thieves and Dark Brotherhood stories. Again, never played Khajit - which basically will leave Orcs, Argonians and Dunmer as unplayed. Those three race really don't appeal.

And do the College of Bards quests because...

Each persons missing instrument you find, they will train you in 5 different skills each as your reward. (There's 3, so that's a total of 15 skills!) Probably best left until later when skills are harder to level and more expensive to pay for.

Anyway, back to Skyrim so I can forget about all the cold and snow...

Khajiit are fun to play as - they're good all rounders who can be basically anything (mine's a battlemage). The biggest downside to them is their racial ability's useless, so you don't get the free powerup for tight situations like an Orc does for instance, but they do have claws which make brawls unfairly easy.

At the moment I'm playing a Redguard too - I'm making him a 2-handed weapons, heavy armour berserker called Sandor (GOT reference!). He's my 4th character after having the aforementioned Khajiit, a dual-axe wielding, lightly armoured she-Orc (the quick, agile counterpart to my lumbering Redguard powerhouse basically) and a sneaky Argonian. Fun times. :thumbup:

I've heard there's a good hos on this called Shadowmere, but I won't get it now as I killed the Dark Brotherhood leader straight off.

Was in that room with the three hostages and was running around the room in a circle relaxing while deciding what to do. Thought I'd 'Ice Form' shout somebody for entertainment while I decided, so froze the leader. She fell off the top of the wardrobe in ice form but when she thawed out she attacked me so I had to crush her. I hadn't decided on that course of action but that's the way it's gone.

Now I won't get any Dark Brotherhood missions but have to destroy them instead. I haven't used a horse yet so not really bothered about not meeting that Shadowmere fella.

I've heard there's a good hos on this called Shadowmere, but I won't get it now as I killed the Dark Brotherhood leader straight off.

Was in that room with the three hostages and was running around the room in a circle relaxing while deciding what to do. Thought I'd 'Ice Form' shout somebody for entertainment while I decided, so froze the leader. She fell off the top of the wardrobe in ice form but when she thawed out she attacked me so I had to crush her. I hadn't decided on that course of action but that's the way it's gone.

Now I won't get any Dark Brotherhood missions but have to destroy them instead. I haven't used a horse yet so not really bothered about not meeting that Shadowmere fella.

Shadowmere :wub:

Shadowmere is amazing, pratically unkillable.

I managed to kill him somehow though :-(

Shadowmere is amazing, pratically unkillable.

I managed to kill him somehow though :-(

Doesn't he just respawn later though?

If not then my game is glitched - I keep riding him off hills, then when he dies leaving him and finding him behind me after a couple of in-game days.

I started having a crack on this a month or so ago. Some of the slow-mo's of Arrow kills are marvellous.

Never played this kind of game before and thought dragons and wizards were wrong, but got to admit it's pretty addictive. It was a bit complicated at first with all the menus, story and that, but you soon pick it up.

Tried my new headphones on it the other day and was walking through some trees on a hill, turned round and there's this flipping bear about 1 foot away who does this loud noise and makes me nearly fling the controller over the room lol Made me reet jump.

Took that Anneke in a cave and boned her on a silver ore vein then said 'It's time for us to part ways'. She loved it and I cracked on through the cave and battered some Draugr's or something. A very manly game. Also had a naked fist fight with Uthgerd. She loved it and paid me some gold. Now got 3 ho's back at the yard. Uthgerd, Rayya and Ysolda the wife. Hired a bard for the house but he turned out to be a bloke so gave him his P45 and told him to f*&k off out of it.

Love those undead things that make a short noise and release some power on you. Great noise. Got sent flying by some kind of shout the other day but not sure what it was that did it. That Sanguine Rose is decent but I've come across a few things that have smashed him.

Surprisingly good game. I normally get bored after 20 hours nowadays on a game but must have done over 50 on this so far. I'm a Khajjit.

El Empty does Skyrim lol . That would be a good series "El Empty does..."

Somehow knew you'd be a khajjit.

• Like 1

I had started a game the other day, my first playthrough. I am a Breton and finished all the side quests to do with the Companians. This is going to take days away from my life ...

Oh yeah, If you do it anywhere near properly you'll sink at least 100 hours into it before you even get bored or want any of the great DLC.

I had started a game the other day, my first playthrough. I am a Breton and finished all the side quests to do with the Companians. This is going to take days away from my life ...

Good, the Companions are my favourite followers, particularly the 3 questgivers, because not only can they not die, but having them by your side means 5 'free' skill-levels each time you level up: Simply ask them to train you *when they're following you*, then ask to trade things with them and take your money back! Farkas is the one I'm finding most useful atm because he trains you in heavy armour which is quite tricky to level up otherwise. :D

Good, the Companions are my favourite followers, particularly the 3 questgivers, because not only can they not die, but having them by your side means 5 'free' skill-levels each time you level up: Simply ask them to train you *when they're following you*, then ask to trade things with them and take your money back! Farkas is the one I'm finding most useful atm because he trains you in heavy armour which is quite tricky to level up otherwise. :D

Thats a top idea lol

• 3 months later...

Finally finished the main quest, having done the Companions and College of Winterhold (my character is basically a battlemage) and all the DLC (actually, I have unfinished business with Neloth), built two houses first. Maybe I over leveled, because the battle with Alduin was a piece of cake! As easy as any other dragon, in fact MUCH easier than early level dragons, I found early level dragons, unless I had companions or could run to somewhere where the dragon might someone else (giant's camps were good for this - seeing giants or mammoths fight dragons was great!) it was pretty much instant death. I have got Heavy Armour, Enchanting, Smithing, Archery and Sneaking all to legendary.

All I plan to do with this character now is complete the Legion missions, reclaim Skyrim for the Empire, kill filthy Ulfric and then I'm going to do my Thief/Dark Brotherhood/Stormcloak Khajit sometime later, maybe when I get my new PC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Doesn't say anything about an Xbox One version, just the PS4

Not sure if I'd buy it again tbh, Thought it was a great game and sunk hours and hours into it, but i've pretty much done everything there is to do. Shorter loading times and better textures would be good, but unless they add to the gameplay somewhat I can't see myself picking up the remake.

Edited by MrSpaM

Doesn't say anything about an Xbox One version, just the PS4

Not sure if I'd buy it again tbh, Thought it was a great game and sunk hours and hours into it, but i've pretty much done everything there is to do. Shorter loading times and better textures would be good, but unless they add to the gameplay somewhat I can't see myself picking up the remake.

The Bethesda website lists Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game on its product listing.