Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Elders Scrolls V Skyrim

Just ordered 5th Anniversary of Oblivion. Cannot believe I've overlooked the Elder Scrolls series.

I'm 70 hours in on Skyrim, and I've only done upto... **possible spoiler**

Alduin's Wall on the main quest. Doing some stuff with the Dark Brotherhood which is awesome.

I won't touch Oblivion until Skyrim is completed though.

Edited by Yojoe36

Whats everyones favourite quests they have done? And where do you start them?

Ive done a fair bit on the main quest, and completed loads of others, but nothing amazing really. It would be good to see what people think are the best, and give some of them a fair crack of the whip. (The quests, not people) :P

Edited by Darkon84

Just ordered 5th Anniversary of Oblivion. Cannot believe I've overlooked the Elder Scrolls series.

I'm 70 hours in on Skyrim, and I've only done upto... **possible spoiler**

Alduin's Wall on the main quest. Doing some stuff with the Dark Brotherhood which is awesome.

I won't touch Oblivion until Skyrim is completed though.

You'll find a lot of refrences to Oblivion in Skyrim if you look close enough

Got to admit, 50 hours through (I think), but not a massive fan.

Positives:

- It's long

- Map is awesome

- Exploring new places is fun

- Lots and lots of quests

Negatives

- Most of the quests are fairly boring

- Loading screens; so many of them and they take forever (though admittedly, I haven't saved to hard-drive, only having 4gb memory)

- It's not much of a challenge. Am playing on standard difficulty, but past level 10 or so, I seem to breeze through most enemies

- Too easy to glitch the difficult enemies. Also too easy to use glitches to level up

- I hate smithing/Alchemy and to some extent, enchanting

- Not a massive fan of the combat

It's a fairly good game, and the size and scale of the map is very impressive (the best thing about the game!), however, I don't think the story line is at all gripping compared to something like Dragon Age, which was a much shorter gane, but had a great plot and characters/choices that you could empathise with, while the combat system I think isn't as good as Dark Souls. I feel the game kind of tailed of, for the first 25 hours I thought it was great, but I'v started to lose interest already.

All in all, I would prob give the game 8/10. With Skyrims map, Dark souls combat system and Dragon Ages story line, you could make an amazing game though......

Edited by Charl91

Ive done a fair bit on the main quest, and completed loads of others, but nothing amazing really. It would be good to see what people think are the best, and give some of them a fair crack of the whip. (The quests, not people) :P

The Dark Brotherhood one is good.

Find some kid in Windhelm, and complete his quest. You'll then receive a letter saying "We Know". Go to sleep anywhere, then there you go

You'll find a lot of refrences to Oblivion in Skyrim if you look close enough

I know about all the Daedric stuff. And I've noticed things about Cyrodiil as well

There were a few of the thieves guild quests that I liked. The one at the house out on the lake outside Riften was decent. As was the final main thieves quest taking out Mercer.

The more I play this game the more I think it relies on its hugeness to impress. But just because it is a big game with lots to do, no matter how mundane some of that is, that's irrelevant in the eyes of most reviewers/gamers alike. It's still game of the year regardless of the content.

Take smithing for example. I haven't smithed a thing, not even a tin plate, because I already have the full ebony armour set from looting chests. So for me, that's an irrelevant part of the game. As is making potions. Or even buying them. I haven't bought a thing in this game. I just go round and collect them and now I have the longest inventory list of items I've ever seen and am not likely to use any of it to any great extent.

I constantly pick items up, almost exceed my item limit every playthrough, and then dump them in my chest in the house I own in Whiterun. Then what? I don't ever go back to use any of it. There's so much to choose from, it would take 15 minutes to read through the list of what I've collected.

Then the dragons. I got the 20G achievement the other day for collecting 20 dragon souls. If I'd collected all the dragon bones and scales from all of those I'd have 60 of each.

And the point is? lol

There's one quest I did the other day starting from Dawnstar. At the museum. Silus is the guy you have to speak to, he asks you to collect parts of a dagger which gives you a decent one handed weapon. When you have the dagger at the end, do him in. lol

The more I play this game the more I think it relies on its hugeness to impress. But just because it is a big game with lots to do, no matter how mundane some of that is, that's irrelevant in the eyes of most reviewers/gamers alike. It's still game of the year regardless of the content.

Yeah, that's my impression. I think you have to grind smithing to get the best weapons, which is such a pointless awful mind-numbing way to do it. I prefer the traditional go-on-massive-uber-hard-quest-and-kill-epic-boss to get good weapons and armour. Not making a thousand iron daggers.

Which is shite anyway, because it levels up your total level, which I think levels up enemys as they scale with you I believe. So to make my weapons better, I have to make my enemys stronger. Even if the enemys and weapons dont level up in proportion, it still seems quite pointless.....

Everyone seems to say this thieves quest is good though, so I might have to give that one a go.

Edited by Charl91

I lost Lydia early on. Funny thing was she died in the Shimmering Cave on a side quest and then mysteriously came back to life on the dragon attack in Windhelm during the main quest before dying again. lol

Aela follows me everywhere. Although today she just disappeared whilst fighting a dwarven metal enemy. lol Here one second, gone the next.

Anyway, have now finished the main quest. All faction quests completed. Daedric artifacts to find.

I have 14 achievements still to collect and am looking for the quickest way possible to get all of them. Some of them will require some patience. Problem is the amount of game time needed to pull them off. I still have Dark Souls to finish, AC Revelations to get through and at the end of Jan FFXIII-2 is out followed swiftly by ME3.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting bored of this now.

I have one daedric artifact left to find and another 4 shouts to get. Not that I ever use them mind. I'll not bother with the level 50 achievement so I reckon I'll be 3 short by the time I put this down. Which will be shortly.

I'm surprised it hasn't had me going back to Dark Souls earlier but there's something about it to keep pulling me back in. However, there's only so many dungeons, quests and the like containing draugrs, deathlords, falmer and bandits that one can take. It's a shame there isn't a greater variety of enemy to keep things fresh. I just mash with the right trigger, as I'm lvl 100 one handed. Tactically, there's nothing to it.

I have one daedric artifact left to find and another 4 shouts to get. Not that I ever use them mind. I'll not bother with the level 50 achievement so I reckon I'll be 3 short by the time I put this down. Which will be shortly.

I'm surprised it hasn't had me going back to Dark Souls earlier but there's something about it to keep pulling me back in. However, there's only so many dungeons, quests and the like containing draugrs, deathlords, falmer and bandits that one can take. It's a shame there isn't a greater variety of enemy to keep things fresh. I just mash with the right trigger, as I'm lvl 100 one handed. Tactically, there's nothing to it.

I just went back to Skyrim, and thought I'd start over. Doing it as a mage this time. Still fun. I didn't realise you had an option at the beginning of the game where you can go with the Imperial guy, or the Stormclock guy. I'm also picking up loads more things which I didn't notice notice before. Or couldn't be arsed to do.

I've said for years that the 2nd time you play through a game, will be the best. I still stick by it

When your main tactic is to lower the difficulty whenever you get stuck I am not suprised!

I too however will be putting this to bed soon until DLC comes out, Lvl 49 all I've got left to do is to clear 8 dungeons.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give this one or two last attempts at collecting the 3 achievements I need - 15 artifacts, 20 shouts, 13 waystones.

But..., this game has finally screwed me over.

I was after the Become Ethereal shout from the Ironbind Barrow dungeon. Made it through no problem to the end and squared up against what I thought was yet another Deathlord only to find it was the main boss. Never mind, carried it through and just as it was about to land the final blow, the game decides to autosave. It froze for a few seconds and then came back. Only of course I was dead.

It reloaded, one hit and I was dead. It did this again. No worries I thought, go into the load-up screen and chose an earlier autosave. Go into that and all 3 autosaves are at the same point. They all load and one hit and dead.

Last save before this was over 2 hours back!

I can't be arsed with this anymore! lol

I thought I'd give this one or two last attempts at collecting the 3 achievements I need - 15 artifacts, 20 shouts, 13 waystones.

But..., this game has finally screwed me over.

I was after the Become Ethereal shout from the Ironbind Barrow dungeon. Made it through no problem to the end and squared up against what I thought was yet another Deathlord only to find it was the main boss. Never mind, carried it through and just as it was about to land the final blow, the game decides to autosave. It froze for a few seconds and then came back. Only of course I was dead.

It reloaded, one hit and I was dead. It did this again. No worries I thought, go into the load-up screen and chose an earlier autosave. Go into that and all 3 autosaves are at the same point. They all load and one hit and dead.

Last save before this was over 2 hours back!

I can't be arsed with this anymore! lol

Ouch. That's why i hate autosaves, never let you load it back up to change history! lol

• 10 months later...

Bumping this back up, the new DLC is out (for X-box anyway, pc gets it in the new year). All looks rather interesting:

A return to Solstheim :w00t: and by the looks of things a lot of the morrowind enemies (ash zombies, ascended sleepers, goblins) are chucked back in as well.