Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not always but mostly - can’t be bothered to work it out .........

Can you repeat the question ?

What would be the point?    oh go on then,  We all stereotype either consciously or subconsciously, it's human nature and part of our psychological risk assessment faculty.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

On the contrary, it's your own lack of understanding of the subject.

Eh, no. HighPeak is correct. Stereotypes aren't based in reality, they're based on nonsensical views. The actual action may be instinctive, but it's still a result of a lack of understanding and lazy views.

28 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Defensive much? You haven't a clue what I do and don't understand, so don't be arrogant enough to suggest you do.

Defensive much yourself? No arrogance intended. Please read my other post on the subject, it explains common known facts that's all. If I came over as aggressive it wasn't my intention, sorry.

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Eh, no. HighPeak is correct. Stereotypes aren't based in reality, they're based on nonsensical views. The actual action may be instinctive, but it's still a result of a lack of understanding and lazy views.

Eh no, sorry but stereotyping is not based on nonsensical views. It is based on individual forming ideas through experience on a generalised basis. 

4 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Eh no, sorry but stereotyping is not based on nonsensical views. It is based on individual forming ideas through experience on a generalised basis. 

If it is only done by individuals, then by definition it cannot be stereotyping - stereotyping is a collective action.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

Jim Holden's 'Leicester insulted us' piece is up there with 14 year olds from Asia/Africa posting 'Leicester, you have lost all of my respect' on social media after the Ranieri sacking

In other words, none of us give a flying fvck about either notion.

Who is jim Holden? 

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Er, you can if people believe that you're just trotting out a cliche or a well worn trope, that you may believe you have come up with individually and without outside influence.

Fair enough, but that doesn't explain why stereotyping exists in the first place. If I were to say all male followers of the sheikh religion wore turbans I would be wrong of course, but the majority do, does that mean I'm stereotyping or just pointing out the obvious?

8 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Fair enough, but that doesn't explain why stereotyping exists in the first place. If I were to say all male followers of the sheikh religion wore turbans I would be wrong of course, but the majority do, does that mean I'm stereotyping or just pointing out the obvious?

Well, sorry to point this out, but I think you meant Sikh. I think there is a difference between stereotyping, which I think commonly refers to behaviours (perceived or otherwise), and making observations, accurately or otherwise.

As for why stereotyping exists, I think I've offered an opinion (note - not a fact) on that, and I think it is due to (any or all of these) gossip, folklore, repeated cliche, lazy thinking, lack of education, and all too often an unwillingness to think carefully and/or for long enough.

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well, sorry to point this out, but I think you meant Sikh. I think there is a difference between stereotyping, which I think commonly refers to behaviours (perceived or otherwise), and making observations, accurately or otherwise.

As for why stereotyping exists, I think I've offered an opinion (note - not a fact) on that, and I think it is due to (any or all of these) gossip, folklore, repeated cliche, lazy thinking, lack of education, and all too often an unwillingness to think carefully and/or for long enough.

Ok, I made a spelling mistake thank you for putting that right for me ( sigh ). Wow, that's an awful lot of reasons you have come up with there  Highpeak. I'm afraid I don't subscribe to any of them, in fact, I think your reasons are in themselves stereotyping and a tad patronising. But it's been an interesting debate and I thank you for your input.

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

In which case stereotypes wouldn't exist because everyone's experience is different. They are not based on a kernel of truth, experience or any such bollocks, they're an instinctive expression of falsely held views.

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

In which case stereotypes wouldn't exist because everyone's experience is different. They are not based on a kernel of truth, experience or any such bollocks, they're an instinctive expression of falsely held views.

You're looking at a very narrow PC definition of stereotyping. You're both right imo. It can be lazy and uneducated. It can also be based on a kernel of truth and/or lived or perceived experience. You can't stereotype stereotyping.

18 minutes ago, toddybad said:

You're looking at a very narrow PC definition of stereotyping. You're both right imo. It can be lazy and uneducated. It can also be based on a kernel of truth and/or lived or perceived experience. You can't stereotype stereotyping.

Perceived experience wouldn't be stereotypes though. Stereotypes are characteristics, usually negative, associated with a population by the majority - things like "Irish people are pissheads", "black people are well hung", "women are bad at maths" etc. Lazy views propagated by society and pop-culture to be taken as assumed fact by most - they are stereotypes. Saying that you met a Spanish bloke and he was an arrogant arsehole so when you met a spaniard you think immediately, they're an arsehole, isn't a stereotype, it's just you being lazy and absurd.

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Not true - many stereotypes are based on exactly that.

Take, for example the stereotypes of the snail-eating Frenchman; the beer-swilling Brit; the sheep-shagging Welsh - all based on a kernel of truth.

• Like 1