Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

4 hours ago, Dukla Leicester said:

If you don't think there were people in the media who wanted  us fail in 15/16, listen to the commentary when welbeck scored in the arsenal defeat. 

Nah, it's just Peter Drury being a melodramatic bellend as usual. He tries to make every goal sound as monumental as possible. If you think there's bias just listen to his commentary on Vardy's second at the Stadium of Light.

Some right sensitive souls on here. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Nah, it's just Peter Drury being a melodramatic bellend as usual. He tries to make every goal sound as monumental as possible. If you think there's bias just listen to his commentary on Vardy's second at the Stadium of Light.

Yeah his commentary for the South Africa opening goal in the 2010 World Cup was like that when he just kept shouting 'Bafana Tshabalala Bafana!' on repeat

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Yeah his commentary for the South Africa opening goal in the 2010 World Cup was like that when he just kept shouting 'Bafana Tshabalala Bafana!' on repeat

He's so cringy. I can't remember it well but his introduction for one of our CL games last season was possibly the most pretentious thing I've heard on a sports broadcast. 

On 14/11/2017 at 20:24, orangecity23 said:

If I read someone still banging on about FFP in the Championship, in my head it sets off an instant trigger that the person talking about is an absolute melt of the highest order and their opinions are absolutely worthless. FFP is an abomination, an anti-competitive abortion designed to keep smaller clubs from ever achieving anything, and stop owners from investing in their business to grow it.

We were set up to fail FFP, we had invested heavily pre FFP, and because of how transfer expenditure is declared, we were already tied in to having to declare losses on failures like Mills, Beckford, Danns as transfer costs are spread over the duration of the players contract. Then, after we'd already spent the money, new rules were invented which we had no chance of complying with, because we had already broken them before they existed, and we had no chance of blocking them as the other Championship clubs voted them in because they saw it as an easy way of stopping us or QPR from being a threat to them. Of course, many of those who voted for these rules, such as Forest and Bournemouth, have since gone on to break these rules, because when you need to get a better squad, how can you do it without spending money? You can't, so you can only sit there like good little spendthrifts as the same few clubs cycle in and out of the Prem, using their parachute payments to outgun everyone else. What's that, a massive disparity in available money to spend for clubs in the same competition? That doesn't sound very sporting or fair, but its A-OK in the world of FFP. Buying players at Udinese then flogging them to your other club Watford for a pound? Perfectly fine in FFP land. Just don't be borrowing any money and then paying interest on it to grow your business, that's not on.

What did we spend when we were crowned champions? Free transfers for GTF and Phillips, a nominal sum on Dean Hammond, and £400k on Mahrez, a player now worth 50 million. Sounds like very sensible and smart transfer spending, so obviously the kind of thing that needs to be cracked down on straight away. Fine them! Then, when they make a loss the following season because of the fine, fine them again.

FFP belongs in the bin, and only exists so that big clubs (like Arsenal, funnily enough) have trousered more than their fair share in the past, and want to pull up the drawbridge so no-one else can ever challenge them again, leaving the big clubs to pick up their plunder every year, without the threat of actual competition endangering that for them.

Best post I've ever read on here ??

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bovril said:

"The impossible dream has just got closer and they know it" ?? 

Melodramatic? Don't think so sounded like he was positively pleased.

When arsenal scored he was coming in his pants that our 'fairytale' was ending because welbeck had scored a 'title turning goal'!  

Bellend? Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Exactly. I met the guy after Watford away that season and he 100% wanted us to win the league, no doubt about it. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

He's so cringy. I can't remember it well but his introduction for one of our CL games last season was possibly the most pretentious thing I've heard on a sports broadcast. 

He can grate a fair bit alright. I'd always associate him with ITV's cack handed approach to football coverage in the 00s.

That said his commentary for Vardys goal in Seville was actually quite good. Was an extraordinary moment given what went on in Swansea and Millwall leading up to the game,.

Yeah not sure about that Welbeck goal, that was a big goal and moment, so we all thought.

Media definitely have it in for us though. Not falling for any bullshit that the problem's at our end what so ever. The amount of crap spoken about LCFC is completely disproportionate to what actually happens - not that it's necessarily a bad thing, I'd rather that than be a nobody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah not sure about that Welbeck goal, that was a big goal and moment, so we all thought.

Media definitely have it in for us though. Not falling for any bullshit that the problem's at our end what so ever. The amount of crap spoken about LCFC is completely disproportionate to what actually happens - not that it's necessarily a bad thing, I'd rather that than be a nobody.

Isn't it fantastic watching that goal now...knowing what happened next.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stan said:

Agree totally. It shows our attitude that season, we just took it in our stride and quickly forgot about it. I loved our 1-0's after that, there were a few of them, so calm and efficient in that period. 

Edited by MarshallForEngland

3 hours ago, Stan said:

It's just like the Deeney goal for me. Devastating at the time - absolutely gutting... After the Arsenal game I had to walk the 5ks home just to calm down. 

But on both occasions I KNEW it would benefit us more than it did them. 

11 hours ago, bovril said:

Can tell you don't watch a lot of rugby on the BBC.  lol

_79873847_eddie_butler_grab.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

surely Jonathan "Numbers" Davies would be a better example on a completely biased commentator 

Firstly he was talking about very melodramatic commentary. Of which Butler is the master. 

Secondly, to be fair, Davies is one of the few largely non bias commentators working for the BBC. He's the biggest critic of Wales and always one of the first to compliment whoever we're playing, even the English. 

I get why English people dislike Eddie Butler, definitely, but you're a bit off if you're going to moan about Jiffy being particularly biased. 

On 15/11/2017 at 18:15, Dukla Leicester said:

If you don't think there were people in the media who wanted  us fail in 15/16, listen to the commentary when welbeck scored in the arsenal defeat. 

I remember it well, the day arsenal won the league 

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, MarshallForEngland said:

Agree totally. It shows our attitude that season, we just took it in our stride and quickly forgot about it. I loved our 1-0's after that, there were a few of them, so calm and efficient in that period. 

...but we didn't forget about it. It became the motivation.

19 hours ago, Spudulike said:

You know this article was written the season after we won the title, right? As I said, I don't remember it being like that. How does inside information revealed AFTER the event in question say anything about how I perceived that same event at the time it happened? It didn't feel that way then; had I seen the picture-clad walls of the changing rooms bearing reminders of our defeat, I might have felt differently.

By the way, I also think you can be a bit more generous about the word "forget" here. I think it's clear from context I meant we didn't let it ruin subsequent performances. Mental that you decided to argue with me about this when I was clearly not looking for a confrontation with anybody, I was just being positive about our attitude and performances. Div.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Please place these in the correct order on the FT Givea****ometer;

a) your memory of what happened, which isn't what actually happened

b) what happened

C) How I actually felt about it at the time. 

How is this a difficult concept to understand? You're talking about misremembering something, when what is actually happening is that information came to light afterwards which shows that my perception at the time may have been an illusion. That genuinely is how I felt about it, the Arsenal game didn't seem that big of a deal afterwards, I'm not misremembering anything. Again, had I known about the players pinning pictures of the defeat on the walls and using them to motivate themselves, my impression would likely have been different, but Huth's revelations could not possibly have retrospectively altered my view of the situation at the time could they. What do you not understand about this? 

26 minutes ago, MarshallForEngland said:

C) How I actually felt about it at the time. 

How is this a difficult concept to understand? You're talking about misremembering something, when what is actually happening is that information came to light afterwards which shows that my perception at the time may have been an illusion. That genuinely is how I felt about it, the Arsenal game didn't seem that big of a deal afterwards, I'm not misremembering anything. Again, had I known about the players pinning pictures of the defeat on the walls and using them to motivate themselves, my impression would likely have been different, but Huth's revelations could not possibly have retrospectively altered my view of the situation at the time could they. What do you not understand about this? 

At the time, Huth felt it was what spurred them on to the title. 

He's recounting it in this article. 

That's literally all there is to it. No need to try and fashion an argument out of nothing.