Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

29 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

Groves v Smith in sept 

and its is ****ing Saudi Arabia 

Kelle must have a massive deal for snow lined up 

totally shocking disregard for the paying fans 

have a read of the comments ??? 

He's been harping on about being in Jeddah for months so not getting the shock to be honest.

It's all money, pretty sure the Usyk Gassiev fight was not suppose to be in Moscow but there was a heap of cash thrown Kalle and he switched the venue. Quite happy Usyk taught him a lesson.

13 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He's been harping on about being in Jeddah for months so not getting the shock to be honest.

It's all money, pretty sure the Usyk Gassiev fight was not suppose to be in Moscow but there was a heap of cash thrown Kalle and he switched the venue. Quite happy Usyk taught him a lesson.

I’m surprised and pissed off that’s a potential stadium fight in UK and would generate massive gates , the new Saudi Prince is desperate to get the country into the 21st century , so ya as you say no one should be shocked 

seen a report they are paying $7.5m just to hold the fight ! 

59 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

I’m surprised and pissed off that’s a potential stadium fight in UK and would generate massive gates , the new Saudi Prince is desperate to get the country into the 21st century , so ya as you say no one should be shocked 

seen a report they are paying $7.5m just to hold the fight ! 

39 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I went to Groves v Eubank Jr and was planning on doing the final. Piss-poor really.

I do get that

But I don't think it's a decision that has been made with who is fighting in mind, I am sure when Jeddah was first mentioned the competition hadn't even started.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Anyone paying to view tomorrow night?

An emphatic fcking no.

It's not a $2 fight never mind £20....will probably win fight of the year now but there we are lol 

And the undercard is not much better now Kell has withdrawn. Cheif support act Carlos Takam and Derek Chisora.....it's like a PPV made up of Joshua's past victims.

I think you should buy it and update us tbh.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

An emphatic fcking no.

It's not a $2 fight never mind £20....will probably win fight of the year now but there we are lol 

And the undercard is not much better now Kell has withdrawn. Cheif support act Carlos Takam and Derek Chisora.....it's like a PPV made up of Joshua's past victims.

I think you should buy it and update us tbh.

lol

Who's your money on?

I've had a few quid on Whyte to stop him in the 8th. Purely gut feel, no science, I just fancy him to win.

Whyte's growing on me as a fighter and person. I thought he was dick when he first came on the scene but must admit he's growing on me.

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

lol

Who's your money on?

I've had a few quid on Whyte to stop him in the 8th. Purely gut feel, no science, I just fancy him to win.

Whyte's growing on me as a fighter and person. I thought he was dick when he first came on the scene but must admit he's growing on me.

Difficult one to predict, I’m not watching and cleared up a few quid in my first bet in ages (wankers can’t take their mortgage offer back now!) by backing Usyk on points last weekend as odds were good as everyone thought it’d be a close fight. So not touching it myself betting wise, there’s  no point.

its not a bad bet but Parker isn’t easy to hit and hangs around. He is a bit of a myth though for me, I do fancy whyte to win For that reason, since he stepped up to world level he’s not impressed me in any of his fights and that includes Cojana and Ruiz who most casuals would refer to as bin men. Whyte does look a different propersition to the man who wobbled Joshua as well due to the changes he’s made in his prep and training, he’s physically in much better shape, He’s had some very poor fights but has looked good at times especially last time out against Browne, he can undoubtedly box a bit, has serious power and can take a few licks himself. Whyte on points for me but as always with Parker I’m mindful this world class outfit the kiwis make him out to be might finally show his face, but doubtful. 

As for your perception of him I’m afraid both are purely how he was intentionally marketed to the public then and how he is now. Hearn hocuspocus.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest MattP
On 27/07/2018 at 15:29, Col city fan said:

Anyone paying to view tomorrow night?

It's absolutely scandalous this is a PPV to be honest, Warren got away with some shite but this is laughable.

On 16/07/2018 at 18:43, Manwell Pablo said:

Joshua confirms it’s povetkin up next then, should imagine wilder breazelle will be announced shortly if it hasn’t already and I’ve missed whilst on the beach.

Not the fight we wanted but for now at least probably the 2nd biggest fight out there for both of them.

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if finkle Haymen and the Hearns are not all in on this and it was always going to be an April fight between Wilder and Joshua. Build the hype, similar to most super fights.

I know most people consider this fight to be such. Two unbeaten heavyweight champions fighting each other.

Maybe I'm just one of those people who constantly gives it 'back in my day'. I don't think I am though.

However, having watched the Ali/Foreman/Frazier/Shavers/Norton era followed by the Larry Holmes era and then the Tyson era, it just strikes me as almost laughable these two fighting should be considered a super fight. That's not a criticism aimed at Manwell Pablo though, in measurable terms, I suppose it is a superfight. To me, heavyweight boxing is in the biggest doldrums ever.

That said, I was at the Evander Holyfield v Lennox Lewis fight in Madison Square Gardens with my brother, two massive names, two great champions, cost us a bloody fortune and the fight stank the place out (mainly due to Lennox Lewis style of boxing in my opinion, though many would disagree with that). I suppose you never can tell going in. My brother went to Tyson v Bruno in Vegas before that, I wish I'd been at that one. 

Ultimately, if two fighters are well matched, you should get a decent fight, let's hope that's the case if Joshua and Wilder meet. I can't help thinking that either of them would have been blown away by any of the boxers I've mentioned above (with the exception of Bruno, who I personally never rated). 

9 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I know most people consider this fight to be such. Two unbeaten heavyweight champions fighting each other.

Maybe I'm just one of those people who constantly gives it 'back in my day'. I don't think I am though.

However, having watched the Ali/Foreman/Frazier/Shavers/Norton era followed by the Larry Holmes era and then the Tyson era, it just strikes me as almost laughable these two fighting should be considered a super fight. That's not a criticism aimed at Manwell Pablo though, in measurable terms, I suppose it is a superfight. To me, heavyweight boxing is in the biggest doldrums ever.

That said, I was at the Evander Holyfield v Lennox Lewis fight in Madison Square Gardens with my brother, two massive names, two great champions, cost us a bloody fortune and the fight stank the place out (mainly due to Lennox Lewis style of boxing in my opinion, though many would disagree with that). I suppose you never can tell going in. My brother went to Tyson v Bruno in Vegas before that, I wish I'd been at that one. 

Ultimately, if two fighters are well matched, you should get a decent fight, let's hope that's the case if Joshua and Wilder meet. I can't help thinking that either of them would have been blown away by any of the boxers I've mentioned above (with the exception of Bruno, who I personally never rated). 

Bruno had decent skills IMO. Unfortunately when he got tagged he'd just freeze and drop his arms, and then the stoppage was never far away.

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Bruno had decent skills IMO. Unfortunately when he got tagged he'd just freeze and drop his arms, and then the stoppage was never far away.

That's a pretty fair assessment. Certainly his jab was decent and looks like it would have seriously hurt when he landed with it which is an asset not all boxers have. He was also a little unfortunate the era he was in too.

His biggest flaw was a glass chin as you say. He probably did well to achieve what he achieved given that.

I'm sure this will be seen as controversial but, although I didn't particularly rate him, I think he was better than Joshua.

On 07/07/2018 at 20:25, Steve_Walsh5 said:

It takes some bollocks to get in a ring and go toe to toe with someone at any level. 

Something I doubt you’d ever dare to do.  

I boxed as an amateur in my 20's.

I can confirm, I was shatting myself before every fight. Maybe if I'd had a 100 fights I'd have become more comfortable but I doubt it would have changed my thoughts entirely.

I've seen people laugh at certain boxers in situations (the one that springs to mind is Trevor Berbick trying to get up and keeping falling back down against Tyson) and it actually really annoys me. It takes a huge amount of balls to go through those ropes. Those usually laughing just wouldn't have the cajonas to do it themselves.

2 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

That's a pretty fair assessment. Certainly his jab was decent and looks like it would have seriously hurt when he landed with it which is an asset not all boxers have. He was also a little unfortunate the era he was in too.

His biggest flaw was a glass chin as you say. He probably did well to achieve what he achieved given that.

I'm sure this will be seen as controversial but, although I didn't particularly rate him, I think he was better than Joshua.

I remember Bruno out-boxing Lennox for half a dozen rounds in Cardiff before he got tagged and stopped. However, I wouldn't rate Bruno as better than Joshua, simply because Joshua, despite being wobbled a few times in his career, has shown he has the ability weather the tough periods when he's in trouble, recover, and come back.

9 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I boxed as an amateur in my 20's.

I can confirm, I was shatting myself before every fight. Maybe if I'd had a 100 fights I'd have become more comfortable but I doubt it would have changed my thoughts entirely.

I've seen people laugh at certain boxers in situations (the one that springs to mind is Trevor Berbick trying to get up and keeping falling back down against Tyson) and it actually really annoys me. It takes a huge amount of balls to go through those ropes. Those usually laughing just wouldn't have the cajonas to do it themselves.

I remember my Dad buying our first VCR so he could record the late night/early morning fights from across the pond. One of the first I remember was this. Watching Berbick stumbling around the ring was hilarious to my 8 year old self.

I used to watch boxing quite a lot back in the day, but haven't really kept up with it. Partly because it's hardly ever on terrestrial TV, and partly because of the Benn/McClellan fight. I actually had to stop watching and walk out of the room, it made me feel physically sick watching it. It put me off boxing for good while.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I remember Bruno out-boxing Lennox for half a dozen rounds in Cardiff before he got tagged and stopped. However, I wouldn't rate Bruno as better than Joshua, simply because Joshua, despite being wobbled a few times in his career, has shown he has the ability weather the tough periods when he's in trouble, recover, and come back.

I sort of agree. I can't rebut your reasoning there. I do however think that had Tyson, in his pomp, tagged Joshua, then Joshua wouldn't have survived either, just as Bruno didn't. For what it's worth, I'd probably have backed Bruno against Joshua but that's just opinion.

As for Lewis, I think he's over rated, massively, always have. He undoubtedly had boxing skills but he was boring and defensive, always safety first. Add to that fact that when he was tagged, he was sparko. Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman both absolutely flattened him. There was no struggling to his feet, no trying to get up really, he was absolutely knocked out. Both of those boxers aren't really even a footnote in boxing history. Lewis was good defensively though so he didn't expose himself that often. That's a skill of course but I'm just no Lewis fan.

If you compare those to the left hook Ali took from Frazier and got back up or when Holmes got off the floor (against Shavers I think) or the Norton v Holmes fight, Lewis pales in comparison when it comes to 'chin'. Even a tiny heavyweight like Frasier kept getting to his feet when Foreman kept knocking him down.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. Some may agree, many won't.

11 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I remember my Dad buying our first VCR so he could record the late night/early morning fights from across the pond. One of the first I remember was this. Watching Berbick stumbling around the ring was hilarious to my 8 year old self.

I used to watch boxing quite a lot back in the day, but haven't really kept up with it. Partly because it's hardly ever on terrestrial TV, and partly because of the Benn/McClellan fight. I actually had to stop watching and walk out of the room, it made me feel physically sick watching it. It put me off boxing for good while.

It's understandable as an 8 year old to have that reaction tbf. I was referring more to grown men who laughed but wouldn't even walk into a gym let alone go through the ropes. 

• Like 1

I'm genuinely ****ing emotional for David Allen lol that is one of the best punches i've seen in a long time at Heavyweight. So pleased for him whether he retires or carries on. Definitely one of the good guys!

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I have BT and a PS4 and it's dawning on me that I won't be able to order tonight what a fooking travesty was well excited. Oh well look like I'll have to stream it on my phone unless anyone has a solution for me? Can't find anything online.

You can buy it on now tv. Not sure if it works on the PS4 now tv app though, so some research :) 

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Berbick was hilarious, the best one I’ve seen is Zab Juddah against Kosta Tsyu, gets sparked springs to his feet has a go at the ref for stopping the fight before he he’s even actually stopped it whilst doing sone sort of chicken dance then falls flat on his face again. 

I cant agree I have respect for any top level athelete but sometimes boxers do some genuinely amusing things after a good whack and I can’t help but laugh.

Edited by Manwell Pablo