Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Legalise cannabis?

Legalise?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be legal?

• Yes
    • No

How does weed f**k you up?

It doesn't its just easier for some people to put the words Drug and Abuse together (Altho he doesnt do that in his post)

Like Joe Rogan says ' For **** sake you can abuse Cheeseburgers but your not going to jail for it'

I would have thought a 'gateway' drug would be one that impairs the decision making process.... like alcohol?

I think it's more likely that people choose to use substances after a few pints than after smoking a joint wouldn't you say?

It's also how you represent the stats.... 99% of heroin users used cannabis prior to taking up heroin, however 99% of cannabis users never go on to use heroin.........

I would have thought a 'gateway' drug would be one that impairs the decision making process.... like alcohol?

I think it's more likely that people choose to use substances after a few pints than after smoking a joint wouldn't you say?

It's also how you represent the stats.... 99% of heroin users used cannabis prior to taking up heroin, however 99% of cannabis users never go on to use heroin.........

Well tbh i dont think the Gateway theory is a real one i mean i was drinking at the age of 17 what made me start drinking what was the gateway to that ?

It doesn't its just easier for some people to put the words Drug and Abuse together (Altho he doesnt do that in his post)

Like Joe Rogan says ' For **** sake you can abuse Cheeseburgers but your not going to jail for it'

I just don't know how some people can say weed ****s everyone up. Alright in very rare circumstances people might have developed problems over it but as everyone keeps saying alcohol can **** people up.

The problem with weed for me is where it comes from and what your funding, another reason it should be legal.

Edited by lavrentis

I have smoked it on and off for years, and from my peak of smoking it every day when I was 18 I think I can safely say for me it has negative effects in a few ways.

I remember at my peak of smoking, I felt a bit depressed and my emotions seemed very numbed, couldn't really get excited or sad about much. That was a weird time!

I can clearly trace a correlation between the amount I smoked/amount of time I spent stoned and my academic achievement (starting off with low motivation and just scraping through A Levels ending up at the end of university getting a 2:1 and a 1st in my dissertation). I think that it definitely affected my motivational skills to get on with work and made me put things off as I was stoned and couldn't be bothered.

I now smoke very rarely, really enjoy it still but when it comes to spending money on it there are far too many other competing demands on my wallet!

In terms of damage to your body, I think that if you were to drink to the point of intoxication every day and compare that to getting stoned every day its pretty clear which one is more damaging to your body (and also your lifestyle, most people can still function and get on with work when stoned).

I think the 'negative' effect of low motivation/numbing emotions could actually be useful for me in some situations, for example if I resigned myself to the job I am doing it would help me feel better (or not feel) about not fulfilling my potential!

I can't help but think that few of the people that are in favour of it being legalised have been on the receiving end a burglary/robbery to feed the habit.

Answer me this, it's night, you're in your home with your children in bed. You are lying next to your parnter in bed, you hear a window smashed down stairs, you go down stairs to find a number of oiks lifting your TV, DVD player, stereo system, your childs bike, toys etc out the window, they might even do your car window too to get the satnav that everyone leaves in view.

What would you're response be to them?

"What the F**K do you think you're doing stealing my possessions!?!?!"

"I've got a cannabis habit, I'm stealing these to sell down the market to feed my habit"

"Oh ok, my mistake, by all means carry on..."

Some how I don't think that is how you would react.

If it gets legalised and more people become addicted to it surely it's not hard to see that eventually more people will become dependant, they won't be able to afford to buy it and will therefore seek to buy it buy other means.

Edited by Ilkeston_Fox

I can't help but think that few of the people that are in favour of it being legalised have been on the receiving end a burglary/robbery to feed the habit.

Answer me this, it's night, you're in your home with your children in bed. You are lying next to your parnter in bed, you hear a window smashed down stairs, you go down stairs to find a number of oiks lifting your TV, DVD player, stereo system, your childs bike, toys etc out the window, they might even do your car window too to get the satnav that everyone leaves in view.

What would you're response be to them?

"What the F**K do you think you're doing stealing my possessions!?!?!"

"I've got a cannabis habit, I'm stealing these to sell down the market to feed my habit"

"Oh ok, my mistake, by all means carry on..."

Some how I don't think that is how you would react.

If it gets legalised and more people become addicted to it surely it's not hard to see that eventually more people will become dependant, they won't be able to afford to buy it and will therefore seek to buy it buy other means.

I've been on the end of a theft from a junkie but then again I've also seen absolute strangers walk up to one another and punch the living daylights out of each other because they were drunk.

Cus I'm sure alcoholics never fund there addiction through unlawful means.

I'm sure some do. So my point stands - Cannabis is illegal at the moment, therefore potentially putting off a lot of people from using it, legalise it and they might think well i'll try it now, get addicted etc and potentially run the risk of becoming billy burgular. Do we need another load of people doing this?

Surely, by legalising 1 thing they'll just be another thing to take it's place?

Cus I'm sure alcoholics never fund there addiction through unlawful means.

nope, 'cause everyone knows alcoholics can still hold down a job easily, but those who smoke pot are automatically wasters incapable of having a job or any form of income. rolleyes.gif

Those that are against legalisation seem to be basing their entire argument on inaccurate stereotypes and chemical-physical fallacies.

Edited by LargeAl

I've been on the end of a theft from a junkie but then again I've also seen absolute strangers walk up to one another and punch the living daylights out of each other because they were drunk.

Agreed, drink is a big big problem, when consumed in excess. I've never smoked weed so I'm not entirely sure of the effects after one or two spliffs, but I can't imagine a couple of spliffs equating to a couple of pints. I would guess that the effects of two spliffs are stronger than that of two pints?

The Netherlands’s system of quasi-legal retail marijuana sales – steadily evolving since 1976 – may have modestly increased the number of marijuana users, but does not seem to have intensified their use of marijuana or the likelihood that they will move on to harder drugs, according to a University of California, Berkeley, study just published in the journal Addiction.

Agreed, drink is a big big problem, when consumed in excess. I've never smoked weed so I'm not entirely sure of the effects after one or two spliffs, but I can't imagine a couple of spliffs equating to a couple of pints. I would guess that the effects of two spliffs are stronger than that of two pints?

Regardless of the amounts, which are often different for different indivuals, they can both be abused and used irresponsibly and both require self control??

i dont buy this

"alcohol is just as bad/worse so we should legalise weed"

as i said earlier alot of people may know how to buy weed but ALOT more dont, so why should we make this more easily available to them.

The argument is - alcohol is a lot worse for you than weed, it's legal so why shouldn't weed be?

Now then - Legalised Weed - cheaper (don't have to rely on black market), ergo need less money to fuel any addiction - it stands to reason then that there would be less of these addiction thefts.

If it's legal then more people would be aware as to it's effects - think about it, which did you know about more in terms of effects - alcohol/nicotine or weed/crack?

I hate this idea that making it more easily available would send society to pot - Alcohol is readily available but we aren't all ****ing alcoholics are we?

I don't smoke weed, I have no interest in doing so, but why should people not have the legal choice as to whether to do so or not?

To quote Bill Hicks - "What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see or take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?"

• Like 1

i dont buy this

"alcohol is just as bad/worse so we should legalise weed"

as i said earlier alot of people may know how to buy weed but ALOT more dont, so why should we make this more easily available to them.

Just have to look back to the Gin Craze in the 18th century to see how alcohol was regarded and how that was dealt with.

The argument is - alcohol is a lot worse for you than weed, it's legal so why shouldn't weed be?

Now then - Legalised Weed - cheaper (don't have to rely on black market), ergo need less money to fuel any addiction - it stands to reason then that there would be less of these addiction thefts. I daresay that alcohol isn't as addictive as weed is. Don't get me wrong I know for some people it is, but I'd guess more people would be addicted to weed than alcohol. If it's legal then more people would be aware as to it's effects - think about it, which did you know about more in terms of effects - alcohol/nicotine or weed/crack?

I hate this idea that making it more easily available would send society to pot Like the pun :thumbup: - Alcohol is readily available but we aren't all ****ing alcoholics are we?

I don't smoke weed, I have no interest in doing so, but why should people not have the legal choice as to whether to do so or not?

To quote Bill Hicks - "What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see or take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" If it's illegal then it's illegal, therefore you have no right to do it.

Also on a side note, cannabis stays in the system for 28 days or more - therefore rendering you unroadworthy in a court of law. Bang goes driving for a month then after a spliff.

If it's illegal then it's illegal, therefore you have no right to do it.

Also on a side note, cannabis stays in the system for 28 days or more - therefore rendering you unroadworthy in a court of law. Bang goes driving for a month then after a spliff.

Completely missed the point there - so long as I do not harm another human being on this planet, it's my business and my business only as to what I do.

On that side note - not really. It may technically be illegal but, unless you've got some incredibly powerful shit and smoke a couple of kilos of it in one go, you'll not be in an unfit state to drive for a month.