Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Legalise cannabis?

Legalise?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be legal?

• Yes
    • No

All of you pro prohibitionists have you ever thought this-

Has prohibition worked? If you scour your brains I am sure that you would know SOMEONE that if you asked you could get some weed from, if you were that way inclined.

And lets say you were under 18, would a dealer care (most likely not, they would just want your money).

Therefore would it not be better to have the state regulating who could get their hands on it(like alcohol/cigarettes), and making sure that users are well informed of the risks before they are even supplied with the drug by state sponsored means?

Another argument- why should the criminals be making the money off the drug, when the NHS (and by default me and you as taxpayers) then have to pick up the bill that the drug then creates in terms of healthcare. Surely if the state were able to recoup some of the losses through taxation (like cigarettes) then it would benefit everybody as there would be more money leftover to spend on other conditions.

I have many more of these morality bases arguments if you are interested!

All of you pro prohibitionists have you ever thought this-

Has prohibition worked? If you scour your brains I am sure that you would know SOMEONE that if you asked you could get some weed from, if you were that way inclined.

I couldn't.

Therefore would it not be better to have the state regulating who could get their hands on it(like alcohol/cigarettes), and making sure that users are well informed of the risks before they are even supplied with the drug by state sponsored means?

Is there a lack of education on drugs now?

Another argument- why should the criminals be making the money off the drug, when the NHS (and by default me and you as taxpayers) then have to pick up the bill that the drug then creates in terms of healthcare. Surely if the state were able to recoup some of the losses through taxation (like cigarettes) then it would benefit everybody as there would be more money leftover to spend on other conditions.

Cigarettes are legal now but there are still criminals selling them.

I couldn't.

Is there a lack of education on drugs now?

Cigarettes are legal now but there are still criminals selling them.

I guarantee you, if you made the effort you could get hold of some. Just go down to a pub at a weekend and follow your nose, it really ain't hard. If you had the intention to try some then it would be really easy. And if you think prohibition actually makes it harder to get hold of drugs then you really are clueless,.

And yes there is a lack of education on drugs. For a start it is not even on the national curriculum, for another thing most of the education consisits of the "Drugs are bad mmmmkay" and the "just say no" sort. And finally those that would be getting into drugs are more likely to be skiving off school the very time these lessons would be taking place. if users are informed of the risks at the moment of purchase it works two ways:

1)It targets the people who need the education directly, as they are the ones having a smoke

2)It is more likely to sink in if it the information is given to them by a medical professional (eg a pharmacist)

And finally when it comes to cigarettes, the actual cost of manufacturing cigarettes is pennies, and the tax on them is exceedingly high. The high tax has led to a black market. The same would be true of cannabis if legalised at taxed. The government would have to make sure that they balanced the taxation demand with the need to stop the blackmarket. Cannabis is expensive at the moment due to the risk dealers encounter with regards to the law. I have no reason to doubt that legal cannabis would be far cheaper than illicit at the moment. There is also the point that yes there are criminals selling cigarettes but the vast vast vast majority of tobacco is sold over the counter, legally and brings in billions in revenue every year.

I guarantee you, if you made the effort you could get hold of some. Just go down to a pub at a weekend and follow your nose, it really ain't hard. If you had the intention to try some then it would be really easy. And if you think prohibition actually makes it harder to get hold of drugs then you really are clueless,.

i dont know where your living but if you can just stroll to a pub and find weed it must be bad..

I don't think I would know where to get them. I do know people that work with ex-prisoners but they are helping them to stay out of prison not go back inside. There may be some down the job centre that would know but I wouldn't want to risk asking anyone. (a) I could get wallopped (b) I could be turned iover to the police © they may actually give me some. I have not been anywhere where I have been approached and asked if I wanted some.

Not sure how I feel. It's true cigarettes are legal but fewer people are smoking them. Does cannibis have the nicotine content?

A lot more research has to be done. It's how much chance there is of it leading to more harmful drugsb that I'm bothered about.

I've heard it can ease pain. If it's supervised and under prescription that may be OK I don't think a wheelbound OAP is going to rob a bank after smoking a spiff to relieve their pain.

Edited by Nightguard

I know a fair number of suppliers and users locally. They don't realize that I'm not with TVP, anymore . I often go into a pub for a pint. They see me,I see them, and the little shits usually drink up fast, and take off. Really hilarious. lol lol

You were a textured vegetable protein once? Well that's made you more interesting.

i dont know where your living but if you can just stroll to a pub and find weed it must be bad..

I'd side with sw_fox on this issue. Weed is far readily available than most people realise. On a side note, if you go into some higher end bars all you have to do is run your finger along the surfaces in the bathroom and you'll more than likely discover that your finger is covered in cocaine.

Edited by FoxyPV

I'd side with sw_fox on this issue. Weed is far readily available than most people realise. On a side note, if you go into some higher end bars all you have to do is run your finger along the surfaces in the bathroom and you'll more than likely discover that your finger is covered in cocaine.

Free high five.

Legalise it? Of course, anything that takes drugs out the criminal arena would be a good thing. Look at Holland for the proof of that.

Do I smoke it? Not a chance, quite a few of the people who I know do and apart from a couple it does seem to effect them, one gets so paranoid after one its untrue and it totally ruins his night. His choice though, can't see the attraction myself.

As for the fully grown men who sit around all day getting monged out on it, well, absolute stain on the nation. Oxygen thiefs.

Carl Sagan did some of best thinking whilst high as a kite.

"I can remember one occasion, taking a shower with my wife while high, in which I had an idea on the origins and invalidities of racism in terms of gaussian distribution curves,'' wrote the former Cornell University professor. "I wrote the curves in soap on the shower wall, and went to write the idea down.

Its all down to responsibility and self control, its not always a negative experience just as drinking doesn't always end with you vomitting in a gutter.

I think the discussion is based too much around the pros and cons of the effects cannabis and not enough about the basic issue of our own freedom of choice to make decisions both good and bad regarding our own lives .

i think it needs to be proved that it's use directly affects the life of others anymore than alcohol etc to justify it being illegal .

• Like 2

I think the discussion is based too much around the pros and cons of the effects cannabis and not enough about the basic issue of our own freedom of choice to make decisions both good and bad regarding our own lives .

i think it needs to be proved that it's use directly affects the life of others anymore than alcohol etc to justify it being illegal .

So I take it you're happy for heroin to be legal?

And if it was proven that cannabis directly affects one less person than alcohol you'd be happy to legalise it, based on the fact that alcohol is currently legal?

So I take it you're happy for heroin to be legal?

And if it was proven that cannabis directly affects one less person than alcohol you'd be happy to legalise it, based on the fact that alcohol is currently legal?

I’m not “happy” about the use of any drug whether legal or illegal , I’d sooner people did not do it , but if the “only” effect is harming themselves , then I really can’t see why anyone should interfere with what anyone does with they’re own lives .

There are a thousand and one things that could ruin a person’s life, from Bunjee jumping or motor racing to holidaying in far off places .

The point or question I’m trying to ask is when should it be right for anyone else to start to dictate what choices another person makes ?

If it can be proven that a person’s lifestyle choices directly affects other people, then we are into a different arena.

I’m not “happy” about the use of any drug whether legal or illegal , I’d sooner people did not do it , but if the “only” effect is harming themselves , then I really can’t see why anyone should interfere with what anyone does with they’re own lives .

There are a thousand and one things that could ruin a person’s life, from Bunjee jumping or motor racing to holidaying in far off places .

The point or question I’m trying to ask is when should it be right for anyone else to start to dictate what choices another person makes ?

If it can be proven that a person’s lifestyle choices directly affects other people, then we are into a different arena.

So was that a yes or a no?

So was that a yes or a no?

I'm not qualified to answer the question so i'll give two possible answers :D

If it can be proven that it's use directly ( or maybe even indirectly if the case is strong enough ) affects the lives of others , no

If it's use is solely limited to endangering the life or well being of the user , yes

I'm not qualified to answer the question so i'll give two possible answers :D

If it can be proven that it's use directly ( or maybe even indirectly if the case is strong enough ) affects the lives of others , no

If it's use is solely limited to endangering the life or well being of the user , yes

It's well documented that drugs such as heroin affect family and friends and victims, so you don't think it should be legal and I'd agree.

So maybe even though you believe in personal choice you appreciate that not everything should be legal. So it's a case of where we draw the line?

It's well documented that drugs such as heroin affect family and friends and victims, so you don't think it should be legal and I'd agree.

So maybe even though you believe in personal choice you appreciate that not everything should be legal. So it's a case of where we draw the line?

exactly , :thumbup:

if a lifestyle choice however distasteful or harmful to the person is limited to that person , then i'd say always let freedom of choice prevail . if however it is provable that a person's choice has wide ranging detrimental affects on others then there is good reason to legislate against it

i don't believe that i personally have seen a good enough reason to legislate against cannabis that can't be equally used against many other personal choices of lifestyle .

Edit;

There aren’t any perfect solutions to all the imperfect faults in the world that we live , so it’s just a case of where to draw the line in the sand as to what should be a personal choice and what should not.

I think cannabis falls into personal choice , even if only marginally .

but that's just an opinion :thumbup:

Edited by Zingari

exactly , :thumbup:

if a lifestyle choice however distasteful or harmful to the person is limited to that person , then i'd say always let freedom of choice prevail . if however it is provable that a person's choice has wide ranging detrimental affects on others then there is good reason to legislate against it

i don't believe that i personally have seen a good enough reason to legislate against cannabis that can't be equally used against many other personal choices of lifestyle .

Edit;

There aren’t any perfect solutions to all the imperfect faults in the world that we live , so it’s just a case of where to draw the line in the sand as to what should be a personal choice and what should not.

I think cannabis falls into personal choice , even if only marginally .

but that's just an opinion :thumbup:

I'd tend to agree and I'm all for personal choice, but there are just certain things which I think it's in the public interest to not allow anywhere nears (guns, heroin, etc...).

It really comes down to opinion with cannabis

Legalise it? Of course, anything that takes drugs out the criminal arena would be a good thing. Look at Holland for the proof of that.

Do I smoke it? Not a chance, quite a few of the people who I know do and apart from a couple it does seem to effect them, one gets so paranoid after one its untrue and it totally ruins his night. His choice though, can't see the attraction myself.

As for the fully grown men who sit around all day getting monged out on it, well, absolute stain on the nation. Oxygen thiefs.

is this the same Holland that taking massive steps to change it's policy including making it illegal for tourists to buy from next year, classing the stronger stuff as hard drugs and making coffee shops members only establisments?

I'd tend to agree and I'm all for personal choice, but there are just certain things which I think it's in the public interest to not allow anywhere nears (guns, heroin, etc...).

It really comes down to opinion with cannabis

quite so :thumbup:

Yes, I think we can both agree that personal choice in life is or should be paramount in law making providing that there is good reason to believe that one’s personal choices do not significantly impinge on another’s wellbeing or safety.

It’s virtually impossible for any of us to do anything that does not affect others in practice though, so difficult choices need to be made and some are more difficult than others.

For the sake of this discussion, let’s ask, “Should skydiving be banned because it is dangerous to the person and possibly others if the skydiver lands on someone’s head or in the middle of a busy motorway causing a pile up?”

I think the easy answer for most people would be that although the risk to the skydiver is significant, the risk to the rest of us could not really be considered as great; therefore it should not be legislated against due to possibilities and maybes.

Whilst I think the argument is not quite so clear cut in legalising cannabis, I really don’t think that the danger to society as a whole is put into any real jeopardy by someone smoking weed , therefore as a personal opinion based on weighing up the possible dangers to anyone other than the user , I’d plump for legalisation on the info I’ve read so far .

is this the same Holland that taking massive steps to change it's policy including making it illegal for tourists to buy from next year, classing the stronger stuff as hard drugs and making coffee shops members only establisments?

They have a right wing government. Yet its still available to locals. Its more to do with the drug tourists than problems with locals.