Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashlar86

Harrison Panayiotou

I don't know but maybe they have a football strategy that dictates the football style / philosophy that is practised at all levels and they employ managers that are known to favour that so you get consistency and players can move seamlessly from one level to the next without having to adapt or change their style, something we clearly do not do, not with our managerial changes.

This may not be the case but I sincerely wish we did.

They might also have greater emphasis on developing individuals rather than winning games, of course players need to be developed to win but not at the expense of developing the skills best suited to their club. not saying we don't do this but it makes you think when we can win the Academy and the vast majority of the players are worth nothing in terms of return on investment..

I'll stand corrected but I think all the Academies work on around 3% becoming professional footballers so the vast majority for all of them will have players worth nothing - when you think that every season we have say 10 players looking for professional contracts the simple maths tells us that if we signed them all on after 5 years you would have 50 players on your books so that isn't going to happen ( bit of a simplistic view but you know what I mean )

Think you hit the nail on the head with MKD - they probably target 2 or 3 players in each age group and ensure they develop as individuals and if thats at the expense of other players and team results then so be it.

I think the under 21 team will be a great way forward for the lads who can't quite force their way into the first team but its essential we get the right guy - would imagine it will be Peake or Beaglehole but perhhaps it should be someone from outside the current youth set up ? Paul Hart or someone of that ilk might be worth a go ?

I'll stand corrected but I think all the Academies work on around 3% becoming professional footballers so the vast majority for all of them will have players worth nothing - when you think that every season we have say 10 players looking for professional contracts the simple maths tells us that if we signed them all on after 5 years you would have 50 players on your books so that isn't going to happen ( bit of a simplistic view but you know what I mean )

Think you hit the nail on the head with MKD - they probably target 2 or 3 players in each age group and ensure they develop as individuals and if thats at the expense of other players and team results then so be it.

I think the under 21 team will be a great way forward for the lads who can't quite force their way into the first team but its essential we get the right guy - would imagine it will be Peake or Beaglehole but perhhaps it should be someone from outside the current youth set up ? Paul Hart or someone of that ilk might be worth a go ?

Jon Rudkin will oversee the Under 21 Team.

That's hardly fair, Moore was about 16/17 when pearson was last here. Probably wasn't ready for League football at that age.

Which is the point i made in the first place, but Jimmy skipped around.

There's nothing wrong with links to other academies. In the modern game it's very rare for an academy product to break into the first team of their respective club, so we should in a way be thankful that we have an academy strong enough to produce the likes of King, Schlupp, Hopper, Moore, Taft and Panayiotou who all seem reasonably close to the first team. Sure, in an idealistic world every team would be developed entirely from the local area, but i'm afraid it just isn't going to happen, especially while big clubs continue to snap up academy products from other clubs and worldwide.

Even we've got Lallauni all the way from Peru, for gods sake, not to mention the new links to Thai academies, so the "local" attatchment is void for any academy really.

I don't know but maybe they have a football strategy that dictates the football style / philosophy that is practised at all levels and they employ managers that are known to favour that so you get consistency and players can move seamlessly from one level to the next without having to adapt or change their style, something we clearly do not do, not with our managerial changes.

This may not be the case but I sincerely wish we did.

They might also have greater emphasis on developing individuals rather than winning games, of course players need to be developed to win but not at the expense of developing the skills best suited to their club. not saying we don't do this but it makes you think when we can win the Academy and the vast majority of the players are worth nothing in terms of return on investment..

Critics of our national football setup, when comparing it with those on the continent, especially Spain, often point out our emphasis on physical attributes and on winning, rather than on the development of technical skills. Maybe they have a point

Oh Pan-i-at-too

He scored on his debut

Another five minutes and he could have had two

Give him 90 and he'll bury you [er, point at away fans here]

Oh Pan-i-at-too

He scored on his debut

Born in Wigston

So he's a true blue

Oh Pan-i-at-too

(to the Balotelli song obviously)

• 1 month later...

Merc

Emerging Leicester City prospect Harry Panayiotou will keep his feet on the ground, despite scoring on his debut at the end of last season, his proud father has said.

The 17-year-old went on off the bench to score the winner as City finished their campaign with a victory against Leeds at Elland Road.

• 3831222.png

Panayiotou is highly thought of at City and considered a promising prospect, but his father, Andy, who is heavily involved in youth football in Leicester, said the success would not go to his son's head.

Andy said Harry was now targeting being more involved with Nigel Pearson's first team next season, but was not getting carried away by his dream debut.

"When we got back from Leeds there were a lot of people to greet him and people were waving flags out of their windows, but Harry is a very humble lad and doesn't get carried away," he said.

"He is progressing really well and he has always reached his targets. He surpasses what I think all the time. We are all really proud of him.

"He won't change. A lot of the younger lads in Leicester are looking up to Harry at the minute and he spends a lot of time around junior football, watching games, because I am involved so much.

"He wants to be in and around the first team next season and feels he can do a job for Nigel, but he knows he has to work very hard."

Andy, who is involved in the organisation of the All Cities Elite Shield tournament, the largest youthfootball tournament in the country which takes place in Leicester in July, said he cried like a baby when Harry grabbed the winner at Elland Road.

"We found out late on the night before the game that he was in the squad so I drove up and stayed in Leeds," said Andy. "We didn't expect him to be in the match-day squad but, when we got to the ground, we saw he was on the bench, then when we saw him warming up we couldn't believe it.

"I am not an emotional man but when he scored I just dropped and couldn't stop crying. I was crying like a baby.

"I was in the away end with his family and a lot of his former football team-mates, who were cheering him on.

"My father is a Leeds fan and his name is Harry Panayiotou as well. To score on his debut against his grandad's team was just brilliant."

Nice read, this lad really is promising, I think the unfortunate thing for him is that there are a lot of promisng young strikers coming through (Schlupp and Hopper) So they really are going to have to show their potential whenever they get the chance. I hope all 3 go out on loan this season

If we get the 5subs raised to 7 i want him at least on the bench?

People seem to be forgetting that we also have Schlupp and Hopper who imo are ahead of him in the pecking order. I believe that Panayiotou was put on the bench as a reward for winning Academy Player of the Season?

People seem to be forgetting that we also have Schlupp and Hopper who imo are ahead of him in the pecking order. I believe that Panayiotou was put on the bench as a reward for winning Academy Player of the Season?

Good job it's the managers opinion that counts then.

Archived