Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
I am Rod Hull

Great Britain - A tribute (because we`re brill)

Lady Isobel Barnett wouldn't have liked the middle classes stepping into her territory . She'd have a brace of pheasant salted out of her local butcher's shop, tucked inside here Burberry without anyone suspecting a thing .

It was more of a challenge to her than actually wanting to avoid paying though. I suppose she was a sort of Leicestershire "Raffles"

She was so used to getting everything on a plate and on the house she probably never carried money with her. Actually it was rather sad a tin of fish and a carton of cream probably a cry for attention that back fired as she killed herself 4 days later.

She was a very charitable person from which I benefited as a youngster.

I seem to remember the story. I heard that she did a lot of work for good causes. It was probably the headlines in the newspapers at the time that upset her. Any charitable work done after that would not be viewed the same and not being trusted she could not bear the thought of.

Reporting news was just as sensationalist back then.

I seem to remember the story. I heard that she did a lot of work for good causes. It was probably the headlines in the newspapers at the time that upset her. Any charitable work done after that would not be viewed the same and not being trusted she could not bear the thought of.

Reporting news was just as sensationalist back then.

It was probably worse in some respects as there were fewer 'celebrities' although compared to today they were actually celebrities to have a go at. When you think of some of the recent shoplifting celebrities they seem to have been able to ride the storm and come out the other side and Madeley got off completely

In 1994 Madeley was arrested for failing to pay for items, including champagne, on two separate occasions at a Tesco supermarket in Manchester. He was later acquitted of all shoplifting charges after citing lapses of memory

In fact doing something illegal often enhances your celebrity status these days.

A Somerset town claims to have beaten the world record for the most sandcastles built in an hour.

Organisers say more than 993 successful sandcastles were built in Burnham-on-Sea during the town's Diamond Jubilee celebrations on Saturday.

Steve Bird, one of the organisers, said the previous record was 574.

He said three independent adjudicators had measured every castle. It takes about six weeks to verify the record with Guinness, he added.

The attempt, which involved several hundred people, took place during celebrations including a parade through the town led by a French band and Olympic torch bearers.

Mr Bird said the sandcastles had to be 2ft across, 2ft high and have four turrets.

"More than 100 were disqualified but we still managed to smash the record," he said.

"We did say after the event it was so successful that this ought to probably be some sort of annual event that we hold in Burnham-on-Sea.

"Possibly we could break the record year-on-year."

She was so used to getting everything on a plate and on the house she probably never carried money with her. Actually it was rather sad a tin of fish and a carton of cream probably a cry for attention that back fired as she killed herself 4 days later.

She was a very charitable person from which I benefited as a youngster.

Yes, sad story I suppose, but I doubt if it was just this incident that caused her to take her own life as she'd been in a sad and reclusive decline well before this

If someone nicks stuff who can well afford it, then it always seems to be labelled a "cry for help" .

What is it if a poor person steals stuff just to live or make life a bit better , isn’t that a cry for help too, albeit for a different sort of help?

Basically then, every theft must be a cry for help .

Yes, sad story I suppose, but I doubt if it was just this incident that caused her to take her own life as she'd been in a sad and reclusive decline well before this

If someone nicks stuff who can well afford it, then it always seems to be labelled a "cry for help" .

What is it if a poor person steals stuff just to live or make life a bit better , isn’t that a cry for help too, albeit for a different sort of help?

Basically then, every theft must be a cry for help .

Sounds logical but the genuine poor bastards should get a job, a shop assistant would probably fit their profile and you can't really expect the likes of Lady Barnett to stoop to that.

Sounds logical but the genuine poor bastards should get a job, a shop assistant would probably fit their profile and you can't really expect the likes of Lady Barnett to stoop to that.

She was a trained doctor ,there was nothing stopping her doing some good in that field , but she chose to take the lady of leisure path when she married into money .

Maybe she did much charitable work and I've got some sympathy for her of course, but not that much really .

She was a trained doctor ,there was nothing stopping her doing some good in that field , but she chose to take the lady of leisure path when she married into money .

Maybe she did much charitable work and I've got some sympathy for her of course, but not that much really .

Gave up the Dr bit in 1948 but she was a Justice of the Piece for 20 years, as you say no excuses really certainly not more than anyone else, just a sad decline and end but at least she had lived the good life.

Gave up the Dr bit in 1948 but she was a Justice of the Piece for 20 years, as you say no excuses really certainly not more than anyone else, just a sad decline and end but at least she had lived the good life.

I've just been reading about her on Wiki and she's not really a titled Lady at all .

It got me thinking and reminiscing of how Britain seemed such a different place back then when she was some sort of "reality TV" star , and how it has changed incrementally without me really noticing it .

I've just been reading about her on Wiki and she's not really a titled Lady at all .

It got me thinking and reminiscing of how Britain seemed such a different place back then when she was some sort of "reality TV" star , and how it has changed incrementally without me really noticing it .

Reality "stars" are now plucked from the bottom rather than the top because they are happy to make complete fools of themselves and be manipulated for their 15 minutes of fame and some ££££ and the small prospect of going viral.

Diamond Jubilee: City welcomes Cunard's Three Queens

It is the first time all three of the ships have been in Southampton together

Southampton is hosting a Diamond Jubilee celebration involving three cruise ships and a display from the Red Arrows.

Cunard vessels Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria sailed up the Solent at dawn alongside a flotilla of small boats.

In the evening, the Red Arrows aerial display team will perform in the skies above the city for the first time.

The day culminates in a 20-minute firework display and live music.

Hundreds of people lined Southampton dockside to watch the three ships arrive in formation and sound their horns in salute, shortly after 06:00 BST.

A giant banner reading "Congratulations Ma'am" was unfurled alongside the funnel of Queen Mary 2.

'Lump to the throat'

The Queen performed the naming ceremony for Queen Elizabeth in 2010 and Queen Mary 2 in 2004.

A Cunard spokeswoman said: "Cunard is proud of its association with Her Majesty and we are delighted to be able to honour her on this special day.

"It brought a lump to the throat when you saw these three magnificent ships together."

video - http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-18307592

http://newsthump.com/2012/06/11/nancy-cameron-fails-in-brave-bid-for-freedom/

Nancy Cameron fails in brave bid for freedom

Nancy-Cameron-freedom-bid.jpg

The eight year-old daughter of Prime Minister David Cameron has failed in her heroic attempt to free herself from life within the Tory leader’s grasp.

Sources close to the eight-year old tell us she had been planning the attempt for many months, and that she was just moments away from making a run for the airport when she was discovered.

Experts have praised the eight year-old, claiming she is clearly wise beyond her years and that normally people are much older than this before they realise how little they care for David Cameron.

Simon Williams, author of Living in Oppression under Pricks told us, “Clearly this was a plan that relied on the weaknesses of her oppressors – their apparent love of alcohol.”

“When the opportunity was presented to her, she would have taken it by just sitting there in the pub like nothing was happening whilst everyone around her left. It’s a genius move, really.”

Nancy Cameron escape

The Camerons have dismissed the incident as ‘one of those things’, though Nancy has so far not been able to speak about her recapture to members of the press.

As one journalist explained, “Until we hear from Nancy herself we simply don’t know what reprisals she faces for this brazen sign of resistence.”

“She could face as much as ten more years under this regime. The poor girl.”

Meanwhile a government spokesperson explained that, “No, David Cameron returning to the pub to pick up his daughter is not technically another government u-turn.”

• 1 month later...

I know exactly how you feel Webbo , and if he wanted a packet of crisps to go with his pint, I’d willingly stump up the difference.

Sometimes my emotions can make act me in a totally irrational manner ,and I'd probably regret it the next day though !

Archived