Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
I am Rod Hull

Great Britain - A tribute (because we`re brill)

Providing the kill is swift it is no different to any other predator/prey relationship.

I'm yet to see a pack of lions mount zebras and canter through fields watching their pet hyenas butcher a lone desert mouse they have no interest in living off.

Problem is you can't look at it from any sort of neutral viewpoint as you automatically equate it to the Tory toff lifestyle you hate.

It's a wonderful tradition of the country. To compare it to dog fighting is utterly ridiculous.

I do have some prejudices and biases, of course, we all do. However I'd say I'm reasonably fair and reserved on the issue of fox hunting and quite able to take a step back and see it from a relatively neutral perspective. The PETA crowd offend my sensibilities just as much, if not more so, than the pomp and the camp ceremonious nature of the hunt itself. I also recognize it sustains a number of jobs country wide, is part of the rural lifestyle and economy and respect the rights of the individual to entertain themselves in any way they see fit as long as it's of no harm to their fellow man.

But I'm just yet to hear any argument that justifies killing and potentially horrifically maiming any animal purely for the sakes of fun.

As I said, if foxes are a vermin pest that need to be culled then there are far more efficient, productive, humane and intelligent ways to go about it than chasing them around with a pack of horses and dogs and slaying them one at a time. I don't really think anyone can even begin to pretend that that's the main reason behind the hunt. It's blood sport, pure and simple.

Daggers maintains it's tradition, great, it was once a great Roman tradition to force slaves to murder each other in crowds and a great Western tradition to congregate to watch executions for public entertainment. We realised this was needless and barbaric years ago, fortunately a lot of modern society now feels the same about the hunt and hopefully with time it'll fade out entirely.

For fairness sake we need to give the foxes a sporting chance, it is a sport after all. I propose beefing them up on steroids, giving them talons and horns and have this take place in an arena. So thats a pack of dogs and a c**t in a red jacket with a small horn on horseback versus the Über-Fox. Now that would be worth watching.

bullgore02.jpg

For fairness sake we need to give the foxes a sporting chance, it is a sport after all. I propose beefing them up on steroids, giving them talons and horns and have this take place in an arena. So thats a pack of dogs and a c**t in a red jacket with a small horn on horseback versus the Über-Fox. Now that would be worth watching.

bullgore02.jpg

He`s got to be feigning injury, being Spanish...

I'm yet to see a pack of lions mount zebras and canter through fields watching their pet hyenas butcher a lone desert mouse they have no interest in living off.

lol

You should've at least given the lions swords and attached rotating knives to the hyenas.

But I'm just yet to hear any argument that justifies killing and potentially horrifically maiming any animal purely for the sakes of fun.

And I've not heard one that has convinced me that hunting of any form should not be practised.

Daggers maintains it's tradition, great, it was once a great Roman tradition to force slaves to murder each other in crowds and a great Western tradition to congregate to watch executions for public entertainment. We realised this was needless and barbaric years ago, fortunately a lot of modern society now feels the same about the hunt and hopefully with time it'll fade out entirely.

Again lol

Hunting an animal does not equate to forcing humans to kill each other.

Of course those practices were more extreme but then I'd like to think we've evolved significantly as a society and a race since the times of monarchy and theocracy dominating our cultures.

But that's not to say the evolution has ceased.

I take no issue with the hunting of animals for food or hides or even for our "protection." As I've said, I'm not morally against the execution of foxes or the "controlling" of their numbers, if it's a necessary action then so be it.

My problem is purely with those who take enjoyment out of the killing and the maiming of another living creature. I can't think of any justification for it and the fact that you've resorted to laughter emoticons to try and dismiss what you see as hyperbole as opposed to treating me with the respect you normally would and offering up a genuine counter argument suggests to me that, as a good natured and kindly human being, neither can you.

I agree with Finners. Many species have been or are virtally wiped out because of hunting just for pleasure or gratification.

There is one story though that I find amusing and sad at the same time. May have been on QI. There is an small island somewhere where uninhabited and one bloke was there for research or some other reason. He had a cat with him and the cat used to go out and kill a certain species of bed. Finished up killing every one on the island which is the only place this bird could be found. Tragic but you cannot blame the cat as its instinct was to hunt and kill but if a man/woman was to go around the island shooting all the birds for a bit of sport and fun it would be wrong.

Guest MattP

Good job I didn't bring up Pheasant shooting, makes Foxhunting looks like a girls tea party.

http://www.h2g2.com/...entry/A11484902

This what I was thinking of.Just a small extract.

Due to Tibbles' expert mousing skills (or indeed, 'birding' skills), the wren colony on Stephens Island, perhaps a total of ten mating pairs, was extinct within the year of discovery. In fact, so successful was Tibbles in her apparent genocide that the Christchurch Press reported in 1895 that:

...there is very good reason to believe that the bird is no longer to be found on this island, as it is not known to exist anywhere else, it has apparently become quite extinct. This is probably a record performance in the way of extermination.

The lighthouse cat had possibly single-handedly (or paw-edly, if you prefer) disposed of the bird, a feat exasperating in its seemingly senseless execution. Buller himself stated in 1905 that:

...it would be as well if the Marine Department, in sending lighthouse keepers to isolated islands where interesting specimens of native birds are known or believed to exist, were to see that they are not allowed to take any cats with them, even if mouse-traps have to be furnished at the cost of the state

I can't think of any justification for it and the fact that you've resorted to laughter emoticons to try and dismiss what you see as hyperbole as opposed to treating me with the respect you normally would and offering up a genuine counter argument suggests to me that, as a good natured and kindly human being, neither can you.

There isn't a genuine argument from either side which will convince the other which is why I'm not even going to try. I'm not dismissing you, Rich, I genuinely found the grossly exaggerated examples funny.

I enjoy hunting stuff, I enjoy shooting, I see no moral issue in killing an animal because it is an animal and nothing more.

Where does animal protection stop? Do we cease gardening for fear of hurting worms? No-fly zones near spider webs? Ant crossings? Or is it that society only values beasts which are cute and pet-like? Saving dolphins but not giving a flying shit about the extermination of sharks?

Maybe it's just that I have worked with animals on farms and lived in the country for a good deal of my life; certainly, all of those I've ever known who object to bunnies having a .22 pierce their skull have been city or ex-city dwellers.

My experience is that animals experience less pain and suffering than Ultra does on this forum.

I wish they'd even up the odds a bit and allow "hunt the hunter". I'd be well up for that.

Preferably with one of those high powered bows that are all the rage. It's rarely a clean kill but hey...great fun!

When it comes to fox hunting the dressing up and general toffery does make it harder to see as anything other than a jolly.

I have no issue with hunting for a reason, even if that reason is fun, as long as it is controlled, a Swedish friend of mine hunts meece (the under used plural of moose), he buys a license to kill a moose and spends a weekend tracking it then kills it, if he is successful, he does it for fun, he does also eat the meat and use the skin, but he does it because he loves it. It is allowed and controlled by the government to keep the moose population in check, if the numbers get too big they can destroy areas of nature through over grazing (I think, basically too many causes problems).

With fox hunting, it doesn't seem like a challenge or a skill, it doesn't seem like they do anything other than run after a dog which runs after a fox. Maybe there is a hidden skill in there, but I don't see it. I understand the protection of livestock issue, but I am sure there are easier and cheaper ways of protecting your chickens.

We always have urban foxes sniffing round our garden, and we kept rabbits for years, but they never got any of them because we looked after them and made sure they were safe, I know chicken farming is on a grander scale but the principle remains, a good strong fence is going to be cheaper and better protection than a horse back ride through the countryside every weekend.

It is allowed and controlled by the government to keep the moose population in check, if the numbers get too big they can destroy areas of nature through over grazing (I think, basically too many causes problems).

It is allowed and controlled by the government to keep the population in check, if the numbers get too big they can destroy areas of nature through over population (I think, basically too many causes problems).

It's good job humans don't apply this to fellow humans.

It is allowed and controlled by the government to keep the population in check, if the numbers get too big they can destroy areas of nature through over population (I think, basically too many causes problems).

It's good job humans don't apply this to fellow humans.

Is it?

Is that not what China tried to do with their one family one child policy?

Or do you mean specifically hunting down those that cause overpopulation and are a drain on our resources, singlehandedly solving the overcrowding, obesity and food shortage problems.

I agree with Finners. Many species have been or are virtally wiped out because of hunting just for pleasure or gratification.

There is one story though that I find amusing and sad at the same time. May have been on QI. There is an small island somewhere where uninhabited and one bloke was there for research or some other reason. He had a cat with him and the cat used to go out and kill a certain species of bed. Finished up killing every one on the island which is the only place this bird could be found. Tragic but you cannot blame the cat as its instinct was to hunt and kill but if a man/woman was to go around the island shooting all the birds for a bit of sport and fun it would be wrong.

It must have been a feckin big cot ............I mean cat :D

i think the cat wiped out a whole species ( or sub species) of birds that resided on a lighthouse rock

They must have been perilously close to extinction anyway really

Archived