Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
I am Rod Hull

Great Britain - A tribute (because we`re brill)

lol says the teenager.

Just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't know what happened before I was born!

Britain used to be the biggest superpower in the world (economic & military), now we're a run of the mill European country.

We used to have fantastic industry in hoisery etc, car manaufacture, now we are just the service sector and way too much public sector.

The NHS used to be something to be truly proud of, now it's a disorganised mess.

We used to have a good football team, now it's shit!

The social and moral decline in the past 50-60 years has been huge (say my parents and grandparents anyway). (Although this is happening in most places, not just the UK)

Just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't know what happened before I was born!

Britain used to be the biggest superpower in the world (economic & military), now we're a run of the mill European country.

We used to have fantastic industry in hoisery etc, car manaufacture, now we are just the service sector and way too much public sector.

The NHS used to be something to be truly proud of, now it's a disorganised mess.

The social and moral decline in the past 50-60 years has been huge (say my parents and grandparents anyway). (Although this is happening in most places, not just the UK)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Rise-Fall-Great-Powers/dp/0679720197

Can't be bothered to read about the conversation above but wanted to give a shout out to a fellow mechanical engineer and one of this countries forgotten pioneers Charles Babbage, the "father of the computer".

BABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

babss.jpg

Guest MattP

Everything good about this country has gone to shit in the past 50 years!

Whilst a lot of it has gone to shit there are still some magnificent places in the country.

Just do what i do and spend as little time in major cities as possible.

As was Italy and Greece

Empires come and go. As Rocket Ron said so were Italy and Greece, plus you can add Germany, France, Holland, Spain and Portugal in even more recent times. What goes around comes around. In 200 years the US won't be the world superpower - probably a lot sooner.

Powered by people working for a pittance. The rich don't like to pay their workforce much, but the British workforce said "we're not going to stand for that!" So now they employ people in foreign countries.

It's not great, but people are surviving operations and diseases that would have had a very high chance of killing them 50 years ago

We fluked a World Cup once when we played at home?

The social and moral decline in the past 50-60 years has been huge (say my parents and grandparents anyway). Although( this is happening in most places, not just the UK) The one sensible comment in here.

In 200 years the US won't be the world superpower - probably a lot sooner.

10 years max!

(I must add that I feel for the American people regarding how their country is being destroyed from within, and take no pleasure from their downfall)

lol

It is a fantastic read if anyone's interested. It's all inevitable, The U.S. is next, start brushing up on your Mandarin or Hindi.

Nah, definitely Hebrew!

The book looks decent btw, I'll maybe get a copy soon.

Edit : This kind of talk belongs in the WW3 thread and I won't tarnish this mighty thread with more of the same.

Middle-class shoplifting

Lady Isobel Barnett wouldn't have liked the middle classes stepping into her territory . She'd have a brace of pheasant salted out of her local butcher's shop, tucked inside here Burberry without anyone suspecting a thing .

It was more of a challenge to her than actually wanting to avoid paying though. I suppose she was a sort of Leicestershire "Raffles"

Lady Isobel Barnett wouldn't have liked the middle classes stepping into her territory . She'd have a brace of pheasant salted out of her local butcher's shop, tucked inside here Burberry without anyone suspecting a thing .

It was more of a challenge to her than actually wanting to avoid paying though. I suppose she was a sort of Leicestershire "Raffles"

I used to love "Raffles". Anthony Valentine wasn't it?

Not averse to a spot of shoplifting either. If it's good enough for Winona, it's good enough for me.

Archived